Do you trust your GPS?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've got a Garmin Dezel and trust it mostly. I do watch it and make sure it's on point. Had it updated at there home office and type in ATF and didn't show up. Google pulled up two in that town. Took it back in and showed them and they were shock, LOL. ATF was only two tenths of a mile away. LOL

Quite often if I couldn’t find something on my Dezel, I’d find it on Google Maps. Then I’d notice that 4800 Rt 42 is actually 4800 Main St. Or 1210 Wayne is actually 1210 Wain.
Dezl does much better once you put in proper info instead of what dispatch gives you.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The best dedicated GPS for truck routing is probably the Garmin Dēzl (diesel, get it?).
TomTom also has one, but it's mapping overall is much better in Europe than it is in North America.
Rand Mcnally has theirs, and a lot of people like it. A lot of people don't.

Then there are apps for the phone that are semi-decent, like Trucker Path and Co-Pilot Truck.
I like the Garmin because of the hazmat routes. It give you a little more confidence as long as you watch the signs as well. And my co-driver is watching the iPad route as well. And I have done all the other follow up I can do. The seven inch screen is nice too.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Just had my Garmin Dezel updated at there office. There coming out with the Dezel 7" dashcam. They said it should be out in a few months.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I still use my garmin from 2007. It works about 95 percent of the time. The other 5 percent will get me lost. I didn't update it a year after I bought it and then tried to update it a few years later. Too much new data to load so it couldn't do entire country and Canada.

Reactions: DollarSign

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I still use my garmin from 2007. Too much new data to load so it couldn't do entire country and Canada.
Who needs Canada? Does your Garmin have a slot for a memory card? I added a memory card to my original Garmin but eventually just bought a new one.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I still use my garmin from 2007. Too much new data to load so it couldn't do entire country and Canada.
Who needs Canada? Does your Garmin have a slot for a memory card? I added a memory card to my original Garmin but eventually just bought a new one.
Not sure, but it's like having one of those old tvs. :D

Attachments

• 20180630_075605.jpg
    20180630_075605.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180630_075548.jpg
    20180630_075548.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180630_075608.jpg
    20180630_075608.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: scottm4211 and Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hater? Not me. Maybe a bit jealous because of your close ties with the Queen and royal Family. Ya, you have a nice country up dare. About the same size as the U.S. in area but with almost 300 million fewer people. When it comes to digital maps, your country is a waste of megabytes. Keep the Canadian crude flowing our way though.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Not sure, but it's like having one of those old tvs. :D
That slot on top looks like it could handle a floppy disk.
Or a Credit Card, LOL

Reactions: Moot

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
just have to remember it is tool. remember trucks don't belong on park ways in New York.
if you put in Natural Bridge , VA you will end up at 2 shore park dr, in Newport News, VA
there is a civil war gun site called Natural Bridge, on Warwick River, from a garmin gps.
people are unset when they find out they passed it couple of hours back.
but if you put in right address you will end up in right place. always look and double check with map.

TNJenn

Active Expediter
Honestly, as a professional driver one should respect that GPS, although amazing, it is merely a tool and not a substitute for proper load and route planning.Common sense goes a long way, I still carry an atlas with me. If things just aren't looking right I double check.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Honestly, as a professional driver one should respect that GPS, although amazing, it is merely a tool and not a substitute for proper load and route planning.Common sense goes a long way, I still carry an atlas with me. If things just aren't looking right I double check.
Yep I agree. I carry a atlas with me as well. It's the laminated version and I update every 2 to 3 years.