2015 freightliner business class m2 vs. 2015 imternational 4300

Which do you prefer?

• international 4300

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

alex108

New Recruit
Researching
Hi I'm looking to buy a truck soon. I'm wondering on opinions from people who have owned or heard anything about these two trucks. Both trucks are 2015. One is a Freightliner business class M2 the other one is in international 4300. Both have the Cummins and Allison combination. Similar miles Etc

175k miles
$45000
thru enterprise

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ive driven both.... similar trucks for similar uses....

I'd say it's a toss up.

alex108

New Recruit
Researching
What about the turning radius? Have you noticed a difference between the two? I've read that the Freightliner has a better turning radius for tight deliveries.

also for expedited freight, what's the oldest year truck a company would most likely take to work for them? Because I do see a lot of trucks for sale that are around the year 2008 for cheap. It seems like these are considered old to work for expediting companies?

Reactions: mccll01

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not being leased to a company, and also just a part timer, i can't comment on age issues. From my limited knowledge i would think a 10 year old truck might be hard to put on with a company.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As someone who ran both in a fleet..... M2...hands down.....and I'm no Freightliner cheerleader either

Reactions: Treadmill

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't touch international, just look at how many are on sale for dirty cheap yet they are 2012 models

Bad electronic systems
Def system horrible

Take m2 any day

Sent from my SM-N900T using EO Forums mobile app

alex108

New Recruit
Researching
thanks for all the input. saw an international this week, had a cummins allison combo, truck had no power to pull itself empty.. i was assuming it was beat and needs a rebuild. had only 175k miles..

Jonathan

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've owned both! M2 without a question... Tighter turn radius, better support, bigger windows (You don't think this matters until you miss your larger window going from M2 yo 4300), more power (dont know how... Rated the same but my 220-hp M2 dominates up our local hill) oh and here's a tip you won't consider: The M2 12v accessory port/cigarette lighter is located OUT OF THE WAY. In the 4300, the cigarette lighter port is so low that your drink will spill into the port and fry it!! (Had it happen) and the port blocks the damn cup holder. The designer clearly didn't drive the thing lol. And as an aside - I have leased from Enterprise and know personally the regional manager... Dont buy their trucks man.... They neglect services due to disorganization or sometimes the lease holder won't return the truck on time.

M2 all the way.... even though every truck has problems.

alex108

New Recruit
Researching
I've owned both! M2 without a question... Tighter turn radius, better support, bigger windows (You don't think this matters until you miss your larger window going from M2 yo 4300), more power (dont know how... Rated the same but my 220-hp M2 dominates up our local hill) oh and here's a tip you won't consider: The M2 12v accessory port/cigarette lighter is located OUT OF THE WAY. In the 4300, the cigarette lighter port is so low that your drink will spill into the port and fry it!! (Had it happen) and the port blocks the damn cup holder. The designer clearly didn't drive the thing lol. And as an aside - I have leased from Enterprise and know personally the regional manager... Dont buy their trucks man.... They neglect services due to disorganization or sometimes the lease holder won't return the truck on time.

M2 all the way.... even though every truck has problems.

alex108

New Recruit
Researching
thanks for the info, the only enterprise truck we saw, did seem to be neglected on maint. but they do offer good warranty in my opinion.

i ended up buying a 2016 hino 268..

alex108

New Recruit
Researching
Jumping from frying pan to fire.
You should have gone with m2

Maybe.
Maybe not.
Time will tell.
the 2016 hino has a 5 yr warranty for the engine, 3 yr warranty for the allison trans.
inside the cab it feels like you are in an aquarium..(great view, no obstructions like the m2 or 4300..) gauges are a little more up to date (digital ..probably bad in a way but i like them)

engine is quieter than the cummins. plus someome on this forum said they are pushing the 900,000 mile mark on an older hino engine.

the dps system is better and more upgraded so there should not be issues

other than the engine, most parts hino uses are the same as international and freightligner..generic brand type of parts..

hino are made by toyota, proven to do well

as stated, time will tell,

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LDB
Your prayers have been answered.
15 years from now Drivers will be asking “ what’s a Cat engine ? “

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Sorry LDB, I have to chime in on my Cat. I know about your bad experience w/ Cat and understand, but, I went 1.3 mil on my 1st C-9 (bought as a repo in '07 w/ 75k), that's almost twice the B life. I attribute much of this to running an OPS filter extended drains and oil analysis. Any little injector or pump issue once every couple years where not a big problem and much much cheaper then a truck pmt month in and month out. I put no confidence in Cat's warranty, hell, you tell a Cat store you have Cat warranty, they send you out the door w/ a 2 or 3 week wait before they can look at it and you are stuck with a FL dlr who wants you to pay upfront (but never have). Overall I believe warranties are a waste of money anyway. I now know this engine inside and out and carry enough tools where an injector or pump swap is a roadside for me. Overheads take 45 minutes. I put a Cat reman Long Block in a couple hundred thou ago and now at 1.5 mil, just now getting broke in good, and all this with the original Alllison 6 never been opened, just srvc and filters. All this in an '07 M2 built w/ an '06 mtr so no DPF. Paid off equipment many years ago and still makes good money without the left coast runs. My Cat has served me well and hopefully will the next 10 years, time will tell.

Reactions: RoadTime

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your warranty story is what soured so many on CAT. Once they knew they weren't going to make on highway engines anymore they very abruptly quit honoring their warranties....and CAT was always pretty decent about that.

You got lucky having a C9...the C7's weren't bad either..I never had problems with them as long as the valves were adjusted occasionally. No..the CAT nightmare engines were the C10 C13 and C15 starting with the "bridge" engines in 04 (reliable but horrible mileage) the first ACERT engines in 05 (valve actuators and poor mileage) and the 07up ACERT CGI engines that were just complete disasters and were the last CAT made. When people had to start suing to get warranty coverage and the resale value of their trucks plummeted (a big deal for a fleet) because of the CAT when having a CAT used to help...that ruined it for many.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jumping from frying pan to fire.
You should have gone with m2

Maybe.
Maybe not.
Time will tell.
the 2016 hino has a 5 yr warranty for the engine, 3 yr warranty for the allison trans.
inside the cab it feels like you are in an aquarium..(great view, no obstructions like the m2 or 4300..) gauges are a little more up to date (digital ..probably bad in a way but i like them)

engine is quieter than the cummins. plus someome on this forum said they are pushing the 900,000 mile mark on an older hino engine.

the dps system is better and more upgraded so there should not be issues

other than the engine, most parts hino uses are the same as international and freightligner..generic brand type of parts..

hino are made by toyota, proven to do well

as stated, time will tell,
That’s me!!! With the Hino with 900K. The only thing I can tell you is maintenance is a HUGE must and find a HINO only mechanic not a shop that does Hino as an extra source of income. They need to know the workings of it and the software for it. There are 2 places in OH that I’ve used when it’s been an emergency and then of course I use GreasyShirt. DH to him all the time for maintenance.

Reactions: Ragman

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
"You got lucky having a C9." I suppose a little luck, glad to hear. The fleet owned trk we drove for a year, 2007, was a 3126 so I was already learning about the Cat peculiarities. We drove it for a year and it had 5.46 rears, Allison 6, so it wound up high and our fleet owner would run it what seemed like forever before paying for an oil change. I decided that motor would run with liquid tar in it. It finally sucked a valve and destroyed the motor at about 70mph. I went the C9 because I thought at the time the Class 8 motors were an overkill for our single axle lighter loads, thinking I could milk better mileage out of the 8.8 liter as opposed to 12 plus liters. This Georgia Classic lacks for aerodynamics and the Detroit 60 would have been a better choice because of this had it been available.