Buying used PM with 330k miles?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
While a low monthly payment seems great and easy to pay off.... the maintenance is what creeps up on you and stabs you in the back.... right in the kidneys.
He could always sell a kidney and be expediting next week in a newer, low mileage van with no note.

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
While a low monthly payment seems great and easy to pay off.... the maintenance is what creeps up on you and stabs you in the back.... right in the kidneys.
He could always sell a kidney and be expediting next week in a newer, low mileage van with no note.

LOL..... Maybe a Brand new Van!! I read once a kidney on the black market was worth $250000.... but who knows with supply and demand..... +/- ,,,, yet true, I think a kidney could get you a Class8 ST, reefer ,white glove, 96" sleeper T800 with liftgate.... plus some bank. :connie1:

Reactions: Moot

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally I would not want to buy any gassser with that many miles on it....

Why not buy a 1999 to 2006 (closer to 2006 would be better) used Diesel Sprinter ?

For the $$ you have to spend you could get a nice used Sprinter...and Diesel to boot.

The older models are easier / cheaper to work on and they get good fuel mileage....

The only potential "issue" I can think of is that some carriers may have age limits on vehicles....

(Although not easy to do on a unibody van (unless you simply take the VIN plate off a "newer" van and using it on an older van , I have thought about doing the following on a straight truck to keep the simplicity / reliability of a mechanical truck with the ability to get hired on with companies that require "newer" trucks....

My solution was to simply take the body work (cab and hood) off a newer truck and graft it on an older chassis...

I would want to title it as "newer" (for getting jobs...due to the VIN # showing a newer truck) but not sure how that would go over if DOT or somebody wanted to do emissions tests etc if you get too new a cab / vin #....).

I want to use the new VIN and title for getting jobs (showing a newer vehicle) BUT the fact that the chassis is old for fuel mileage / maintenance / emissions purposes).

Andrew

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
So basically with my situation with 5000 down and a 60 month loan at 10%
If you have $5000 for a down payment why not open a savings account at a local credit union? Work a real job for another 6-8 months while depositing as much as you can on a regular basis. When you do find a decent used van get the loan from that credit union, people who know you.

Its a 2014 with 330k miles on it. Id basically only drive it till i paid it off then sell it and upgrade.
A 60 month loan is like 5 years. I did the math! Expediting full time, a conservative mileage number would be 60,000 miles a year. That would put you over 600,000 miles on that particular van at the end of the loan. Personally I don't like those numbers.
1. I did that already. Ive been with my credit union for like 7 years since i was a teen. I dont have enough "lines of credit"

2. Thats a typical loan i used for example, and it doesn't mean i literally have to pay it out in that rate until i hit 600k miles. Thats the minimum payment.

3. 60000 per year is 5000 per month, 1250 per week....thats pretty damn conservative. Maybe thats realistic in july and december but not as a general number. I understand it was just an example but im just saying.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching

Why not buy a 1999 to 2006 (closer to 2006 would be better) used Diesel Sprinter ?

For the $$ you have to spend you could get a nice used Sprinter...and Diesel to boot.

The older models are easier / cheaper to work on and they get good fuel mileage....

The only potential "issue" I can think of is that some carriers may have age limits on vehicles....

(Although not easy to do on a unibody van (unless you simply take the VIN plate off a "newer" van and using it on an older van , I have thought about doing the following on a straight truck to keep the simplicity / reliability of a mechanical truck with the ability to get hired on with companies that require "newer" trucks....

My solution was to simply take the body work (cab and hood) off a newer truck and graft it on an older chassis...

I would want to title it as "newer" (for getting jobs...due to the VIN # showing a newer truck) but not sure how that would go over if DOT or somebody wanted to do emissions tests etc if you get too new a cab / vin #....).

I want to use the new VIN and title for getting jobs (showing a newer vehicle) BUT the fact that the chassis is old for fuel mileage / maintenance / emissions purposes).

Andrew
Mostly this, dont wanna have a van thats too old. Not really trying to jump thru the hoops of changing out the vin number, although that may be fraud? Idk.

Also being a sprinter OO isnt my endgame, if it was then maybe but i want to establish credit for moving into more expensive trucks and owning a fleet. Cant buy a new van next if i dont show that i paid back the loan for one now.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
PM me any black market kidney buyers you are aware of

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Andrew
Mostly this, dont wanna have a van thats too old. Not really trying to jump thru the hoops of changing out the vin number, although that may be fraud? Idk.

Also being a sprinter OO isnt my endgame, if it was then maybe but i want to establish credit for moving into more expensive trucks and owning a fleet. Cant buy a new van next if i dont show that i paid back the loan for one now.
Each Vin # is unique to its vehicle. Using the vin plate on another vehicle is illegal.

Why somebody would promote this is beyond me.

Reactions: ntimevan

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Electric radiator fans cannot take idling... even with no idling the bearings go bad, about $1,000 IF YOU CAN GET A NEW FAN SET BECAUSE THEY ARE, ALMOST ALWAYS, OUT OF REPAIR PARTS!

Radiators leak between the metal radiator and plastic tank... dissimilar materials expand differently and cause slow leaks at the seam. $1,000

Headlight bulbs burn out constantly because the connector is not designed to keep a firm hold on the bulb - arcing makes them fail. $30 and lost time every other week.

Roller bearings in the rocker arms fail because of poor design... not sufficient to hold up... ruins cams as well from the pounding- $1,600

Transmission fails because the transmission pump dies... $4,500 IF YOU CAN EVEN FIND A REPLACEMENT AS THEY ARE CONSTANTLY ON BACKORDER!!!

Struts wear out early... about $2,500.

Those are the frequent and common repairs required... we know from experience!

Sent from my SM-G955U using EO Forums mobile app

Hi DC....westminster makes many valid points...repair costs, which also means downtime, which means no income.
Moot makes a great point.... 5 years! for a used vehicle...... with 330k on it. PLUS...what will economy be like in 3 years...4 or even in 2? Maybe your plan is a 5 year note, but pay it off inn two??? a low payment just in case
( good idea, make double payments)
Even you realize that it has HIGH miles for CHEAP. Everybody who has posted makes good insightful info. ;)

Consider why the owner is selling it??? If it was a great truck.... the costs that West pointed out are probably on the horizon???

I know the allure of having your own truck, picking your loads, your places you want to go, etc.... Though I also know the hardships from buying cheap older used up trucks.... experience is the best teacher, draw on the experience from these drivers/owners.... which you are, though it sometimes appears you are seeking an answer that validates what you want to hear/or do. I have been there!!!

While a low monthly payment seems great and easy to pay off.... the maintenance is what creeps up on you and stabs you in the back.... right in the kidneys. And those will be far higher than your note.

Personally..... 330k on a 7/8 truck gives me pause ( The heebeejeebees ) o_O... my husband tends to trade in around 350 to 400k, gets a better deal as it has warranty left ( class 8 TT ) Do the numbers...numbers won't lie to you, emotions will. Your maintenance fund is going to probably or should be equal to that payment? Maybe more? Consider a breakdown in BFE....towing, hotel, downtime, service failure, etc....... you can't sleep in a truck while it's stuck in a garage.
The question I ask myself... " why is the owner selling such a good solid money maker"? Many answers to that question.... my experience, most aren't positive.

I'm rambling.... doing my best to offer any scraps of solid info.... Husband on the road, kids at pool parties, too hot out to enjoy..... :p
No no no no no. I had no plans whatsoever of taking 5 years to pay off a van with 300k already. You guys must think im really stupid lol. The 5 year loan is only an example....if i had 5k to pay on a loan id try to have it paid off within 3 months. The 5 year also gives me a low "minimum payment" if i happen to have a totally dead month or whayever.

Yeah i was already hesitant about it but after all the helpful advice ive gotten im just going to wait to get one only slightly used. I havent exhausted all my options yet as far as a loan.

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Andrew

Your official VIN number is the one that is on the frame rail.
Don’t ask me how I know.

Last edited:

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching

Andrew

Each Vin # is unique to its vehicle. Using the vin plate on another vehicle is illegal.

Why somebody would promote this is beyond me.
Sounds like he was just curious as to if you could do it or not. Now that i think about i just wanted a crime inc episode about how people will do this to stolen cars...so yeah. Bad idea.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1. I did that already. Ive been with my credit union for like 7 years since i was a teen. I dont have enough "lines of credit"
7 years and they won't give you a loan? Who told you that you don't have enough "lines of credit"?
That doesn't even make sense.

Even at your young age you should have some credit history. Hopefully it isn't negative. Get yourself a credit card or two and go buy a few tanks of gas. Pay off the balance every month in full. Also make regular deposits to your credit union savings account.

3. 60000 per year is 5000 per month, 1250 per week....thats pretty damn conservative.
I Thought it rather generous being that I offered it to someone I know nothing about and doesn't even own a van yet. My point was with a high mileage van putting on 60,000 miles annually that van will be toast before the loan is paid off. Up the annual mileage and the toast will be done that much sooner. Sure more miles might mean more money but it also means more maintenance and fuel costs.

You seem determined to buy a ProMaster probably because you are most familiar with those vans. Have you considered a nice slightly used extended GM 3500 or a Ford E-350? Lower initial cost, lower maintenance costs but poorer fuel mileage than a ProMaster.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
7 years and they won't give you a loan? Who told you that you don't have enough "lines of credit"?
That doesn't even make sense.

Even at your young age you should have some credit history. Hopefully it isn't negative. Get yourself a credit card or two and go buy a few tanks of gas. Pay off the balance every month in full. Also make regular deposits to your credit union savings account.

3. 60000 per year is 5000 per month, 1250 per week....thats pretty damn conservative.
I Thought it rather generous being that I offered it to someone I know nothing about and doesn't even own a van yet. My point was with a high mileage van putting on 60,000 miles annually that van will be toast before the loan is paid off. Up the annual mileage and the toast will be done that much sooner. Sure more miles might mean more money but it also means more maintenance and fuel costs.

You seem determined to buy a ProMaster probably because you are most familiar with those vans. Have you considered a nice slightly used extended GM 3500 or a Ford E-350? Lower initial cost, lower maintenance costs but poorer fuel mileage than a ProMaster.
So the bank im with requires 3 lines of credit for a loan....ive had a credit card for like 6 months and another that i rarely used from 2 years ago. Problem is my rent and all that is cash im not on any lease so i cant use anything like that.

I may be learning about buying a van, but i know plenty about expediting in them just transitioning over to my own and from my exp i can do plenty more than that. But who really knows.

This is something i should have been more clear on, just because i said 5 year loan doesnt mean i plan to take that long to pay off a 300k miled van. Its just a standard term of auto loan i used. If 8 did buy a van like this which im not, it would be paid off asap probably in the first few months.

I dont want to mess with anything thats not sprinter style. Too many shippers request sprinters even if its easily fitting. Could also be transit, id like to stay gas engine. If i really exhuast my options on getting van then ill work for a straight truck fleet owner until i can make it happen.

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
Going with a strt trk is tough if your solo,if you find a fleet owner who let's you run solo get a truck with alot of room and load capacity.I would have Passport and hazmat,to give you more freight options.