How Has Electronic Logging Changed the Trucking Industry?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can a van do as much damage as a TT ?
Sure.
If a van fell asleep and took out my wife and kids would I say “Thank God they didn’t get hit by a TT “?
I’ve always thought any vehicle, any size, hauling freight for hire should be regulated.
It’d sure thin the herd.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It will not be done because DOT is having plenty to do to keep up with the 10000+ ib trucks. They would have to hire as many new officers as there are now or more to accomplish this.

Last edited:
Reactions: VSprinter

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It will be done because DOT is having plenty to do to keep up with the 10000+ ib trucks. They would have to hire as many new officers as there are now or more to accomplish this.

Will ?
Won’t?
Probably won’t.
The need isn’t there.
Only us that competed with them see the need.
The smartest thing for a straight to do is get a reefer, a gate, or certifications so you don’t have to even consider the cheap freight. Let them knock themselves out.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Based on some of the things I see written in here by straight truck operators lately......DOT has plenty of work to do there. I think we would see local (100 mile) drivers regulated before the vans....but either sure would thin the heard....and that would be good.

And yes....the van could kill your family......but the TT would kill several. With so many accidents I see of vehicles plowing into the back of stopped traffic....the van accident is ugly, the TT one is catastrophic.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would be good to see the A-team again. You are a class act. Back to the original question. As an AA&E team. It seems like the rates have gotten better. I think it is because of the eld’s. We are being asked to deadhead farther to cover commitments the agents have made. We have had some runs lately that paid way more than you would expect. We have been really pleased with the offers we receive. Enough so that we will most likely buy a new van in a few months instead of a used rig. With the offers we are getting, the down time is costing us way more than the repairs. We have been down two business days and turned down three good runs and a couple more so so runs. And most of the agents can’t see us cuz we are out of service. It has gotten progressively better each of the last 6 months. Is it because of the eld’s? I would guess yes. So grab your keys!!!

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It will be done because DOT is having plenty to do to keep up with the 10000+ ib trucks. They would have to hire as many new officers as there are now or more to accomplish this.

Will ?
Won’t?
Probably won’t.
The need isn’t there.
Only us that competed with them see the need.
The smartest thing for a straight to do is get a reefer, a gate, or certifications so you don’t have to even consider the cheap freight. Let them knock themselves out.
Should’ve said won’t instead of will. Stupid auto correct.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
For me in a basic two axle 33k truck this year has been better both as the number of loads and the base rate.

The last few months I have had more pre-planed loads, and also we got quite a few loads that we changed the pick up or delivery terms and the customer accepted. Some customers wanted loads picked up asap and couldn't find trucks close by and gave us the load even though I had to deadhead up to 200 miles, of course paying a good rate for all miles. Also, a few times they wanted a straight through delivery of loads over 600 miles, and we got the load with a 10 hour rest break. One load in particular they wanted delivered next day by 1500 since the consignee closed at that time. We got the load to deliver it the folowing morning since I needed to take a 10 hour break and calculated at 45 mph I wouldn't have made it till 1800. Later on they contacted us to deliver at 1800 since they arranged with the consignee to wait for me. I made good time and I delivered at 1600.

I believe this is not all because of the ELD, but a lot of it has to do with the ELD.

Or, just lucky, maybe, but I don't know myself to be that lucky. Lol.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Don't shoot the messenger, but maybe we vanners should be next?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app
I agree with Scott! If you think that then YOU go ahead and sign on with a company that does that or have Murry to start regulating y'all! One shoe doesn't fit all. Just because some don't do the right thing, doesn't mean that WE all burn.

I personally wouldn't have posted that. That's like you know your doing something wrong and asking to be caught, LOL!

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I agree with Scott! If you think that then YOU go ahead and sign on with a company that does that or have Murry to start regulating y'all! One shoe doesn't fit all. Just because some don't do the right thing, doesn't mean that WE all burn.

I personally wouldn't have posted that. That's like you know your doing something wrong and asking to be caught, LOL!
First, yes, if I were solo (which I will be for a few more weeks) I would still wonder if our segment is ready for ELD's. And note that I said "wonder".

Second, I am not really worried about "us" on EO as we tend to act and sound more responsible. The "we vanners" covers a whole class of expediters that are bound by no rules. Only a VERY SMALL fraction post here and of the ones that post on FB I often see a representation of larger numbers that show no evidence of thinking or acting in a responsible way.

Third, the problem isn't with vans operated by Load One or many/most carriers. The problem lies with the fact that van numbers have MORE THAN DOUBLED since 2014 ( I'm only in my 4th year so I guess I am part of the problem). But that in itself makes you ask "where are the loads coming from"? Well, guess what - the number of brokers has doubled also. Since you know L1 hasn't doubled their van portion, and small carriers like Murray have only increased capacity slightly, I would guess that the increase in vans has been in the direction that has their own "authority" and deals direct with multiple/any broker that offers loads. In addition there are any number of load boards that a single van can now view to bid on brokered loads directly. Still, a lot of "we vanners" can and do follow this business model and bid and drive responsibly. Many follow and post on EO. Again, not the problem.

BUT, face it, there are literally thousands of vans that don't post here (or FB either). How many times have you stopped for fuel or passed another van that is so overloaded the front headlights point up? Perhaps running on slick tires? Or read a post about someone bragging about the great distance they can drive without sleep. Or telling the rest of us that we are idiots (this really happens) because we don't need to have commercial insurance.

No, I'm not suggesting that ELD's should be in our future because Dollar Sign, Grizzly, Treadmill and many, many other "professional" expeditors need guidance. It's because of the thousands of others that will risk YOUR families life for a few more dollars. And, yes, a van is as deadly as a TT to the person that dies.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
AND...….What I really meant by "Don't Kill The Messenger" was not to cause you to feel the need to defend your behavior (or criticize mine) but to open Phil's' original question up to how ELD's could/would affect "we vanners"? Believe me, I DO NOT want to stop at weight stations and follow the rules that are being forced on bigger trucks. Rather, I was hoping to create a discussion on (A) how can this industry govern itself? and (B) would ELD's lead to the freight paying more and/or an increase in load availability due to mandatory break and down time?

Reactions: ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Oh boy - and my point is that this is how we DON'T regulate ourselves. This van (Sprinter 2500) could have easily caused an accident, killing or seriously injuring someone, that may have been prevented by ELD and scale visit. And so many posters told her how lucky she was and how WRONG she was, her various replies were:

It was a bad tire

We just drive, the van owner books the load

The broker said we could do it

And, they'll do it again.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
And, if you drive a Str8, this should have been your load but it was taken by a dishonest broker, a greedy owner and clueless drivers.

And, I could be wrong but I would bet that the customer paid Str8 I truck price and the drivers got van money while the broker cleaned up??

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh boy - and my point is that this is how we DON'T regulate ourselves. This van (Sprinter 2500) could have easily caused an accident, killing or seriously injuring someone, that may have been prevented by ELD and scale visit. And so many posters told her how lucky she was and how WRONG she was, her various replies were:

It was a bad tire

We just drive, the van owner books the load

The broker said we could do it

And, they'll do it again.

And that is the mentality out here for a great number of van drivers
The carrier says take it
The broker says do it
And they obey
Without any kind of independent thought process ...
They THINK the Carrier or broker is the boss of them!
Many don’t realize even fleet drivers are the boss of that van
They are responsible for the safe operation of the van
The stupidity is endless and that’s part of the problem out here.
I would agree at this point regulation would actually be s good thing as it would cull the herd of some of the idiots and free loaders
IMO
To add
While it would take awhile sifting thru the deadwood and thinning the herd supply and demand would tighten and your rates just might increase making up for any loss by having to log and so forth

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
ELD 's in any Commercial Vehicle over 10,000 lbs , Yes i think this is great idea .
Will it Ever happen in a Sprinter type/Cargo vans ..? Maybe
Do i worry about it ..? Nope
Do i care how it will affect Vans ...? Nope
Is there alot more i could voice about this topic ..? Yes
But i won't.. Why ..? I don't need the GRIEF that accompanies having an Opinion on Expediters Online . Enjoy your weekend...

Common Sense doesn't come with Directions

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ELD 's in any Commercial Vehicle over 10,000 lbs , Yes i think this is great idea .
Will it Ever happen in a Sprinter type/Cargo vans ..? Maybe
Do i worry about it ..? Nope
Do i care how it will affect Vans ...? Nope
Is there alot more i could voice about this topic ..? Yes
But i won't.. Why ..? I don't need the GRIEF that accompanies having an Opinion on Expediters Online . Enjoy your weekend...

Common Sense doesn't come with Directions
Agreed 100%
The ignorant will rule the issue...

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agreed 100%
The ignorant will rule the issue...
Yup, but I only plan on 16 more months so I won't be one of them.

We all agree .. but my point is, why are you so adamant about this issue NOW? Answer - because you're running solo. Now you have to compete like most guys do. Not so easy is it? Where was the concern in the past? It strikes me as a bit disingenuous and self serving.

Sexagenarians have been a big segment in the small vehicle market driving down rates. Now you wanna scream .. "let's play by different rules .."?

Again, we all agree it would be safer otherwise but so many issues are not regulated ... imo this one won't be as well.