Drive for a fleet owner (cargovan)

Abrahaim

New Recruit
Driver
Hello, Tell me if this is a good deal
Contract with panther .70cpm
I get 55% pay for fuel and get 100% of all fuel surcharge and deadhead.
Orientation travel and hotel paid plus 300 dollars bonus.

Now He owns like 7 vans does panther give us more mile. And how many mile average per a week panther gives cargo vans.

Thanks!

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Assume the van gets 15-17 mpg. At current rates, that’s 17-19.5 cpm. Now, 55% of 70 cents is 38.5 cents per mile to you, from which you have to buy fuel. That means nearly half of your pay goes into the tank.

You’re a grownup, do the math. Then decide.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Assume the van gets 15-17 mpg. At current rates, that’s 17-19.5 cpm. Now, 55% of 70 cents is 38.5 cents per mile to you, from which you have to buy fuel. That means nearly half of your pay goes into the tank.

I wonder when you turn in the fuel receipt for taxes, how much would it come back to you?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

He gets the fuel surcharges on top of his cut of .70 cents.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello, Tell me if this is a good deal
Contract with panther .70cpm
Have you seen this fleet owner's contract with Panther? How long has this owner been leased to Panther. Many fleet owners there are contracted at .75 to .90 cpm depending on when the lease was signed.

I get 55% pay for fuel and get 100% of all fuel surcharge and deadhead.
Orientation travel and hotel paid plus 300 dollars bonus.
The more common split is 60/40 with the 60% going to the party paying for fuel.

Now He owns like 7 vans does panther give us more mile. And how many mile average per a week panther gives cargo vans.
Average miles per week is a difficult number to nail down. There are so many variables from week to week. Also being new to expediting or even new to a carrier will have a negative impact on your weekly average until you learn a carrier's system.

You should also start thinking in terms of dollars per week rather than miles. A 1500 mile load to Laredo looks good up front until you sit there for 5 or 6 days. Running shorter loads in busy freight lanes, staying away from the herd and negotiating the pay for ugly loads often pays more than the long haul.

Only you can decide if this is a good deal for you. You should calculate a minimum weekly dollar amount you need to clear and go from there.

Reactions: Turtle

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Then he still has to cover his Deadhead fuel out of the balance.
Panther pays all DH miles to the shipper at a rate that varies with the DOE weekly average and a formula that pays less than the loaded f.s.c. The current DH rate for vans is .15/mi. and .18/mi. loaded.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wait, Panther would run a truck for .70cpm?
Your question should read: Wait, an O/O would run a truck for .70 cpm? I'm sure Panther would be very willing to pay a desperate truck O/O .70cpm. These desperate people are out there and driving rates down.

This thread concerns vans, not trucks and Panther's current contract to new van leasees is .70/mile.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So he would get 38.5 cents per loaded mile plus FSC of (current) 18 cents for a grand total of 56.5 cents. Out of that he pays for fuel which today at 15 mpg would cost 19.2 cents (gas van) for a gross profit of 37.3 cents....assuming he pays for nothing else. That's the basic math. The devil will be in the details of DH who pays/earns what and how quick he learns to leverage Panther's system to his advantage... and how frugal he is while out here.

Reactions: Abrahaim