Uber’s self-driving trucks division is dead

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
uber.jpg

Uber is shuttering its self-driving trucks unit, a beleaguered program borne out of the company’s controversial multi-million acquisition of Otto nearly two years ago.

The company said Monday that Uber Advanced Technologies Group will stop development of self-driving trucks and instead focus its efforts on self-driving cars.

“We recently took the important step of returning to public roads in Pittsburgh, and as we look to continue that momentum, we believe having our entire team’s energy and expertise focused on this effort is the best path forward,” Eric Meyhofer, head of Uber Advanced Technologies Group, said in an emailed statement.

Read More Here...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good. Nothing should be self driving except elevators and even those are questionable.

Reactions: Turtle

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
As I think about this, if it ever happened there would still have to have someone in the car or truck. I would think that the best way for it to work is to have something in the road for the cars and trucks to work and go by. Too much work and $$$$ to redo that. Don't like the satellites/computer usage cause of glitches and people hacking into them. One thing goes wrong and were all in trouble, lol.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I always wonder how they would work in north east in winter with all that snow and ice and salt and sand that would cover out side of unit. with all sensors they have to keep unit on the road.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I always wonder how they would work in north east in winter with all that snow and ice and salt and sand that would cover out side of unit. with all sensors they have to keep unit on the road.
At the Expo Show John spoke on that same thing. He said he's very bearish about self driving trucks cause of the snow and ice and ect. He also said that Freightliner has put that on the back burner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Treadmill

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Thank god the roads are much safer now....a driverless truck scares me.....I mean 80,000lbs of truck should never be driverless ever.