Are there any Expid. Solo drivers with Landstar here?

jbrodgers

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I would like to ask some specific questions to anyone who drives Expedite or LTL with Landstar... Especially solo drivers. Thanks

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Greg has been a solo at Landstar Express America for several years. He has been home for the weekend but I am sure he will chime in on this thread. What kind of questions are you trying to get answered?

Reactions: jbrodgers

jbrodgers

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi Greg,
I have been an OTR class A driver for a few years now, for a large carrier co....solo. But am thinking about O/O solo an Expedite truck.
I would like to know how well a solo expedite driver can do with Landstar?
I have spoken a little with the Landstar recruiter, but I only trust recruiters as far as I can throw them.

Specifically... What is an average take home $$ (after obvious overhead) for solo?
How difficult is it to find your loads?
What percentage of the Linehaul do you get?
Is Landstar a reputable company to work for?
Does Landstar have a fuel purchase (advance program)?
Do I need to have my own authority?
Does Landstar take care of permits/insurance, if leased to them?

Thank you in advance.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Specifically... What is an average take home $$ (after obvious overhead) for solo? Varies too much depending on the driver and what they will or will not do, or where they will or will not go, credentials and equipment.
How difficult is it to find your loads?Not difficult, but there is a learning curve to get to know the agents for the best loads.
What percentage of the Linehaul do you get?62%...but , that percentage is mostly irrelevant.
Is Landstar a reputable company to work for?Absolutely.
Does Landstar have a fuel purchase (advance program)?Yes. Discounts on fuel, tires, etc.
Do I need to have my own authority?No. You run under Landstar Authority.
Does Landstar take care of permits/insurance, if leased to them?Yes. Or you can if you prefer.