Whats the skinny on Fusion?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Just talk to someone who drives for them in a Sprinter. There saying for Sprinters .75 to .80 cpm. He's been getting .75 or lower cpm and hasn't been running like they told him.

YIKES! 75-80???? .Have never run a van in our fleet, but are those the normal rates for cargo/sprinter vans??? I ask because we get more than that on LTL multi stop loads.
Last month I picked up in Valdosta GA, SAME shipper I deliver too . I GOT 3 LTL loads. Kansas City, Clive Iowa, and Toledo OH.
Consignee pay. I grabbed all 3 for $1 each..... cheap you might say? They weren't expedite loads....for one.
Secondly.... I was paid .90 Valdosta to KC. .90 Valdosta to Clive. .90 Valdosta to Toledo. 10% went to our my carrier for doing back office...
My husband taught me to be/think like an agent....always ask for frieght. If I book a load, I get my cut for truck, plus an Agents cut....
This same thing happened a few days ago in Dalton AL....I just asked! And we agreed on a load price, as I as there! A kicker, I went to an Antique store about a mile away...browsing....A couple had purchased 4 pieces of super nice furniture, Going to Ann Arbor MI area where they lived...but they were distraught on how to get the furniture home.... I told them $550....agreed! I got 500, carrier $55. Kicker...it was cash. I never break the contract with my carrier and insurance.
I was taught to think like a business owner, not a driver waiting on loads.

Here's a word of advise. Thinking like a business owner when you're a contractor can get you into hot water. Saying you won't run cheap freight can get you to be let go. Not saying wink wink when offered a run you can't do legally can get you shunned (not so much anymore in a straight truck). Turning down a load can lead to having your life threatened.

It's a dog eat dog world out there; and most of us wear milkbone underwear. Do your due diligence, and research the companies you're thinking about. Ask around, as the OP did. Make it absolutely clear what you expect. Ask what they're willing to allow regarding any business ideas you might have.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Lots of folks claim to be "ripped off" by their carrier when in reality it is their own lousy math or misunderstanding of the original agreement on how the carrier does things. A 2 week tour of duty makes me think this might be the case here.

Looks like ya mighta been wrong.

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Just talk to someone who drives for them in a Sprinter. There saying for Sprinters .75 to .80 cpm. He's been getting .75 or lower cpm and hasn't been running like they told him.

YIKES! 75-80???? .Have never run a van in our fleet, but are those the normal rates for cargo/sprinter vans??? I ask because we get more than that on LTL multi stop loads.
Last month I picked up in Valdosta GA, SAME shipper I deliver too . I GOT 3 LTL loads. Kansas City, Clive Iowa, and Toledo OH.
Consignee pay. I grabbed all 3 for $1 each..... cheap you might say? They weren't expedite loads....for one.
Secondly.... I was paid .90 Valdosta to KC. .90 Valdosta to Clive. .90 Valdosta to Toledo. 10% went to our my carrier for doing back office...
My husband taught me to be/think like an agent....always ask for frieght. If I book a load, I get my cut for truck, plus an Agents cut....
This same thing happened a few days ago in Dalton AL....I just asked! And we agreed on a load price, as I as there! A kicker, I went to an Antique store about a mile away...browsing....A couple had purchased 4 pieces of super nice furniture, Going to Ann Arbor MI area where they lived...but they were distraught on how to get the furniture home.... I told them $550....agreed! I got 500, carrier $55. Kicker...it was cash. I never break the contract with my carrier and insurance.
I was taught to think like a business owner, not a driver waiting on loads.

Here's a word of advise. Thinking like a business owner when you're a contractor can get you into hot water. Saying you won't run cheap freight can get you to be let go. Not saying wink wink when offered a run you can't do legally can get you shunned (not so much anymore in a straight truck). Turning down a load can lead to having your life threatened.

It's a dog eat dog world out there; and most of us wear milkbone underwear. Do your due diligence, and research the companies you're thinking about. Ask around, as the OP did. Make it absolutely clear what you expect. Ask what they're willing to allow regarding any business ideas you might have.

TN...not sure what you mean, or maybe I wasn't clear.....I run all loads thru my carrier, and act as an outside agent as well

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Lots of folks claim to be "ripped off" by their carrier when in reality it is their own lousy math or misunderstanding of the original agreement on how the carrier does things. A 2 week tour of duty makes me think this might be the case here.

I'm not a contract driver either

Didn't sound like you are. Just throwing things out there.

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
LOL....are you replying to me, or too piper???? Fromm my side, it seems some posts may have crossed:rolleyes:

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Treadmill, I totally agree with you! .90 is nothing to haul. Possibly I didn't explain or communicate well in my post?

What I tried to convey was that :
A: I had zero deahead, I had just delivered, and was in the dock...
B: I did NOT do an expedited move. All they had were 3 skids of LTL freight, consignee pay. It worked for what I needed to achieve.
C: Valdosta to KC, Valdosta to Clive Iowa, Valdosta to Toledo.

Add these miles and I ran 1783. Though when one combines what the loads paid ( $3048 ), It was $2743.20 to my truck, which equates to $1.53 per loaded mile ( no empty miles...well, I did drive home from Toledo to Woodhaven MI.)
Now is $1.53 a mile to the truck Great? NO,, but For LTL freight, non exclusive use of my truck, the chance to move into better areas, and the opportunity to get back to MY freight base/customers in SE Mich..... also get home for weekend. Plus I'd also taken a load into the Valdosta shipper from Detroit area.

My intent was to show one example that not every move has to be expedited. Was it perfect, no....but if I had nothing but perfect days out on the road, I'd get spoiled and fall apart on my first bad dayo_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Ragman and RoadTime

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

My bad.... 6 whole weeks.

If you're going to use a generalization to make someone look bad, first make sure he fits the generalization.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Only 6 weeks at a carrier, a drive by posting and, a going away in a huff type of post..... I stand by my assessment of likelihood. People see miles and dreams and can easily gloss over the details....many carrier recruiters count on it. When it happens, it's not the carriers fault.

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Only 6 weeks at a carrier, a drive by posting and, a going away in a huff type of post..... I stand by my assessment of likelihood. People see miles and dreams and can easily gloss over the details....many carrier recruiters count on it. When it happens, it's not the carriers fault.

Hi Piper, I agree with your assessment, Yet I disagree with your last statement. I believe that it IS the carriers fault, not in this post maybe??,, yet in general. A recruiter is an employee of the carrier, and the carrier should stand by what the recruiter is "selling". Now, if the recruiter is selling pie in the sky number and the such, the carrier needs to terminate the recruiter! If the carrier does not terminate...than carrier condones the recruiters' actions.
Our experience, many "would be drivers" romanticize driving....watch you tube videos on how great life on the road is, etc, yet really don't see the "behind the scenes" work involved.
That said, a rouge recruiter, trying to get his/her numbers up, is a detriment to a company.
Also.... anybody can say anything on "social media"..... Our experience over the years, sooooo many people just want $$$ with out doing the work. Something happened to "work ethic" along the way......

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator

Something happened to "work ethic" along the way......
Yeah, its called technology! LOL

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

What details? You don't know if they're lying until you actually start running. Then, according to most, you should stay with them for 6 months before jumping ship. So what are you supposed to know before you know?