what are the average per mile rates for LandStar Express America?

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
so "no dock" means i need to have a pallet jack and I will be the one loading or unloading? I do have a liftgate but not sure how to ramp up onto the liftgate (its square and maybe 2 inches thick) with a pallet jack loaded. Wow alot to learn, wish i had a mentor going into this.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can buy pads elsewhere.
New Haven is where most Movers buy them.
They’ll sell you a better pad at a better price than most places.
They’re all over the country, google them.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also, if you use moving pads, you will need a way to secure the pad to the object being protected. Tape is common, but consider movers rubber bands. They are reusable and thus cost effective.

Reactions: BigStickJr

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
so "no dock" means i need to have a pallet jack and I will be the one loading or unloading? I do have a liftgate but not sure how to ramp up onto the liftgate (its square and maybe 2 inches thick) with a pallet jack loaded. Wow alot to learn, wish i had a mentor going into this.
On the liftgate subject, check to see the weight rating of it. Each lift gate have a weight limit. Do not over load it. Consider the weight of the freight, pallet jack and you for a total weight being lifted or lowered, not just the freight.

Reactions: BigStickJr

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
24209d3ccafe24bb492af5c8b017dee9.jpg

Not the best photo, but it shows moving pads ( folded on top shelf), load bars ( decking beams) , rubber bands ( hanging on front wall) and pallet jack ( secured) among other various equipment I carry.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Straps can make or break the load. The best investment I ever made was custom straps from Lodi Metals. I had them made color coded for length, 10ft blue, 15ft yellow and 24ft orange. I had 6, 6, and 4 of them. The ratchet was sewn 6 inches from the buckle. That is the key to best securement. The ratchet is basically on the wall so it doesn't touch the freight and no matter how small or oddly shaped the strap can be pulled up enough to securely hold the freight. I would never go out again without having those straps.

Reactions: davekc and HaulTow

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
how many straps (at 12 and 20') how many pads what about protecting corners? also the "load bars" or decking beams (is that another name for load bars?). My box has three rails with slots running up along the side of box at about 3 foot intervals. Finally and most importantly,....where do i buy all of these securement items at and where do you typically store them all? Also i found this video for a "how to".

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
man do you think LandStar will give me a itemized list of straps and load bars and pallet jack and dolly and bands ect... what a learning curve! Probably $500-$1000 in just securing tools still to budget for? Biggest thing i need to know is where to pick all that up as I have orientation this Wednesday.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Going to Rockford ?
Where are you traveling from ?

Fedex might have been a better first company for you.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just be very careful.

Reactions: TeamHutch

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Going to Rockford ?
Where are you traveling from ?

Fedex might have been a better first company for you.
my base of operation is Janesville WI, 30 minutes or so away.

Fedex? why i have 4 years of hauling trailers, cars, motorcycles, trucks, and anything else that would fit on my flatbed. I would hope i am asking the right questions... and securing loads is not something new to me.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
my base of operation is Janesville WI, 30 minutes or so away.

Fedex? why i have 4 years of hauling trailers, cars, motorcycles, trucks, and anything else that would fit on my flatbed. I would hope i am asking the right questions... and securing loads is not something new to me.
Proximity to orientation should not even be a factor. By the way, headquarters is in Jacksonville, FL.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Straps and load bars Lodi Metals. Highly recommend ordering custom made with ratchets 6 inches from buckle.
Pads New Haven Moving Supply (or something like that)
Pallet jack, I don't know any more.

Reactions: HaulTow

HaulTow

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
i start wednesday , not sure right now where i can drive to pick these items up. Is "Loadi Metals" local to LS Rockford? New Haven?