Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
966776d27462961a8d0185763cb2b275.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Scott!

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I bought a 2015 Sprinter passenger van as the family hauler. That 4 cyl engine coupled with the 7 speed transmission is sweeeet.

If you want a race car in a van body this ain't it. But it pulls nicely and I averaged 26.1 mpg in the 6000 miles I owned it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If a guy gets one of those Sprinters and if it gets 30mpg as they claim and if van FSC remains where it is then a guy might make a little money doing van expediting.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I can't find anywhere that the 4 cyl will be offered. All the recent stuff with options and prices only show the 4 cyl gas and 6 cyl diesel.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are they selling Freightliners again ?
Or, did they ever stop ?
I would think so. I've pass by the Freightliner dealership in Little Rock and seen Freightliner Sprinters in the lot. I think the only Freightliner dealerships that don't sell them is the ones that Penske bought.

Just seen this, Peach State Freightliner has 2017 Sprinters on lot! Also Tom Nehl in Jacksonville and Lake City FL they got 3 2017 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 170 E.
Nobody wants those 6 cylinders, they drink fuel too quickly. The predecessor was more efficient. Progression not regression.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If a guy gets one of those Sprinters and if it gets 30mpg as they claim and if van FSC remains where it is then a guy might make a little money doing van expediting.

Seems more dependent on carrier rates, although fuel economy can also be a factor at the end of the day.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, carrier rates are a big factor but FSC and MPG play a part. When I was driving my van I got about 17.2mpg and was paid FSC on 15mpg. My actual fuel cost was usually 0.9x cents per gallon because of that. If I'd gotten 30mpg I would have made money on every mile, at least several cents and maybe a dime or more. Not getting rich but an extra dime a mile from good driving techniques in a high mpg vehicle would certainly help a guy make a little money.

Reactions: DollarSign