Advice for new O.O.

Indyanon

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
What are my options? Right now my licence is good with 0 points. Haven't had a ticket in years. However, when I was in my early 20's I managed to get a bunch of tickets and NOT pay them eventually getting me a suspended licence. I continued to drive anyway which got me arrested for driving while suspended. They took my licence for 5 yrs. So I took those 5 yrs and payed all my tickets and fees and finally got my DL back in 2016. I'm 35 yrs old now. Since reinstatement and during the suspention I have had NO issues. Companies are not happy with my DMV record obviously. So my question is this...If I were to buy a newer (2015+) straight truck with a sleeper and pay for my own insurance and all that, would their be work for me? Or is my record gonna stop me from getting loads? What companies would work with me? Or what are my options for being OTR. Thanks for any and all advice.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
First off, if your past driving record is your biggest flaw, why drive and fight your history ?
There’s plenty of work out there that won’t involve your driving history.

If you must drive, I’d go through the companies that advertise here that will accept a person with a felony. They evidently believe people can change and will be forgiving. It may be out of their hands if insurance companies say NO.

If you could get your own insurance, it’d probably be too expensive.
I definitely wouldn’t buy a truck. It’s a hard business without baggage. And plenty of people looking for drivers.

Reactions: TeamHutch and C&J

Indyanon

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I was thinking if I had my own truck and my own insurance (DOT,MC) etc. then all I have to worry about is keeping the truck running and finding loads. I will for sure look into the advertisement about driving for someone else. I really wanna be OTR. That is what I want to do. I have the cash and credit to get a truck I just don't wanna pull the trigger on a truck if I can't get loads. If I have to i'll just run loads off of uship or something similar. However, I feel like that would not be the best use of my time and my truck. Point is I really wanna drive OTR. I have been in plastics manufacturing for most of my adult life and I just don't wanna do that kind of stuff anymore. I don't have anything holding me in one place, I like driving, I have ran a few long haul runs just to get a feel for it and i'm certain this is for me.

Indyanon

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
currently have for hire endorsement, taking CDL test on tuesday 6/26/18. Then friend of mine is letting me use his truck for driving skills test. CDL class A will be the end result.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
If I were in your situation, I would obtain a few copies of my MVR and take them to the Expedite Expo in Lexington in July and talk to every carrier recruiter there. I would attempt to look like a professional going to any job interview where appearance with the public and customers would be a plus. I believe that having your own authority and freight insurance would not help you until you know the expedite industry. Finding customers or working with brokers and getting paid in a timely fashion so that you remain financially solvent would be a chore and a source of great stress. If possible, I would have a picture of the clean, damage, late model truck that you are prepared to purchase upon obtaining a carrier commitment. At the Expo, you would have an opportunity to talk with many O/O's that would be willing to give you a chance to co-drive a truck while learning the ropes before you buy a truck for yourself. With experience, you'll have a better idea of the best truck for you when the time comes for being an O/O.
Good luck with your journey into expediting OTR.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just another small thing to consider, your experience. Many carriers require current driving experience, of which you have none, if you do not even have a CDL yet. Consider trying to find a fleet owner(maybe at the Expo) who would be willing to hire you to gain the experience needed to venture out on your own.
Even with your own truck, insurance and DOT number, you may find it difficult to get someone to let you haul their customer's freight without any experience, and Umight not make it on Uship alone.

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
currently have for hire endorsement, taking CDL test on tuesday 6/26/18. Then friend of mine is letting me use his truck for driving skills test. CDL class A will be the end result.

Could you team with your friend? I take it he has a TT as you are attempting your A endorsement. Possibly also consider some of the MEGA TT carriers

Schneider Offers Hope To A Felons Future - Page 1 | TruckingTruth Forum
( I think...but verify...Schneider has a 7 year policy )

Liberty Fleet is a FELONY FRIENDLY company hiring Lease Purchase drivers for OTR positions. We are a 100% Owner Operator and Lease Purchase company. $0 Down No Credit Check program.
( I copy/Pasted this ad from Glassdoor....running ads in Detroit. I'm not a fan of most Lease Purchase plans, and I know ZIP about this company..... Just presenting that options exist )

Reactions: terryandrene