Sprinter van newbie - status?

Aviator1980s

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello everyone!!

I have been researching on sprinter van driving for a couple months and keep reading contradicting information. The owner operator guys that I know that do it say that they make about $1/mile, have plenty of work, pretty easy flow, etc.. I keep reading that it has gotten worse lately and it's like $0.70/ mile now? I don't know if the guys are inflating the info they give me to make it seem like they are doing good in life so I come to you. I have never done OTR and looking to get into it.

What is the status of Sprinter/van jobs? Is it pretty easy to get freight? How is the daily life of this job?

PS: I would be purchasing a newer Mercedes that can hold 3-4 pallets and be under 10k.

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not a cargo van driver never have been but from I have gathered it is hit or miss with good rates what is good for you might not be good for another I have heard of ppl getting well over a dollar a mile one day then the next under a dollar all in all with everything averaged together they might get a dollar a mile. Now to your next questions the status of one the market is saturated with van drivers an u are not gonna make good money driving for someone after they take there cut. The best thing you can do honestly is get your class b cdl an go to a straight truck drive for someone for a year or two get to know the business then if you are interested buy you a truck. If it was not for my dad needing help with his funeral home I would still be on the rd but probably now in a bigger straight than I had. But my wife an I have been talking about it an she is gonna get her cdls an go out on the rd with me when I go back out in the next year or so if the market hasn’t crashed any worse

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We just ran a load overnight, Nashville area to Dallas area. 700 ish miles, 3 drop locations, right at a buck a mile. Our contract rate is .80c per mile, plus 11c fuel. The 2 extra stops helped that run, pay wise. Now we sit with half a dozen vans/sprinters at a truck stop. Two would you could yous, but no solid loads yet.
Not easy but, we are enjoying our selves. If you get a Mercedes, make sure your alright with, and can get a performance tune for the engine(Google is your friend).

Reactions: ntimevan

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, wife and I team. I posted our rate above, it takes some kind of accessory pay, to get the paid miles to a buck. Hand load or unload, muiltiple stops, detention, some real short loads, pay better. But we look at total miles, including where to go after the drop to figure if a load is doable.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll reiterate ....

The van segment of the market is completely over saturated .. for two main reasons:
1. Entry is relatively easy. No special license is required.
2. You simply need to be comfortable with getting into debt. Finance a van & off you go.

How you pay off the debt & actually earn a living is not as easy as it appears. For all the time & energy there are more profitable endeavors. It's my opinion one cannot make any $ in this business with a van payment.

Do yourself a good solid favor. Get a cdl & drive straights ..

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't touch a sprinter unless you got a big reserve of money in the bank get a transit or promaster.....
I don't want to hijack the thread .. but I believe you may be referring to the first generation ncv3 sprinters '07-'09.

Ask some current expediters, that have over 500k mi on the newer ones, what they think.

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app
With 631k on my 2012 sprinter no problems here.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's as hit and miss as expediting. A close friend uses a 2013 sprinter in expedite, he had $30,000 worth of repair expenses in a year at 200,000 miles (those dealers :p) I say pre 2007 sprinter :D

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadTime

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Met a guy from Dayton recently who get's $1.81 per mile. True story. :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:

So, how’s Murray doing ?
3f784c3d495c2ca32e6a42e51c7a321e.jpg

All aboard the Freight Train

Reactions: Ragman and RoadTime