Older Hino FB (90's) overheat

Ken Hawkins

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi All

I know my Hino is way older than most here, but am still hoping an antique expert may be able to help.

I have a '92 FB with the W04C-T engine. Runs smooth as a 4 pot diesel can, and I can drive all over town on hot days without issue. I live in the mountains on the west coast of BC, Canada, and every trip I make out of town involves a long uphill. This is where the problem kicks in. Empty or full, pedal-to-the-medal or tippy-toe, my temp gauge starts to spike.

Rad is clean and not that old. Belts are tight. No apparent leaks around head gasket. No discolored smoke. No milkshake oil.

My own experiences with leaky head gaskets are that it will overheat no matter what load, it just takes time until it loses enough coolant.

The one thing I have noticed is the thermo-static fan roars at mid-low temps, but quiets down as the temp climbs. I would assume that as temp climbs, the fan should stay loud or get louder?

I also noticed it takes longer to overheat if I can keep RPMs below about 2400. Is this engine prone to cavitation? I have another vehicle with a Detroit 50 series, and on hot days on the same trip, it will also run too hot unless I slow down and keep RPM's moderate. Detroit also recommends an anti-cavitation additive.

How sensitive is it to a rad cap that cannot hold pressure? Haven't tested mine yet.

Thanks in advance

Ken

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I think the fan clutch is suspect.
This engine does not have wet liners. It has them floating on oil They are not very picky about coolant type, either. If coolants have been mixed, a scum can form that clogs up the radiator.
If you suspect a head gasket failure, do a combustion gas test on it. I suggest a kit like this one. https://www.amazon.com/UVIEW-560000...1708356&sr=8-4&keywords=combustion+gas+tester
I'd start by cleaning out the radiator fins and replacing the fan clutch.

Ken Hawkins

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks for that; I have a flush kit, not had a chance to run through it yet.

Will see about clutch fan replacement as well. Hopefully one of those two will clear things up.

Cheers
Ken