Declined by Panther. Who can help us.

Gear_Grinder

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Looking for any in sight in this career field. My fiancé and I been researching expediting since August or September. We’ve decided to take the leap and sold everything. We have no home, no kids and really no debt. She worked at her previous job for 12 years and when we decided to make this leap and this was our dream job we wanted to Persue as a couple I told her to quit so we could go to a school to get our cdl’s. Well she quit in December and we started school. Meanwhile I wanted to take a head start and post a classified add to get a owner lined up so we would have a truck ready for when we achieved our cdl’s. So now it’s the middle of January and we have our cdl’s and applied at panther and come to find out I was denied. WHY??? Well that’s the answer I’m looking for but they would not provide. Their saying was “safety denied you and they have the final say”. So not being elaborate and when asked what the reason was they did not know and could not tell me. So I assume several things could have them make that decision. I can tell you that 14+ years ago when I was young and dumb I’ve made some bad decisions and did get some misdemeanor charges one being a dui. I’ve grown up since I was 18 and never had any charges since 2004. From their site I see they hire felons and even charges with misdemeanors (*which is why I felt safe enough to persue this career*) Also my driving record was not so good when I was young neither but I do believe the last violation I had driving was 2011 for speeding. Other than that I feel clean (*which they also claimed they hired license that were revoked etc...*) but I should be within their clean MVR which is 3 years it said. I don’t know if theres anything I can do or if anybody knows any companies that’s not so hard to get into it. I figured if Panther denied us all the bigger ones like FedEx, Tristate, bolt, load one etc will deny us. I wish they would have provided more information so I knew what I was working with and that’s all I can provide. Thanks for everyone’s time reading into this and responding if you respond. I hope to be on the road soon so I appreciate everyone’s feedback.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
My friendly advice , go find a real job . Same your wife . You are to young to waste your life on the road and in dirty truckstops. Dont get me wrong, but I would give same advice to my brother to...

Gear_Grinder

Rookie Expediter
Researching
I understand your opinion. I know a lot of people do it and either hate or love it. This is what we want to do. We been around the buisness long enough and heard plenty of stories and hasn’t scared us away. We want to be together, travel and get paid no matter how much we get paid. We set ourselves up good and we could make crap money and be happy. As long as we got a truck to sleep in and we continue to stay debt free. Thanks for your opinion though.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Sorry to hear. But keep on trying. Apply to the other companies and see what they say. You might have to get on with a smaller company and build your experience that way.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gear_Grinder

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
I understand your opinion. I know a lot of people do it and either hate or love it. This is what we want to do. We been around the buisness long enough and heard plenty of stories and hasn’t scared us away. We want to be together, travel and get paid no matter how much we get paid. We set ourselves up good and we could make crap money and be happy. As long as we got a truck to sleep in and we continue to stay debt free. Thanks for your opinion though.

Was not about money . It is about the lifestyle . Anyway . Find an owner who has his own authority ,in that way nobody has to approve you . And the money is same.

Gear_Grinder

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Yeah that’s what we’re going to have to do. We will see and hopefully all works out. Was hoping someone ran into the same situation or knew a company that works with people or don’t do to much extensive searches. I know it’s protocol and they have to do it so was just checking on feed back and opinions and appreciate everyone who’s responded wether negative or good.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Two problems with “less extensive searches.”
Often, the less selective a company is ties in to how desirable of an opportunity they offer.

Or , if you slip something by them, it often surfaces later, which could leave you in a worse position than you are now.

Reactions: TeamPaul

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the owner seemed cool with what Panther found, would he consider putting you in a truck at another carrier ?
He could shop you and the truck around as a package, being honest.
Then there’s no let down later.

redskunk

Expert Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Army
If you haven’t done so already i would recommend you purchase a copy of both of your Motor Vehicle Reports, and copies of both your background checks. Then you can see if they contain any mistakes. If you find any bogus info you can try and get it corrected before you apply to other carriers.
This should also give you a better idea of what the carrier(s) are looking at when they are reviewing your applications.
A google search should point toward a company that can pull these reports for you. Just remember they aren’t free.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Gear_Grinder

Rookie Expediter
Researching
If the owner seemed cool with what Panther found, would he consider putting you in a truck at another carrier ?
He could shop you and the truck around as a package, being honest.
Then there’s no let down later.
That is what we are working on right now. He feels everything is ok to him and is looking to sign us on with a different carrier so we applied and just waiting to see what happens. Hopefully it all works out. If not a couple replied to us to provide help and stuff. That’s what’s good with all of you, always willing to lend a hand out for the most part. Still some people that have the negative attitude but I accept all opinions.
Panther had provided us with the background report but also filed and awaiting one from the Pennsylvania State Police that I paid for and paid for my driving record from penndot. So working on that the criminal one from the PSP could take up to a month. Definitely taking the steps though to get this all squared up.

Gear_Grinder

Rookie Expediter
Researching
All good advice. I would obtain your own background information and see what it shows. Be honest with companies as they will check. But. all will have different standards that they will look at.
You’re absolutely right, we have been 100% honest and provided the information to them. I know lying in an app will get us no where although I wouldn’t do that anyways but I know some people try to skim past hoping they don’t find out.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
All good advice. I would obtain your own background information and see what it shows. Be honest with companies as they will check. But. all will have different standards that they will look at.
You’re absolutely right, we have been 100% honest and provided the information to them. I know lying in an app will get us no where although I wouldn’t do that anyways but I know some people try to skim past hoping they don’t find out.
That is true. It is imperative to know what both records indicate and what is obtainable with a google search. They ask for 10 years but cant ask for items beyond 7. That changed a couple of years ago I believe although they will not tell you that. Lack of verifiable experience will kill you at some of the smaller carriers. Comes down to insurance essentially on that front.

Gear_Grinder

Rookie Expediter
Researching
That makes a lot of sense because like panther said they only go back I think it was 3 years for moving violations and 5 years for accidents etc. we did find out why we were declined. They told the owner and he advised us which he saw nothing wrong is willing to try to help us out. But what you said is what happened. They say they go back so many years but they did use years beyond against me in my driving record. Saying I was risk which like you say I guess they would think would come down to Insurance. So I guess we will see.

Gear_Grinder

Rookie Expediter
Researching
So quick update. After being denied by Panther our owner held on to us and had us apply Fed Ex and we were approved this past Thursday. We were notified today that we will be attending orientation on Wednesday. So we will be leaving tomorrow to drive up to FedEx headquarters and starting orientation. Everything happened so quick since the approval. Now with our truck it was brand new set up for a Panther team we will only drive this truck for up to a few months then he will be switching us to another truck for FedEx set ups for white glove and tval and will be sending us back to training for tval and white glove. So everything is looking up and hopefully on the open road early next week. He’s allowing us to drive home to pick up our animals and load the truck up for the weekend so that’s awesome.
I just thought being denied by a bigger company I would have problems with several others so it’s good to know there’s other companies that are bigger willing to provide us a chance. Thanks for everyone’s reply and opinions.