Portable Gas tank

Shawhawk

Seasoned Expediter
Just wondering on whats the DOT rule for carrying a portable 3 gallon gas tank for my generator on my Straight Truck? Do i need a placard? Does it have to be hidden so that DOT wont see it?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Lookup and read section 393.65 of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR). It discusses fuel tank securement and does nor specifically mention portable fuel tanks. Regardless of the vehicle size you operate, you must be conscious of any commodity you are carrying along with the portable gas tank. You may not co-mingle many hazardous materials with fuel in the same compartment. Many customers may not wish to put their freight in a cargo area that smells of gasoline. I have not seen any reference to your situation in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). These standards apply to all motor vehicles unless specifically mentioned otherwise. Section 301 applies to fuel systems.

Your 3 gal. container would not require placards. If you think this or any other item or issue needs to be hidden so that the DOT won;t see it, you're not exhibiting a professional driver attitude.

Shawhawk

Seasoned Expediter
Someone told me that DOT will give me a ticket if they saw an external fuel tank with gasoline in it, thats why im curious if this real or not. I have both of my generator and external gas tank stored in the tool box but its becoming to be a pain to keep taking it out and putting it back in

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I assume you're in a cargo van now so google the reference I gave you and it will explain how an external fuel tank may not extend outside the body of a CMV. These regulations are written for CMVs, so they do not apply tp you if you are in a van and don't haul hazmat. An external fuel tank on a CMV may not be mounted beyond the body of a CMV; therefore, I reckon that anyone being cited by a DOT officer was done so in the spirit of the CMV reg. Section 301 of the safety standards may discuss this same requirement for all vehicles. Check it out so you'll know the facts instead of the opinion of an internet lurker. If you are in a straight truck, you could secure the fuel container in a belly box and a tractor could have an approved container firmly secured on the deck behind the cab.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
It just occurred to me that there may be a way to plumb a fuel line into your gas tank. Then you could connect a flexible fuel line, with a proper fitting, to your generator. Any fuel line may not be proximate to your exhaust system. Perhaps someone here has done this and could advise you.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would think secure, away from sparks, where it can’t move or be struck by something that would cause a leak would be good.
I’d feel better mounted fully enclosed somewhere. Easy to put in a belly box since you are in a straight truck.
And regardless if legal or not, it may cause concern if running through tunnels.
The ticket issue may have to do with regs pertaining to fuel tanks, not necessarily a portable tank. That’d be a concern if you attempted to hang the tank outside.
On stuff like this, I’ll bite the bullet and pay a reputable shop to install it.
Mainly to share/pass off liability if needed.

Last edited:

Shawhawk

Seasoned Expediter
This what i was thinking of doing, of coarse i have to strap it down

Attachments

• 6D626D62-2A0B-4F37-A91E-33A58F9654B0.png
    6D626D62-2A0B-4F37-A91E-33A58F9654B0.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 36

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I should have reread the OP and not assume you were in a cargo van; my bad. As said by bigstickjr, the belly box confinement is a good choice. It should cause you no problems with regulation compliance.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I would advise a metal safety can spring loaded sealed. Also, if you plumb gasoline to your genny, it cannot be gravity fed. I researched this some time ago and remember reading about the gravity fed in the regs, should be able to google it, FMCSA regs.
Flammable%20Storage%20Cans0001.jpg

Reactions: RoadTime

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I should have ask what kind of generator were you going to be using? Honda 2000 or new 2200 has a fuel pump. Honda 3000 doesn't. Don't know what you bought?

Last edited: