Buying a van, wait until after July?

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Ok....I'm confused. Do cargo vans go on sale in August .... Or are courier gigs more plentiful after July? Or you don't need a van for your online gig?? Or... Is landscaping in 100* heat really super fun!
First of all, i dont wanna begin as an owner op by getting 3000 miles all of july like last year sitting in my van idling (ac unit will come later).

I would like to go ahead and get the van and work for a courier place just until august (or permanently if the money is close to exp. Which i doubt) just to fill in this time.

The side business is selling stuff on ebay, clothes to be exact. Nothing to do with transport i just mentioned it since i was giving my list of why i cant be in ST just yet. I go to goodwill outlets where they sell clothes by the pound, and usually they are in spots where it would be more challanging in a ST, yet not impossible.

And no lol, landscaping in 100 degree heat sucks and makes me realize how lucky i am to have found trucking and expediting. Everyone i work with is a little older than me most with families just like paycheck to paycheck barely getting by. I dont wanna ever be like that, ill do all i can to not. Although, its landscaping for a hotel on the beach, so seeing 1000s of chicks in bikinis every day makes it tolerable.

Speaking Strictly as a Fleet owner..... I'm less, very less, inclined to put on a "job jumper".... namely because I'm investing in YOU. Way back in the day ( 1993, I was 22 )....I had a van, and courier pay was a waste of time....maybe things have changed.

As for going to outlets and reselling.... up near me, there is a weekend market ( flea market ) and ST are parked in there. But In My humble Opinion, is not the way to make a good income. I see you are young, and trying to find your place and all. Ebay/and Paypal eat up 13% on avg...plus returns, complaints, etc..... sems to me too be hard to do if you are out driving.

Now I may be biased....But,, I've been around. Being a "jack of all trades, but a master of none" may be ok....which is cool..... multiple streams of revenue and all. Yet I've have learned being "focused" and skilled in a niche is far more lucrative, without juggling so many balls in the air.

Seems July is only slow for Auto freight.... My numbers show this is not the case overasll, BUT, we don't rely on auto in the least bit. Our TT's run hard during shut downs as Plants are re tooling, maybe parts are slow...but not machinery.

As fir vans....It seems you have experience with sitting....saturation is the main culprit. Take some time to drive thru truckstops..... vans are sitting. Now look how may ST's you see sitting. Than how may TT's you see...

Lots of variables for sure....you have to do what is right for you..... in a ST at a flea market, you'll have plenty more space for "junk" to resell" AND...a sleeper...which equals no hotel room.

We all have to learn our place.... Mine was ST since 2002, Husband TT since 1988.... TT freaks me out!!! ST's bore him..... but we found a happy medium.

Last edited:

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Ok....I'm confused. Do cargo vans go on sale in August .... Or are courier gigs more plentiful after July? Or you don't need a van for your online gig?? Or... Is landscaping in 100* heat really super fun!
...so seeing 1000s of chicks in bikinis every day makes it tolerable.

hqdefault.jpg
OMG! I think I can pick myself out in that pic!!!!! Sorry , won't tell you which one!:hearno:

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Checking them out, it looks like most have a little junk in the trunk.
They sure do!!!! But I'm up in the right hand corner,,,,,surrounded by all the MALE chicks, hard to pick me out.... but i'm carrying CV junk in that trunk, ( mini van to be precise! ) NOT Truckload!!!!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would like to go ahead and get the van and work for a courier place just until august
You don't have a van yet. I would think it would take a minimum of 3 weeks to find the right van, purchase it, properly outfit it for expediting, find a carrier and then sign on with that carrier and do the orientation thing. You're pushing towards August already.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
First of all, i dont wanna begin as an owner op by getting 3000 miles all of july like last year sitting in my van idling (ac unit will come later).

I would like to go ahead and get the van and work for a courier place just until august (or permanently if the money is close to exp. Which i doubt) just to fill in this time.

The side business is selling stuff on ebay, clothes to be exact. Nothing to do with transport i just mentioned it since i was giving my list of why i cant be in ST just yet. I go to goodwill outlets where they sell clothes by the pound, and usually they are in spots where it would be more challanging in a ST, yet not impossible.

And no lol, landscaping in 100 degree heat sucks and makes me realize how lucky i am to have found trucking and expediting. Everyone i work with is a little older than me most with families just like paycheck to paycheck barely getting by. I dont wanna ever be like that, ill do all i can to not. Although, its landscaping for a hotel on the beach, so seeing 1000s of chicks in bikinis every day makes it tolerable.

Speaking Strictly as a Fleet owner..... I'm less, very less, inclined to put on a "job jumper".... namely because I'm investing in YOU. Way back in the day ( 1993, I was 22 )....I had a van, and courier pay was a waste of time....maybe things have changed.

As for going to outlets and reselling.... up near me, there is a weekend market ( flea market ) and ST are parked in there. But In My humble Opinion, is not the way to make a good income. I see you are young, and trying to find your place and all. Ebay/and Paypal eat up 13% on avg...plus returns, complaints, etc..... sems to me too be hard to do if you are out driving.

Now I may be biased....But,, I've been around. Being a "jack of all trades, but a master of none" may be ok....which is cool..... multiple streams of revenue and all. Yet I've have learned being "focused" and skilled in a niche is far more lucrative, without juggling so many balls in the air.

Seems July is only slow for Auto freight.... My numbers show this is not the case overasll, BUT, we don't rely on auto in the least bit. Our TT's run hard during shut downs as Plants are re tooling, maybe parts are slow...but not machinery.

As fir vans....It seems you have experience with sitting....saturation is the main culprit. Take some time to drive thru truckstops..... vans are sitting. Now look how may ST's you see sitting. Than how may TT's you see...

Lots of variables for sure....you have to do what is right for you..... in a ST at a flea market, you'll have plenty more space for "junk" to resell" AND...a sleeper...which equals no hotel room.

We all have to learn our place.... Mine was ST since 2002, Husband TT since 1988.... TT freaks me out!!! ST's bore him..... but we found a happy medium.
Well, as far as the van vs others read my second post on this thread. In a nutshell the vans a stepping stone for me to get into ST.

As far as focusing on one trade, i do. But my trade is sitting and waiting for a call from dispatch. I call it my side business to be fancy but its just a time killer. The good will outlets sell clothes like a dollar a pound....im real picky and only buy really in demand brands. Nike, polo, etc. Its like a treasure hunt finding them. Just something to do instead of sitting in the vans sleeper watching netflix.

And yeah it is mainly auto freight, but from my exp so far in a van its at least half of my loads.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They sure do!!!! But I'm up in the right hand corner,,,,,surrounded by all the MALE chicks, hard to pick me out.... but i'm carrying CV junk in that trunk, ( mini van to be precise! ) NOT Truckload!!!!

Got it. No wide loads lol.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Well, as far as the van vs others read my second post on this thread. In a nutshell the vans a stepping stone for me to get into ST.

As far as focusing on one trade, i do. But my trade is sitting and waiting for a call from dispatch. I call it my side business to be fancy but its just a time killer. The good will outlets sell clothes like a dollar a pound....im real picky and only buy really in demand brands. Nike, polo, etc. Its like a treasure hunt finding them. Just something to do instead of sitting in the vans sleeper watching netflix.

And yeah it is mainly auto freight, but from my exp so far in a van its at least half of my loads.

If your 'second" trade is waiting on a load, and your "first trade id being loaded with selling Clothes".... do you have a plan on where to put those clothes should you get an expedite load offer in a van? Just thoughts to consider.

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I think, maybe wrong, its going to be tough to find a carrier that will lease you on. ( We would NOT ) What if I need you on a Friday eve for a 9' load, and your have 4' of clothes in your van???? My load MAY be paying $1 per mile...in a van....but you are committed for a weekend trying to sell clothes, cuz you paid for the space..... Just food for thought.....

Reactions: Ragman

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I think, maybe wrong, its going to be tough to find a carrier that will lease you on. ( We would NOT ) What if I need you on a Friday eve for a 9' load, and your have 4' of clothes in your van???? My load MAY be paying $1 per mile...in a van....but you are committed for a weekend trying to sell clothes, cuz you paid for the space..... Just food for thought.....
How about you just ask how much clothes i have before jumping to all your assumptions? Ive done this for years while expediting i never have more than like 30 articles of clothes at a time they fit on a shelf....definately not 4 feet of clothes....thats like....more than id go thru in a year.

The goodwill outlets are the stuff the retail stores didnt sell, so its mostly crappy clothes cheap brands and what not, its a challenge to find sellable stuff. Like i said its more of a hobby while im bored on the road.

I wont even sacrifice load space for a permenant sleeper let alone some clothes....

Last edited:

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
How about you just ask how much clothes i have before jumping to all your assumptions? Ive done this for years while expediting i never have more than like 30 articles of clothes at a time they fit on a shelf....definately not 4 feet of clothes....thats like....more than id go thru in a year.

The goodwill outlets are the stuff the retail stores didnt sell, so its mostly crappy clothes cheap brands and what not, its a challenge to find sellable stuff. Like i said its more of a hobby while im bored on the road.

I wont even sacrifice load space for a permenant sleeper let alone some clothes....

:chillout: I was trying to offer help, ideas, my experience, food for thought, etc..... "4 foot'' was an example...not an assumption. Do you know the difference between an example and an assumption? Do you know how how big ST's are? Do you know the amount of cargo space you lose in a CV vs. a ST? Why should I ask how much clothes you carry in your van? ( I'm ASKING, cuz you want to be asked:rolleyes: )
I could be wrong as you seem to have it all figured out..... but in my humble opinion,
You sacrifice Loads of space driving a CV over ST, and you're kinda sitting a lot cuz you drive a van.
And from your posts, you drive a van for a clothes hobby? Unless CV interstate laws are different than Class 8 trucks, how have you been doing this for "years"?, you're 23 according to your Bio, and you work lawn Maint currently? Is That correct? If you've been expediting for years, why is a CV a stepping stone now?:morewaitingisrequired:

Last edited:
Reactions: ucfd608