May - be Locations & More

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After having a good week and feeling pretty good. I got my final load for the week taking me back home. The pick up was a couple of blocks from my beloved grandparents home. A home that was suppose to be mine upon their death, but I got screwed out of (but that's another story). I practically grew up in this house, the memories alone were priceless to me. My #1 goal has always been to get it back where it belonged. Yeah, it's just a house. But it meant the world to me.

For years I have been watching for it to go up for sale. In hindsight, I should have taken a more active approach then waiting for a sale.

Friday as I was driving by, my dream came to a horrifying end as I saw this...

View attachment 17413

4 homes in total wiped from existence. Including my Grandparents home and my birth home.
I was truly devastated to see this, I wanted to cry.

My guess is that the near by apartment complex bought them all out for expansion.

Looks like there was 1 lone hold out, I wish I could of been the other :(

View attachment 17414
The house I grew up in still stands. The folks who bought it from my grandparents' estate are still there after 29 years; they're the second owners of a 96 year old house. Could I be the third? Probably not; I think everyone on this forum knows I ain't got the snort to buy a $550,000 house on 1/8 acre.

Hugs to you, Roadtime

Sent from my LG-M150 using EO Forums mobile app

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since I was able to get a load back home, I decided to move up the new windshield/rust repair project and get it over with. Will be in the shop on Monday morning, after they remove the windshield they will have a better idea on time to complete it. I was planning for a week being down, but after talking with the guy again, he said maybe 2 weeks :eek:

Hopefully, it will not come to that. Time frame is just a guess until the windshield is cut out, and they can see what it actually needs.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1/8 of an acre ?
Doesn’t leave much of a yard.

The lot is actually 1/7 acre; 6300 sq ft. However, being in a well to do suburb of Philadelphia, makes it an expensive proposition to live there.

Not much of a yard? That’s the truth for sure! It was enough, though, to create childhood memories . Wouldn’t be enough to keep a semi there, tho

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After I drop of the van, I'll need a ride home and back (if I can't get one from the shop).
Even though I could walk it, 4 miles through not the greatest neighborhoods doesn't appeal to me :rolleyes:

Planning ahead since last week. I have signed up for Uber and Lyft. Would be the 1st time using any such service.

From what I have been able to gather so far, there are no Uber drivers around me. However, there has been 2 Lyft drivers pretty steadily around me. So, it looks like I may be giving Lyft a try. Plus, I got a promo code for $5 off my first ride for a added bonus :)

Thinking this might not be a bad side hustle for when home. Yeah, come home to drive more :rolleyes:

Just a passing thought. Although, not having a car could be a problem :JC-hysterical:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had a most amazing Uber experience a few weeks ago.
First time using it.
In an industrial area in Indianapolis, took 3 minutes for the car to arrive!
She said she was driving by.
3 days later I leave Motel and think I should order a car from the lobby.
Walked outside and ordered car. I think the car was there in 90 seconds. He just got coffee at the gas station across the street.
I know I can’t expect that in the future but what a first impression.
The five mile drive was like $7 one way, $6 back.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First time using it.
Walked outside and ordered car. I think the car was there in 90 seconds. He just got coffee at the gas station across the street.

Ride from an independent contractor ...? Hmmm ...
Did you happen to ask either if they are insured? Did it matter? o_O

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My assumption is Uber makes sure they’re properly insured.
Uber has more at stake than some bozo with a handful of cubes and inadequate insurance.

Really surprised the industry allows me to do for hire stuff on my normal insurance policy.
Not me, but your typical Uber driver.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My assumption is Uber makes sure they’re properly insured.
Uber has more at stake than some bozo with a handful of cubes and inadequate insurance.

Really surprised the industry allows me to do for hire stuff on my normal insurance policy.
Not me, but your typical Uber driver.

When driving for Uber they are covered on the company’s policy. They do require proof of insurance but that is just to make sure they are legal for the state they are in.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: BigStickJr

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First time using it.

Dropped off the van to the shop this morning and had my 1st Lyft experience.
I got picked up in under 15 mins. Considering there is only 2 drivers in my area, I didn't think that was long to wait.
The driver also is a Uber driver. Huh, I never thought about driving for both.
Got confirmation that no Uber drivers will show up in my area because the signal doesn't reach that far o_O
I found that rather interesting. Lyft was doing select areas also, but decided to add all of Michigan (according to the driver).

I had a real good experience. I really like knowing how much the ride will cost upfront, tracking their ETA, who is picking me up, not needing to pay the driver directly, and instant receipt of payment.

I was hesitant in the past about using a service like this, but will definitely use it again :)

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Dropped off the van to the shop this morning and had my 1st Lyft experience.
I got picked up in under 15 mins. Considering there is only 2 drivers in my area, I didn't think that was long to wait.
The driver also is a Uber driver. Huh, I never thought about driving for both.
Got confirmation that no Uber drivers will show up in my area because the signal doesn't reach that far o_O
I found that rather interesting. Lyft was doing select areas also, but decided to add all of Michigan (according to the driver).

I had a real good experience. I really like knowing how much the ride will cost upfront, tracking their ETA, who is picking me up, not needing to pay the driver directly, and instant receipt of payment.

I was hesitant in the past about using a service like this, but will definitely use it again :)
I use Uber often when waiting in a big city where parking van can be a problem. The only downside is sometimes it's more than they quote. Like if it coincides with the beginning or ending of an area event they tack on "surge" pricing. My favorite is if the driver gets lost or misses exit YOU pay the higher price regardless

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: ntimevan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Weekend is over.. cheer up

Remember to Smile ..
it reduces Stress ..

I wonder if this bird modeled for the front end of Navistar’s Lone Star Truck ?