Is anybody else excited about new gas powered Sprinter?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Should be able to haul 3000#’s legally. With the 170” ext should be 197” of floor space from seat back to back door. Gasser is most likely the 2.0L twin turbo. 188 hp. One dealer said mileage in the mid twenties with the 9 speed trans. Beats the 17.5 in my Promaster. Wish it had a V8.
Gotta remember too the gvwr is 8550 on these vans and not 9900.

Reactions: ntimevan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Should be able to haul 3000#’s legally. With the 170” ext should be 197” of floor space from seat back to back door. Gasser is most likely the 2.0L twin turbo. 188 hp. One dealer said mileage in the mid twenties with the 9 speed trans. Beats the 17.5 in my Promaster. Wish it had a V8.
Gotta remember too the gvwr is 8550 on these vans and not 9900.

So an UNDER 10,000 GVWR Decal would be legit.

Reactions: VSprinter

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I read somewhere that on some 3500 models the gvwr will bein the 9k+ range.

What scares me is the 'connected vehicle' thinggie. I like to turn wrenches when something goes wrong, but on this it will be extremely difficult unless you are connected to the mother ship.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dalscott

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
But aren’t you glad, while you pay $175 per hour,that he’s connected ?

Some of these vehicles can tell the shop what’s wrong and they can direct you to the nearest dealer that doesn’t have parts.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Netherlands test drive article says the us will get no Frt wheel drive . RWD or AWD only.
And it says us gasser will be 188 HP, 258 ft lbs torgue, 9 spd Trans.
I didn’t finish article and may be slightly off on numbers.
I’d look at one, if that type of vehicle is in my future.

Reactions: DollarSign

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I read somewhere that on some 3500 models the gvwr will bein the 9k+ range.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Sprinter 3500 is 9940 GVWR I think and it's the super single wheels!
But aren’t you glad, while you pay $175 per hour
Most Sprinter dealers labor rate is $130hr

Do you expect it to go down in the next two years ?
No! Cost always goes up not down. That's why employees get a cost of living wage increase. Now it doesn't cover close to things going up, but that's what they say.

Reactions: RoadTime

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Here is part of the 2019 Body and Equipment Guideline. You can download the whole BEG here, 11 MB.

1500, 2500, 3500, 3500XD and 4500 models. Gas available in 1500 and 2500 models.

The diesels come with the 7G-Tronic transmission and the gas comes with the 9G-Tronic transmission.

Attachments

• 2019SprinterVersions.pdf
    807.9 KB · Views: 11

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My local shop is $92 an hour. Another reason I go to them and not the dealer for anything not warranty. I'd do the same if I had a Sprinter.

Reactions: DollarSign

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My local shop is $92 an hour. Another reason I go to them and not the dealer for anything not warranty. I'd do the same if I had a Sprinter.

Most of us have learned that the $printer is a peculiar little beast. Local shops are ok for a few things but it really depends. I wouldn't recommend going to a local shop for something as common as changing the transmission fluid. On my NCV3 if the torque converter isn't drained properly .. it's a big deal. If it's your local guy ... well then ok, sure ... but any local guy? no thanks.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are willing to spend 40-50K on a new vehicle, don’t skimp on service work. You might save a few bucks but..... now that our Promaster has 425,000 on it and it’s 4 Year’s old, a local shop is fine. Luckily we have a really good dealer about an hour away. They always get us right in but it still takes to long to get some parts. But they have always been really fair. And yes it does cost more. But they do good work.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With these newer, complex vehicles I’m a firm believer of OEM service work.
Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.
And sometimes you win.
They have the tools and often know the nuances.

One reason my buddy Zorry has had so few problems with his Volvo.
A month or two ago he thought he needed batteries. He didn’t.
Went to Volvo.
The tech asked him a few questions, said you need a battery cutoff switch. They go bad over time.
Tech pulled it in, put a meter on it, it was bad, checked with parts, none in stock, gave Zorry the part number and buttoned it up.
I think they charged 15 minutes labor and Zorry found one he had installed the next morning.
A Truckstop or local guy may have scratched his head for a few hours.

The Truckstop would have been the one hour minimum ( or more) because it takes an hour to do the first 15 minutes of work.
And another 30-60 minutes to pay the bill.

Last edited: