Can someone explain this pay scheme?

JamesD3696

Rookie Expediter
Researching
"Driver is paid 45 cents per loaded miles plus fuel surcharge( 14 cents per mile).Driver receives 0.12 cents per loaded mile fuel surcharge and is responsible to pay the gas.and tolls. 1500-3000 miles per week.We provide a fuel card ,E-Z pass."

.45 per loaded mile
.14 per mile fuel surcharge

and ?

.12 per loaded mile fuel surcharge?
and then I pay fuel.

I'm so new to this, I don't know if this is reasonable or not. Thanks for any help!

Reactions: JerzyVan79

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure I understand the .12 and .14 there should only be the one fuel surcharge rate not both. Mover heard of a set cent per loaded mile. Usually it’s a 60/40% split (60 going to person paying fuel and 100% of fsc) fuel should cost around .15 cent per mile. But that is all miles. So keeping deadhead miles down will be important. It seems reasonable enough to get you started. Have an end goal though.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: JerzyVan79

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The split should be 60/40 of the base rate. The side paying for the fuel gets the 60% plus 100% of the fuel surcharge. Any other pay is either for time or for miles or for people. In my opinion if it is for time it is split 50/50, i.e. layover pay or detention pay. If it is for miles, like deadhead pay, it's 100% to the side paying for the fuel. If it's for people, like hand load/unload pay, it is 100% to the driver no matter which side of the 60/40 he is on.

There will be disagreement with some or all of that but that's my opinion and that's how I worked it back in the day. You'll find some owners going 60/40 on base pay and FSC and hand L/U etc. and they are disreputable. Now, if they happen to also drive and they happen to also be at the same dock and they come help L/U then they can earn a percentage based on how many participating. YMMV

Reactions: TeamHutch

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Pay by loaded mile is most likely because the truck is leased on to the carrier on a loaded mile basis. At .45 per loaded mile to the driver you will be earning 34.6% if the truck is paid $1.30 per loaded mile, and 37.5% if the truck is paid $1.20 per loaded mile. The fuel surcharge should vary. A few things not mentioned, which should be discussed with the truck owner are things like detention pay, hand unload, layover pay, deadhead mileage pay and so on. A 60 - 40 percentage split addresses these shortcomings.

60-40 split works much better to your advantage all around.

Thanks,

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also have a contract that spells out what is party is required to do etc no contract no deal

JerzyVan79

New Recruit
Driver
I also get a 60-40 split and basically have same rate setup as the original poster and personally have no issue with it as the owner of the van pays for maintenance, Oil and Oil changes, new tires etc which any O/O will contend that repairs and maint is a very large expense. I pay fuel but provided with fuel card. I pay half of Toll fees minus any accidental fines for unpaid tolls at odd places my EZpass was not accepted. Basically if your setup is like mine the pay will be similar to as follows

1,000 loaded mile run = $440 give or take

This is NOT taking any possible extra pay such as Detention, Deadhead or bonus pay for whatever reason which for me is negotiated by my dispatcher/carrier which usually gets worked out without my consent but my carrier has been relatively fair in my case but this is NOT always often the case for many fleet owners/carriers out there! Be advised there are many crooked or just plain scandalous fleet owners out there but, good thing is word gets around fast in this business and a poor carrier will get a bad reputation very quickly it seems, which may help you possibly avoid a scammer. Try to investigate the history of the carrier you are considering or even already working for and their years in service. Avoid or be extra cautious of newer fleet owners but maybe not totally write them off either. Never accept a "You get paid when we get paid" offer unless you want a good headache or worse!

People will say many things in this forum from what I have noticed but, as you do this long enough you will make more of what $$ you deserve and will probably need Vaseline for first few years until you know what you are worth and deserve. I make very close to many O/O drivers that I know and I work for an owner! If you mostly stay in Service and work hard you can make a decent amount or else you will just end up complaining like many here do. I have noticed many drivers will lie about how bad this job or $$ is only to keep new drivers from becoming an expediter due to the already over saturated amount of van to loads ratio which is both a crappy action and yet I still totally understand why they would lie but, I feel anyone interested in doing this work deserves support and the chance and, there is still plenty of loads out there for all of us!

I also hope you realize that the 1400-3000 miles per week is probably NOT accurate as it should be 0-3000 miles per week. Just in case you did not know. No guarantees on how many loads/miles per week in this business that I have seen unless your carrier never has seen slow days/weeks?? If so please send me their info :)

Drive safe and NEVER let road rage get to you or you are definitely in the WRONG job!!! You MUST ignore the many jerk drivers you will encounter in an innumerable amount of time(S) per hour/day!!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Last edited: