It's a Team's Life Cheap Rates

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
The other day I heard a comment “the rates are to low” and I wondered where they got their information?

What information are the drivers following to determine what rates should be out of each area of the country? Who decides what rates should be for extra services or a specialized truck? Remember the price of the truck, the sleeper, or what a driver is paid has nothing to do with the rate per mile. I wonder if the person who asked this question has done any research at other companies to see what rates they are getting.

READ MORE...

Reactions: redskunk

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Linda, I never told you this, but you broke my heart.
Remember when you pulled into an Az Loves, 5 pm-ish and invited us in for ice tea ?
You were loading from a resort- liftgate- to LA Area.
We were having dinner to be ready for that last minute desperation call to cover it.
For .62 cpm more than you asked.
Then dammit ! The Caffee’s show up !
I wasn’t mad. I always ran less at higher rates with the reefer.
Was I mad ? No. You know how to price your business and I know how to price mine.
All’s fair in love and war.

Same agent. 300 lbs Seattle to Miami. Straight through. They said no way on my rate.
3 hours later, she said if I drop my rate 1/2 cpm I could have the Load.
I went berserk !
You shouldn’t be trying to chisel rates . You should be telling customers why we’re worth more money !!!
BTW, got it at my rate and delivered on time.
Then a week or so later a stranger from that agency called and I said tell C that my next offer will be good for one hour.
If the customer wants to shop for a better rate, my offer goes up 10 cents per hour.
Turns out I was talking to her husband.