Can a driverless truck do this in NYC? Asking for a friend.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For a second there Moot....I thought you were going in the Stonehenge direction.
#tap4ever

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Heres a thought, airplanes are almost all computerized now, pilots really dont do much but be there for emergencies, and maybe do some controlling of the driving around the runway to get into position. But theres still pilots. Its going to be the same with self driving trucks. Truckers there for emergencies, and probably to do the docking. but 90% of your job is going to be like a pilot in a "self flying airplane"....sitting there enjoying the view, ready to take over if s**t goes down. Just my opinion i guess.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a similar opinion.
Except when the stuff on the plane malfunctions there won’t be a red light in view or vehicles on either side, 36 inches away.
How do you keep the safety driver awake and focused ?

Last edited:
Reactions: ntimevan

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
... airplanes are almost all computerized now, pilots really dont do much ...
tenor.gif

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I’ve been in the equivalent of a driverless truck, sometimes a few miles at a time. It started with drug testing. I had to change “vitamins “.

It was a different world back in the 70’s.

Glad I lived through it.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I have a similar opinion.
Except when the stuff on the plane malfunctions there won’t be a red light in view or vehicles on either side, 36 inches away.
How do you keep the safety driver awake and focused ?
Very good point. Drivers are naturally going to zone off after getting used to everything going smooth day after day, so when it does mess up there is a good change they wont be ready to take over. Just another point for the "we arent losing our jobs" side.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
reading about the driverless truck, read a piece on how they have to keep sensors clean and have to be careful. they don't damage them . now I wonder what are they going to do in winter months in snow country, with snow and ice that build up on the trucks. will they know that it is time to stop or person behind computer keep eye on weather.