Flying J Flagpole Watch

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was at the J south of the Beloit a few weeks ago and they had just installed a complicated, high tech, touch screen coffee grinder/ brewer/dispenser. It replaced one set of tankards. The installer and a J employee were standing by it and showed me how to use it. I wasn't impressed.

I've been seeing those pop up. Don't have a clue how it works, only comments I've heard is it "takes longer":D
On the rare occasion that I purchase coffee while on a load, "takes longer", is not appealing ;)

Reactions: Moot

SGAVan1

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
There’s controversy about Flying J/Pilot not Flying the American Flag at some locations.

As you guys drive around our fine country, report what you see if so inclined.

Location, pole/no pole, Flag/No Flag.

If the poles disappear, the lack of Flags will be less obvious.
Is it true or just rumor they are removing the American flag to be more politically correct and not offend foreign drivers using their services? Guess its like being able to read and speak the English language to get a CDL. NOT!!!

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is a total hoax if you research it. They were founded and owned by a Korean war veteran.
Which side did this Korean War Veteran fight for, North or South? Too many Commies are doing the capitalism thing. Just look at China. You can't have it both ways. Maybe that's why FlyingPilots have windshield washer in the washer bins but no squeegee/scrubber thing. Or no washer fluid but a squeegee/scrubber thing. Or both, but no paper towels or toilet paper. Toilet paper at the fuel island? Never mind!

I fueled at the J in Wayland, Missouri a few months ago. It was 8:00 at night and I needed coffee to continue on to where ever it was I needed to continue on to. 8 coffee tankards things and all were empty. Yeah, I know coffee is a morning ritual, but this was a truck stop, not a racial insensitive Starbucks. I said something. Apparently loud enough to attract the attention of the assistant to the assistant manager who order the assistant to the assistant associate to start brewing coffee, but only in three tankard things because it was now past 8:00 PM. The assistant to the assistant manger was rather rude to the assistant to the assistant associate, ordering her to brew coffee. I felt kinda bad until I remembered where I was. Sorta like when I've been on hold for 30 minutes with my carrier, while under load load and talk with the next available stooge.

Short story long, I waited for the coffee and got it for free. Of course the assistant to the assistant manager was at the cash register and took full credit for the freebie. Is this a great country or what! Even under the leadership of President Trump one can still find a free cup of coffee.
So you didnt get any of the vending machine coffee (you know the machine with the coffee beans that are ground up input in hot water, yum yum not) that they sell for premium rate.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was at the J south of the Beloit a few weeks ago and they had just installed a complicated, high tech, touch screen coffee grinder/ brewer/dispenser. It replaced one set of tankards. The installer and a J employee were standing by it and showed me how to use it. I wasn't impressed.

I've been seeing those pop up. Don't have a clue how it works, only comments I've heard is it "takes longer":D
On the rare occasion that I purchase coffee while on a load, "takes longer", is not appealing ;)
It seems like a gimmick to me. The coffee in the tanks is plenty good enough for me. Much better than the burned truck stop coffee from days of yore.

Reactions: RoadTime

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is it true or just rumor they are removing the American flag to be more politically correct and not offend foreign drivers using their services? Guess its like being able to read and speak the English language to get a CDL. NOT!!!
It's true. I've been following this breaking news on the internet for several days. Not only are they removing the American Flag but on July 4th all Flying Pilots will be Flying the Hammer and Sickle. Um, uh, maybe it was the Mexican Flag or possibly the Rainbow Flag. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Nazi Flag or the Confederate Flag. It could be the American Flag or no flag at all.

The internet confuses me. I think I suffer from information overload. Hey, that sounds like a good reaction drill. Time for me to practice the Information Overload Reaction Drill.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Moot, I read in the GOAT thread how you practice and prepare.
Please alert me so I can be at least one town over.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
...Information Overload Reaction Drill.
35196.original-6580.jpg

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Turtle, you refer to Flying J as one of the “more patriotic companies in America.”
What leads you to make that statement ?
Well, the original Flying J logo was designed as a tribute to military jets, as well as the founder's own love of flying. The company was founded by O. Jay Call in 1968 when he had grown to 4 locations and he developed the truck stop chain concept. From the earliest beginning, Call prioritized hiring of military veterans returning from Vietnam. Pilot Travel Centers was founded by a Korean War Veteran of the Army Corps of engineers. Pilot has from the very beginning actively sought out military veterans for employees. When Pilot and Flying J merged not much changed in that regard, other than their philanthropic efforts towards military veterans has increased, and they actively partner with the military to recruit veterans to the company.

They were a charter sponsor and are an annual contributor to the Bunker Labs, which is a national not-for-profit organization headquartered in Chicago and built by military veteran entrepreneurs to empower other military veterans to start and grow businesses. Created in 2014, PFJ has donated $125,000 annually to the organization.

PFJ is also a major sponsor of Wreaths Across America. They are one of the principal funding sources of the National Desert Storm War Memorial, which was authorized by Trump in March of 2017. They also give money and time to several other veterans organizations. Eight of the current 76 houses of the Fischer House Foundation were built and then donated outright by PFJ. The houses are used by military families while their servicemembers are receiving medical treatment at a VA or other major military medical center. There are 76 Fisher Houses located on 24 military installations and 32 VA medical centers. The houses are between 5,000 and 16,800 square feet, and is designed to provide 8 to 21 suites which can accommodate 16 to 42 family members. There are no costs for lodging or meals to the family members.

There are other things, as well, most of which fly under the radar, but you don't get involved in those sorts of things if you aren't one of the more patriotic companies.

I’m confused as to only flying the flag when appropriate by military protacal.
Civilians or civilian groups or organizations are not required to conform with regulations promulgated by one or more executive departments of the Government of the United States. In the case of PFJ, they have chosen to adhere to the same rules of etiquette as is found in the military. Considering the number of employees and managers at PFJ who first learned the flag etiquette in the military, it kind of makes sense.

Warren Buffet. Genius, yes.
Involved in the day to day operations enough to know if Flying the flag at corporate locations is extremely low priority, doubtful.
Warren Buffet may or may not be involved in day-to-day operations, and almost certainly is not, but there is probably very little of the operations of which he in unaware.

Patriotism is a relative term. I don't find many people who think the Patriot Act is very patriotic. As far as companies getting involved in patriotism for patriotism's sake, I point to the NFL, whose patriotism before the games has been bought and paid for by none other than the Pentagon, purveyor of fake patriotism and the American Way. As well, I'm sure the NFL's pink duds are coming from the goodness of their heart. IMO, the larger the company, the less charity has to do with charity (or in this case, patriotism has to do with patriotism).

Reactions: scottm4211

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Use the iPhone app to order it. Do a search.
To order what? Do a search for what? Where I put my phone? Where I put my coffee? Where am I?

This is not my beautiful van. This is not my beautiful load.