Buying a van, wait until after July?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Try to generate more income through additional jobs so you will have enough money to pay cash for a cargo van, plus enough reserve. ( A good used one for starters)Then give it a go in expediting as an o/o. if you really want to. Build from there.
Just my two cents.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My advise is to stay away from Promasters, before you'll reach 200K miles they'll start having major problems. I had three, not one, and all of them acted the same way. I don't know much about Transits, but I heartily recommend Nissan NV high top.

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
So been planning on getting back into expediting as owner op of promaster 3500. I have about a year driving for owners so i know the ropes.

Just wanna get some input, if you were where i am would you wait until the slow month of july is over with since its so close anyway?

Currently im making like 225 a week working at a hotel, so even if i get like 600 miles a week ill still be doing better, but im not sure if i wanna start the month where ill be hot as hell sitting in parking lots.

Already talked to bank, got a loan ready to go, have my down payment and then some for emergencies, already have all my supplies ordered; straps, e track, etc.

What would you do? Wait till august or go ahead and get moving?
If you aren't concerned about the money in a van, and have another side line biz where you prefer the van.....why wait til August??? Buy the van and use it for your other biz

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

If we were ever going to add a van.... this is the one that interests me. I think this fella is giving a workshop at the expo if I recall correctly.

July 20th....9am....outfitting a van

Last edited:
Reactions: phoenix827

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

If we were ever going to add a van.... this is the one that interests me. I think this fella is giving a workshop at the expo if I recall correctly.

Yeah but hes not selling to anybody.

Reactions: ntimevan

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Yeah but hes not selling to anybody.

Thx for info....too bad, he'd probably do well selling them.... But it's a cutaway, and he did give the specs, and lots of pictures, I suppose a driver could spec it out and have it fabricated. If I was inclined towards putting a van on...I'd do it. It's awesome.

Reactions: Treadmill

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching

I mean you can get a van with a 14' box and haul 6 skids its not uncommon, problem is you need to be under 10000 and that makes it heavier, and combined with the fact that there isnt many loads over 3 skids that are under 3000lbs or whatever you can haul in that.

This info was gathered from many members on here in past posts of me being curious about getting one of these box vans.

I think instead of trying to squeeze everything you can do with a van its way better to just get in a straight truck.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
So been planning on getting back into expediting as owner op of promaster 3500. I have about a year driving for owners so i know the ropes.

Just wanna get some input, if you were where i am would you wait until the slow month of july is over with since its so close anyway?

Currently im making like 225 a week working at a hotel, so even if i get like 600 miles a week ill still be doing better, but im not sure if i wanna start the month where ill be hot as hell sitting in parking lots.

Already talked to bank, got a loan ready to go, have my down payment and then some for emergencies, already have all my supplies ordered; straps, e track, etc.

What would you do? Wait till august or go ahead and get moving?
If you aren't concerned about the money in a van, and have another side line biz where you prefer the van.....why wait til August??? Buy the van and use it for your other biz
Other business is online sales, nothing to do with a van, im saying its harder for me to do it in a straight truck.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
To answer your initial question.

If you don’t buy a van in the next 5 1/2 weeks, I’d just wait until after July.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Yeah im for sure waiting unless i can find a courier type local thing until then. If not ill just wait, only 5 more weeks of landscaping in 100+ degree heat at least....

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Ok....I'm confused. Do cargo vans go on sale in August .... Or are courier gigs more plentiful after July? Or you don't need a van for your online gig?? Or... Is landscaping in 100* heat really super fun!

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Ok....I'm confused. Do cargo vans go on sale in August .... Or are courier gigs more plentiful after July? Or you don't need a van for your online gig?? Or... Is landscaping in 100* heat really super fun!
First of all, i dont wanna begin as an owner op by getting 3000 miles all of july like last year sitting in my van idling (ac unit will come later).

I would like to go ahead and get the van and work for a courier place just until august (or permanently if the money is close to exp. Which i doubt) just to fill in this time.

The side business is selling stuff on ebay, clothes to be exact. Nothing to do with transport i just mentioned it since i was giving my list of why i cant be in ST just yet. I go to goodwill outlets where they sell clothes by the pound, and usually they are in spots where it would be more challanging in a ST, yet not impossible.

And no lol, landscaping in 100 degree heat sucks and makes me realize how lucky i am to have found trucking and expediting. Everyone i work with is a little older than me most with families just like paycheck to paycheck barely getting by. I dont wanna ever be like that, ill do all i can to not. Although, its landscaping for a hotel on the beach, so seeing 1000s of chicks in bikinis every day makes it tolerable.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
...so seeing 1000s of chicks in bikinis every day makes it tolerable.

hqdefault.jpg