Carbon Monoxide Detector

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
We recently had an expediter die of carbon monoxide poisoning in his van at a truck stop. These kinds of stories bother me a lot. Mentions of carbon monoxide detectors come up in discussions here every now and then, so I'm gonna bring it up again.

CO Alarm1.jpg CO Alarm3.jpg

I'm not necessarily stumping for this particular CO alarm. Just get one. Some use 2 or 3 AA or AAA batteries, or a 9-volt battery. Replace them every year. This particular one uses a Lithium Ion battery that's good for 10 years, which is also how long the CO detector sensor is good for. Just replace the entire unit after 10 years. As you can see, it's small, about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It can be mounted on a wall, sat on a table, or in a van or truck just placed somewhere where it'll get good airflow. On the floor in front of or under the passenger seat works. I have mine in the footwell of the driver door. It's gone off more than once because of an idling car parked beside me. Don't place it near the output of an Espar or some other heater, as they can spit out carbon monoxide at startup. Not enough to harm you, but enough that it could set off the alarm. Carbon monoxide is from unburned fossil fuels, and that's what we're steeped in daily. This particular alarm has an LED display that shows you the CO parts per million (PPM). If the PPM is zero, the display will remain dark.

Here's a 1:16 video of it at YouTube:

Looks like there are half a dozen or more videos there on YouTube from QVC about the same product, but I haven't watched any of those.

The main reason I bring this up, and for this unit in particular, is that it's available for a measly 9,000 Gold Rewards Points.

It's available at Amazon for $34.99 with free shipping, and at the manufacturer's website on sale for $24.95 plus shipping. But for 9,000 Gold Rewards Points, c'mon! Go to the DriveforGold site, Rewards, and in the search box type in "HN80111" or "monoxide" or "universal security". It's under home (housewares) | Home Improvement | Other.

Don't die of carbon monoxide poisoning. It'll make me cry. Just get one.

On a side note, didja ever notice on the points for the items on the DriveForGold site, if you take the numbers to the left of the comma, like 9,000 or 35,000 or 110,000, if you take those numbers and multiply them by 4 (9,000 is 9x4=36, 35,000 is 35x4=140, etc) that the result is just about the retail list price of the item? Just thought you'd like to know that. It's handly for comparisons.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
For sure the lithium ion batteries. Trucks sitting in the bitter cold when not in use will really kill those regular batteries.

That article really bothered me as well. We are actually waiting for a quote back on buying the units in bulk as I want to put them in the company trucks. I should know more by Mon or Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting. I never looked into or knew about the 10 year CO detectors. I switched my home fire detectors over to the 10 year ones already. Too many times when I go home I have to play find the chirp, then hope I have a battery on hand

Will definitely be looking to swap these out.

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don’t show it on my rewards site. Might be different for Canadian drivers so I emailed to find out.

*Nope not available for me :(

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don’t show it on my rewards site. Might be different for Canadian drivers so I emailed to find out.

*Nope not available for me :(
Man, they're worse than Trump.

Maybe John can get some extras in and have them for sale in Safety. Those with the sealed lithium battery are the ones to get. But more importantly, get one.