Mercedes opens Charleston SC Sprinter plant

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
IF I were working for a carrier that had great ties to Freightliner I’d be asking for my fleet pricing options/rebates.

Actually wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve done this already.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wonder what wheelbase they will go with hopefully the longer one, some of these Amazon Sprinter's could trickle down into the used market years from now.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmm, wonder why they aren't buying thousands of Transits or Pro Masters?

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Maybe because their business model pushes the maintenance costs down to the ICs ?

It probably does ... but the same would apply to any manufacturer. If these units are going to be gas powered, you're going to have a very difficult time selling me on the notion that the maintenance will cost more over the life of the vehicle.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wonder what wheelbase they will go with hopefully the longer one, some of these Amazon Sprinter's could trickle down into the used market years from now.
I found this photo online. If this photo is not fake, they look like the 144" wheelbase, not 170".
Also, the factory just opened, so these can't be the 2019 models.tapatalk_1536353342716.jpeg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Grizzly

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I found this photo online. If this photo is not fake, they look like the 144" wheelbase, not 170".
Also, the factory just opened, so these can't be the 2019 models.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Yes those are the 2014-2018. Nice color just need the 177 inch wheelbase on the 2019 model.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I mentioned this to my better half and she said she's one rolling around the 'burg.
Whether this is actually true or not remains to be seen. I'm not calling my wife a liar by any means ... but placing an idea in her head creating an apparent recollection has been know to occur.
I'll do some recon when I get home ...

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Go on YouTube and watch fast lane truck review of the 2019 Sprinter. He does a good review and gives good info on the new models. He said the gas engine won’t be out for a while. I Like the new interior. May have to order the diesel unit. We will see. I’m excited to drive the new unit.

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Go on YouTube and watch fast lane truck review of the 2019 Sprinter. He does a good review and gives good info on the new models. He said the gas engine won’t be out for a while. I Like the new interior. May have to order the diesel unit. We will see. I’m excited to drive the new unit.

If he’s right that the gas engine is $6k less that’s going to be very competitive.