Question about promaster 2500 or 3500 with 12' length cargo area

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I wanted to get the 3500 extended with the 13' and some change length but due to little credit/not having a co signer, i can not afford this one because i cant find any used for sale within 500 miles. Only new ones for 36-42k. But there are plenty of 2500 and 3500 159" wheelbase with the 12'1.9" floor length that are gently used for around 20k. (Same with transit)

Anyway, so im concerned with taking 3 skids in these vans, the cargo length is 12' 1.9 inches. 1.9 inches isnt a lot of extra room to work with. Someone pointed out in another thread that you have to lean the seat up if the front skid is tall. Im just wondering how jacked up the seat would be if i had to have it flush with the cargo bed? Is it still driveable just a little uncomfortable or not so much?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're going to get into cargo van expediting as an O/O, wait until you can afford a 3500 whatever and have money in reserve. You're not a newbie to expediting so think back when you drove for a fleet owner. Now think of that time as if you owned the van. Do it right. Don't enter this career without the proper equipment and financial ability.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
There are plenty of vans i see that are not the ideal one. It would take me forever to get the down payment i need. Its not that much of a difference in payload, and i rarely get 3 skids. Id rather get the ones im talking about and just not take 3 skid loads. Then once i have the van paid off i can get a driver in this one and get the ideal one much easier when i show i paid off a van. Ill just have to go look at one and see if 3 skids is possible for me or not. A stagnant sleeper would be nice actually.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I look at it like this.

I bought the Promaster 2500 for many many positive factors. That said, I’ll lead off with the negatives, just so you know up front.

Not a lot of leg room up front in the drivers seat, even with the seat all the way back. If that’s a dealbreaker for you, know that now.

That’s it for me.

Because, you have the 144” room. I guess if you had your seat leaned back real far you’d have to bring it up a bit, but you wouldn’t have to slide the seat forward.

If you get a full 12’ x 4’ load, it doesn’t matter if you have the 3500 Pro Master, you don’t have a place to sleep. You just have more convenient space to fold up your bed. Same gas engine in the 2500 and 3500, and a 2500 frame is more than capable of handling a 3,500lbs load.

I ran in a extended Sprinter for a fleet owner. When I got a 12’x4’ load, I didn’t have anyplace to sleep there either. You’re driving to drop off that load and then sitting until it’s dropped off.

Now, the good part.

The average pallet size is 48”x40”. Put them in sideways, and you have PLENTY of room for that in a Promaster (55.8”) then you only use 120” of floor space. That leaves 12” for your fold up bed.

Speaking of “bed” I have a thread called the perfect van bed, it’s for my 2500 if you’re interested.

As you said, you’re not getting 3 pallets all the time, so the majority of the time you will not consider any of this.

As Moot said, if you’re getting into O/O Van, you need to know exactly what you want, and if you want a 3500 save for it. Drive for someone else until you have the cabbage.

All my plans surround a 2500, and I’m just saying it’s not only possible to do the job, but also be comfortable.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I look at it like this.

I bought the Promaster 2500 for many many positive factors. That said, I’ll lead off with the negatives, just so you know up front.

Not a lot of leg room up front in the drivers seat, even with the seat all the way back. If that’s a dealbreaker for you, know that now.

That’s it for me.

Because, you have the 144” room. I guess if you had your seat leaned back real far you’d have to bring it up a bit, but you wouldn’t have to slide the seat forward.

If you get a full 12’ x 4’ load, it doesn’t matter if you have the 3500 Pro Master, you don’t have a place to sleep. You just have more convenient space to fold up your bed. Same gas engine in the 2500 and 3500, and a 2500 frame is more than capable of handling a 3,500lbs load.

I ran in a extended Sprinter for a fleet owner. When I got a 12’x4’ load, I didn’t have anyplace to sleep there either. You’re driving to drop off that load and then sitting until it’s dropped off.

Now, the good part.

The average pallet size is 48”x40”. Put them in sideways, and you have PLENTY of room for that in a Promaster (55.8”) then you only use 120” of floor space. That leaves 12” for your fold up bed.

Speaking of “bed” I have a thread called the perfect van bed, it’s for my 2500 if you’re interested.

As you said, you’re not getting 3 pallets all the time, so the majority of the time you will not consider any of this.

As Moot said, if you’re getting into O/O Van, you need to know exactly what you want, and if you want a 3500 save for it. Drive for someone else until you have the cabbage.

All my plans surround a 2500, and I’m just saying it’s not only possible to do the job, but also be comfortable.
I believe the standard size pallet is 48x48 and 48x45. Haven't hauled too many 48x40 in my 21 yrs of expediting.

Reactions: Solar and ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The standard pallet size in the US is the GMA Pallet of 48x40 (GMA stands for the Grocery Manufacturers Association). It is by far the most produced size of pallet in the US, and is also the North American ISO Pallet.

In second place is the 42x42 pallet, used primarily in telecommunications and paint drums, but is also the ISO Pallet for North American/Europe/Asia trade.

Third place is 48x48 ,used for drums and certain segments of automotive.

After that comes 48x42 used for beverage and chemicals, 48x45 automotive, and then other various sizes according to need.

Reactions: Solar

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The standard pallet size in the US is the GMA Pallet of 48x40 (GMA stands for the Grocery Manufacturers Association). It is by far the most produced size of pallet in the US, and is also the North American ISO Pallet.

In second place is the 42x42 pallet, used primarily in telecommunications and paint drums, but is also the ISO Pallet for North American/Europe/Asia trade.

Third place is 48x48 ,used for drums and certain segments of automotive.

After that comes 48x42 used for beverage and chemicals, 48x45 automotive, and then other various sizes according to need.
That explains why I haven’t hauled any 48x40 pallet loads because i have never been to a grocery whse and don’t plan on it. Also, you forgot the infamous 30x30 for fasteners and the like.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That explains why I haven’t hauled any 48x40 pallet loads because i have never been to a grocery whse and don’t plan on it.
It really doesn't explain it at all. Only about 30% of the GMA pallets produced each year in North America are used for groceries. The other 70% are used for things other than groceries.

Also, you forgot the infamous 30x30 for fasteners and the like.
"... and then other various sizes according to need."

I covered it there. I didn't see any reason to type out the other nine, less frequently used standard sizes