USDOT

Fast Eddie

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I operate a Mercedes Sprinter Van in the LA market. I do Same Day On-Demand contract loads locally. I want to start running hot shots loads to AZ and NV with backhaul to Southern Cal and wondering if I need a DOT to cross state lines.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I operate a Mercedes Sprinter Van in the LA market. I do Same Day On-Demand contract loads locally. I want to start running hot shots loads to AZ and NV with backhaul to Southern Cal and wondering if I need a DOT to cross state lines.
Need one whenver you run loads within the state or running otr.

Fast Eddie

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Even if my van is under 10,000 lbs. I thought they were exempt from dot unless hauling hazmat. Is there a regulation I can lookup.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Do I Need a USDOT Number?
FMCSA.DOT.GOV said:
You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

• Is used to transport the types and quantities of hazardous materials requiring a safety permit in intrastate commerce (see 49 CFR 385.403).
OR

• Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
  • Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
  • Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation;
AND is involved in Interstate commerce:
Trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—

• Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);
  • Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or
  • Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.

Reactions: Treadmill