You probably won't agree with this chart.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You are correct. I somewhat disagree. I'd give it a 6.x on a 10 scale for accuracy.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A more accurate chart, or at least as accurate as any subjective chart can be, is probably this one from Sharyl Atkisson. The chart moves to to bottom from news sites to aggregators to opinion sites.

Screen-Shot-2017-04-23-at-1.43.33-PM.png

Otero's chat uses a deeply flawed methodology, but at least she kind of back-door cops to that, in that her methodology has changed with each update of her chart. Then again, pretty much every media bias chart uses a flawed methodology of some kind or another.

The biggest problem with these charts is in agreeing on the baseline, on what is unbiased. Because, when you say a news outlet is biased, the natural question that follows is, biased compared to what?

People are measuring not only the bias in which stories to choose to cover, and which ones not to cover, and how they are covered, but which politicians keep popping up on various networks and how they are treated, the tone of the discussion, whether talking points are allowed to steer the discussions, and even facial expressions of those involved.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
That chart looks better. Agree mostly with it. Anything with CNN in the neutral zone has a flawed baseline.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
One in particular that gets my attention is NPR. I think some of the programming in NPR is leftist, but news reports tend to be unbiased, and an effort is made to maintain that. Especially overseas news reports. On your pic it shows it far left, and I think that's inaccurate.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One in particular that gets my attention is NPR. I think some of the programming in NPR is leftist, but news reports tend to be unbiased, and an effort is made to maintain that. Especially overseas news reports. On your pic it shows it far left, and I think that's inaccurate.
I agree. NPR hosts are clearly leftist, but their Five Ws reporting is about as down the middle as is gets. Of course, there is a bias in which stories they choose to cover, and it's to the left, buuut it ain't that far left.

Reactions: greasytshirt

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That chart looks better. Agree mostly with it. Anything with CNN in the neutral zone has a flawed baseline.
I don't watch CNN, so I can't comment on that.
Lets just say they've changed in the past few years.
Before Obama, CNN very unbiased and very matter of fact in their reporting. As the Obama years trudged along they began to be more left biased (including inserting opinions into the news) in their reports. Since Trump's announcement of his running for president CNN, has thrown objectivity aside and have become mostly a partisan propaganda outlet.

Fox News, on the other hand, began life as literally a propaganda arm of the Republican Party. With the ouster of Roger Ailes and the glaring spectacle that CNN became, Fox News did a little self-reflection and made the decision to move away from the propaganda machine to more factual based reporting. Oh, they still lean right in their reporting, to be sure, but nowhere near like they were. I'd put Fox on the chart you the right of the center line, with no part of their logo touching the center line ,but not really all that much daylight between the line and the logo.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Im not sure the news given out to say the southern states is the same as reported to the northern or western states. I dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums