Ahhh-gust 2018 Locations & More

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Baby boomers all have good retirements. They should enjoy themselves before they become too sick to do anything. Spending retirement years in a cargo van is not what I would do if I had a good pension.

Just telling you how it is ...
Also, your van won't be the only one with Cali plates on it. They are now plates from all over the country, literally. The good ol days are just that ..... good .... and old!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Baby boomers all have good retirements. They should enjoy themselves before they become too sick to do anything. Spending retirement years in a cargo van is not what I would do if I had a good pension.

Also, your van won't be the only one with Cali plates on it. They are now plates from all over the country, literally. The good ol days are just that ..... good .... and old!

I want to see a plate from Washington state lol!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I could get my own customers too from a few sources I have. I'm just not healthy enough to be on call 24/7 365. I need to be able to go out of service when needed and not have an entire company hanging on my shoulders.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Dude, I'm tellin' you times have changed.
They're out there. It's not that uncommon. I'll forward you links to carriers based up and down the west coast. They have fleets of vans on the road. Bommers and Eastern Europeans make up a large % of the workforce ...

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can pass a med card, but gave up my CDL. I was depressed and cut it loose before I figured out what the problem was. I now know why I was feeling so unwell after the clots and have the issue under control. As long as I keep my mouth shut all my numbers look good for everything and my meds do not affect driving. You can drive on blood thinners.

If you can pass a physical then go for an under cdl straight truck, better money and if the truck has air ride and a nice air ride seat you will be much more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
.85 running as a unbranded van and paying your own 1,000,000. Cargo insurance, good luck .. It's possible, but most no-namers are doing .75 or less on loaded miles. The Gravy Train days are gone . I M O

Yeah, so vans have multiplied exponentially over the past few years. Seriously, like jack rabbits!
A few contributing factors:
- relatively low entry cost, compared to a larger truck
- no additional licensing required
- boomers wanting to semi-retire and travel

ntimevan is right, in order to have a fighting chance it's best to sign on with a brand name. Those brand name are now requiring med cards, yep even for vans.

I wouldn't recommend coming into this segment to anybody.
You know your way around the room ... you'll figure it out.

I can pass a med card, but gave up my CDL. I was depressed and cut it loose before I figured out what the problem was. I now know why I was feeling so unwell after the clots and have the issue under control. As long as I keep my mouth shut all my numbers look good for everything and my meds do not affect driving. You can drive on blood thinners.

Oh, then by all means go for it.
Rates are down though .... like seriously. Boomers see expediting as a lifestyle rather than a business and don't have the financial pressure as some of us younger folks. They'll do the same loads, same miles .... for less.
Just ask WOM. j/k.

Last edited:
Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Just look for a Eastern European and you may find one. Oregon also.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator

Just out of curiosity what would you consider to be a “ good retirement “?

Stay safe
KG

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Just out of curiosity what would you consider to be a “ good retirement “?

Stay safe
KG

2500 a month and a house and car paid for. I could live on that. It's hard to even consider obtaining a good retirement when you are chronically ill though. Save up as much money as you can while your body still works because one day your body will become a prison cell.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In my 4th year at this and I have never sat 6days......until now! Just got out of Seattle because a smart broker wanted to book with CRE because of our track record. Prior to today many loads going in the 60 cent range and we don't compete on that level.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

That's too low for loads going out of Seattle. People don't believe it, but there are a lot of loads coming out of Washington State. I have gotten them before from Bounce Logistics. You just have to be patient and wait for them.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

If you can pass a physical then go for an under cdl straight truck, better money and if the truck has air ride and a nice air ride seat you will be much more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

I might even go back to truck driving school and get back into the big trucks, but there are no part time gigs in the big trucks.