The Trump Card...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not famiiar exactly about what false assertions.
Her assertions are so egregious that she should be taken off the air. They are outrageously egregious.

She claimed that he left high school early to join the NBA. He in fact graduated high school.

Reactions: muttly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Trump said yesterday the U.S. plans to impose 25 percent tariffs on steel imports and 10 percent on aluminum. How much steel and aluminum will go into your next truck? How much of a price increase will you pay because of these tariffs? As these tariffs push your truck price higher, how much more valuable will your old truck become? As you and thousands of other buyers defer their next truck purchases, how many truck manufacturing jobs will be affected?

Is this a price worth paying so a few steel and aluminum plants in the U.S. can reopen?

In our gym business, (and in all retail businesses) aluminum used in building our facility is a significant portion of the construction cost. As with trucks, when it becomes more expensive to build a new store, fewer stores will be built.That affects aluminum workers and construction workers.

New and cheaper materials may be developed to replace expensive aluminum, but if that happens, there goes the aluminum jobs the tariffs were intended to protect.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLENT

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Is this a price worth paying so a few steel and aluminum plants in the U.S. can reopen?
Is the price worth it to keep the few remaining steel and aluminum plants from closing up, thereby making us dependent on the generosity of China, the European Union, India, Japan and Russia not only for our trucks and gyms, but our bridges and military equipment?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Is the price worth it to keep the few remaining steel and aluminum plants from closing up, thereby making us dependent on the generosity of China, the European Union, India, Japan and Russia not only for our trucks and gyms, but our bridges and military equipment?

According to a statement from DOD they use less than 3% of domestic US aluminum and steel production.

They think the tariffs will be counterproductive ... may actually affect other things where there will be actual ramifications.

Given the choice between accepting what passes for "analysis" and "strategery" from our "very stable genius" and anyone else, I will chose anyone else ... every single time ...

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
According to a statement from DOD they use less than 3% of domestic US aluminum and steel production.
Sooo, we are currently only 97% dependent on foreign imports of steel and aluminum. Awesome.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Here's the quote, from a Reuters article:

"... In the memo, which referenced a December interagency review of the commerce recommendations, he said that since direct defense needs account for only about 3 percent of U.S. production, the proposed curbs would not damage the Pentagon's ability to get steel and aluminum to meet national defense requirements."

That's Jimmy Mattis, SOD, talking there.

IOW: Direct defense needs (demand) only accounts for only 3% of US domestic production.

My characterization (from memory) was slightly inaccurate, in that I referred to usage rather than demand.

U.S. defense department says prefers targeted steel, aluminum tariffs

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Glad you are ok.
Notice that it wasn't exactly a full-throated confidenced answer. It hasn't been the most funnest last 10 days or so.

I delivered a week ago Monday in Ashtabula and went OOS because I was coming down with something, I dunno, low grade flu or whatever. Sucked down Nyquil like a toddler with an apple juice sippy cup. That ran its course pretty quickly and was gone in 3 or 4 days, but at the very end of that I slept funny. Hilariously funny.

Couldn't turn my head or bend my back. Hurt to sit up for very long. A good opioid would probably knock that out overnight, but I don't have anything like that. Ibuprofen was only marginally helpful. After 3 or 4 days I finally shook that and was fine.

Until the same hilarity occurred Sunday night. I noticed it mostly gone yesterday and today I'm fine.

In all my time out here I can only recall twisting my neck and back like that just 4 times. Now to do it twice in a week is weird. But hey, I really like Austinburg.

On another note, thanks for posting the story above. I do so love reading Stephanie Ruhle pieces about Trump being "furious" about something or another. That's her wheelhouse right there.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Glad you are ok.
Notice that it wasn't exactly a full-throated confidenced answer. It hasn't been the most funnest last 10 days or so.

I delivered a week ago Monday in Ashtabula and went OOS because I was coming down with something, I dunno, low grade flu or whatever. Sucked down Nyquil like a toddler with an apple juice sippy cup. That ran its course pretty quickly and was gone in 3 or 4 days, but at the very end of that I slept funny. Hilariously funny.

Couldn't turn my head or bend my back. Hurt to sit up for very long. A good opioid would probably knock that out overnight, but I don't have anything like that. Ibuprofen was only marginally helpful. After 3 or 4 days I finally shook that and was fine.

Until the same hilarity occurred Sunday night. I noticed it mostly gone yesterday and today I'm fine.

In all my time out here I can only recall twisting my neck and back like that just 4 times. Now to do it twice in a week is weird. But hey, I really like Austinburg.

On another note, thanks for posting the story above. I do so love reading Stephanie Ruhle pieces about Trump being "furious" about something or another. That's her wheelhouse right there.

Getting old. lol:D

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I read this story, and as I was reading it, it struck me how similar it is to half the stories I read about the Trump White House. The names are different, but the sources and quotes are the same. :rolleyes:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Palace intrigue ... it's particularly problematic when you have warring factions with competing interests ... and the place in question leaks like a sieve.

Media eats it up ... just like they do horse race elections.

Just remember though what Reince said about the apparency of chaos from the outside:

It's actually 50x worse than it appears to be.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Priebus was talking specifically about the days in the immediate aftermath of the Comey firing.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
"Reports of chaos and disorganization inside the White House through the first months of President Donald Trump’s administration are accurate, former chief of staff Reince Priebus said. In fact, Priebus said, those reports understated the truth of the Trump administration’s beginnings.

“Take everything you’ve heard and multiply it by 50,” Priebus told author Chris Whipple, whose book on White House chiefs of staff, “The Gatekeepers,” will be released in paperback next month with a new chapter on the Trump administration. Excerpts of the new chapter were published Wednesday by Vanity Fair. ..."

Priebus on White House chaos: 'Take everything you’ve heard and multiply it by 50'

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Priebus was talking specifically about the days in the immediate aftermath of the Comey firing.

I know of no context that supports that assertion.

The source of Priebus quote was Chris Whipple, who interviewed Priebus and who provides the exact context for the quote (below) in an article he wrote for Vanity Fair, which was adapted from Whipple's book: The Gatekeepers: How the White House Chiefs of Staff Define Every Presidency:

"... Even so, Priebus’s account of his tenure as Trump’s chief confirms the portrayal of a White House in disarray, riven by conflict. “Take everything you’ve heard and multiply it by 50,” Priebus said as we sat down. Being White House chief had been even more arduous than it looked from the outside. “No president has ever had to deal with so much so fast: a special counsel and an investigation into Russia and then subpoenas immediately, the media insanity—not to mention we were pushing out executive orders at record pace and trying to repeal and replace Obamacare right out of the gate.” Priebus was nervous, repeatedly asking, “This is all off the record, right?” (He later agreed to be quoted.) ..."

Full article:

“Who Needs a Controversy Over the Inauguration?”: Reince Priebus Opens Up About His Six Months of Magical Thinking