Nervous newbie

DBenton

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Thanks Ragman,
Everything is going well. Hometime the end of this month. 4th of July at home. My favorite summertime holiday. Our only draw back is we must put our dog down. He has been our partner and security chief for 14 years. It's gonna suck.

How are you doing?

Reactions: yogaines

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Very long overdue update:

Good part of the update, We got into a pretty good groove. Things get super easy after awhile and you are able to start venturing out a little bit and become more comfortable with everything. Started making a little more money also.

The bad part of the update:

Over the past few months things have been getting rough. I'm not sure if I've posted about this yet, and I don't care to go back and read the book to find out, so sorry if it's being posted for the 2nd time.

Years ago (2-4, can't remember) I was diagnosed with MS, it presented itself in the form of double vision. It got pretty bad (couldn't drive at night, terrible headaches as my brain couldn't figure out what was where, ect). I was put on injections to "delay" the effects. I say delayed because they cannot be prevented, they can only slow it down. These injections were taken 3 times a week and presented some hellish side effects. Basically gives you the flue for 12ish hours after. It wasn't that bad because most of the time I could sleep through it. My treatment stopped when my health insurance stopped (our original move to Texas). We were meant to get health insurance after the fact but life just got in the way and it wasn't obtainable. Once we got comfortable in the truck we started looking around, it all seems super expensive and your plan isn't the greatest. It wasn't off the table by any means though. Treatment in a truck with no sleep schedule would be hell I imagine.

Fast forward to now, My MS relapsed a few months ago and has not let up since, just getting worse more than anything. I don't want to get too far into what exactly my symptoms are but I'll say for the moment they are limited to the lower half of my body and make things very difficult. The lack of exercise doesn't help either I imagine. We started to walk around the truck stops when we sit for periods of time and while it helps, it just gets worse after a 10hr driving shift, and I have to start all over again.

Now, I'm sure most have already predicted where this is going. After a lot of back and forth with the wife, friends, family, we think its better to find a different career choice for the time being. I have pretty decent paying job already that I start on the 1st of July. This wasn't something that was taken lightly. While trucking has its downsides, we could not come up with a job that we'd enjoy more.

The best part about all this, is our decision doesn't have to be a permanent thing. Expediter Services has been nothing short of amazing. We called and explained our situation and they have been very supportive. We can come back at any time. I've never had a better "departure" conversation with a job. I told them we would bring the truck wherever it needed to go.

The plan is to finish up at the end of the month. We have ourselves setup pretty well with loads for the next week. Pretty short on words at the moment so i'll come back later and add as necessary. I'm not gone for good!

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good Luck to you and your better half.
You’ve got to be an inspiration to others.
You made it look easy.
Thanks for taking the time to share.

davidradio

New Recruit
Driver
Awesome, ok. Everyone I talked to said it was a good environment and everyone is friendly and that the headquarters is really nice. I will definitely will tell them you said hi if I see them. Hopefully we get the same people since you complimented them. So we will have to do a paper log, that’s alright that’s what they taught us in class to so we got that down pretty good but the electronic log they didn’t touch on much so I hope that’s pretty easy. I assume since we have log into the clink they will provide us employee codes or whatever to sign in? I got into the FedEx CC group page on Facebook and did like I did on here EO scrolled down check to see what people asked and info given and what was going on out there. Good group, good info just like on here. I like EO a lot and everyday I’m always on looking through more info old and new seems endless. I’m constantly on here. But they are both good for information.
Correct.

DBenton

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Josh I am at a loss for words. Congrats on the new job. Sorry about all the medical stuff going on.
You have inspired us all to be better at our jobs. I wish you the best of luck. Stay in touch and get better.