Nervous newbie

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Josh,
Thank you for that post on weather. We are out of training now and waiting on that first great load. The weather here in Canton, Ohio is awful. Ice covered in snow. Our drive to this truck stop was uneventful but I took it slow because I am empty. I have no shame to stay in that right lane and take it easy.

Looks like our Ohio load being cancelled was a blessing in disguise. How was the training?

We had got another load that was picking up in Kansas City mo going to Chicago Il. We drove the 200 mile deadhead to get there and the address was completely wrong. Led us to an apartment building. We called to get the correct one and when FedEx contacted the customer they said they didn't want it anymore. So that was a waste of time (yes we were paid for the deadhead. So we took a load 100 miles away going to North Carolina. Doesn't pick up until Sunday but it should finish off this pay period nicely.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
side note: anyone else getting irritated with the weather people naming all these snow events? it seems that even if a location will only get an inch of snow, it's all of a sudden a winter storm with a name. Creates extra panic in my opinion.

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
I literally just said the same thing Josh! The media hypes up the named "storm" and makes people panic. I live in Southern MI, we were supposed to get 12" of snow last Friday... We barely got 3. It was crazy..

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
I literally just said the same thing Josh! The media hypes up the named "storm" and makes people panic. I live in Southern MI, we were supposed to get 12" of snow last Friday... We barely got 3. It was crazy..

lol I didn't realize it until a few days ago when the wife said something. Now every time I look at the weather it's something else that seems to be hyped up and causes un needed panic. A few inches of snow is not cause for giant weather advisory. I mean, it is winter after all.

Reactions: Ragman and AnneM

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Exactly! Especially in the Midwest! It snows EVERY year!! LOL!!
If they didn't hype it up, they couldn't say " you heard it here first folks, exclusively on the what not channel.." After a major weather event, that actually happened...
It's all about ratings and how much they can charge the advertising people.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Part of the reason I haven't had cable in 15ish years. Anytime I watch tv elsewhere I can't believe how many commercials are involved with whatever your watching. 90 minutes to watch a 20 minute show! Who has that kind of time?

Also: high of 48 in South Carolina today! In no hurry to leave

Reactions: AnneM

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
It would seem I spoke to soon. At pickup now and will be heading to illinois. Hopefully we can get past the mountains before the snow arrives.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
side note: anyone else getting irritated with the weather people naming all these snow events? it seems that even if a location will only get an inch of snow, it's all of a sudden a winter storm with a name. Creates extra panic in my opinion.
Danger Will Robinson...... it might snow!

dcf64-lis_robot.jpg

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
99% chance, but don't Panic, it's only winter...
Better check with the talking heads on the weather channel, they enjoy getting us all in a tizzy for nothing...
Put a skirt and some high heels on a meteorological news person and there you have it. Don't forget to check under the hood, I'll bet there are some fakers out there...LOL
Is that what they call fake news?
Let's be careful out there..

DBenton

Rookie Expediter
Driver
We are in Illinois right now. There was about 15 miles in Indiana that was icy. We are headed out tonight to head right back here tomorrow night. Fun Fun!

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
We are in Illinois right now. There was about 15 miles in Indiana that was icy. We are headed out tonight to head right back here tomorrow night. Fun Fun!

Sounds like you guys are off to a great start!

Currently in Kentucky right now. Stopped for my break. If this is what they call a "winter weather advisory" they're all :censoredsign:ed if they head north in the winter. Streets have been completely clear the whole time. *maybe* got an inch of snow.

Gear_Grinder

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Well it’s good seeing all of you out there making money and being safe while doing it. DBenton congrats on getting through orientation and starting your new career. Update on us...things went down hill so quickly and it’s a shame honestly. So after following this thread and researching for months until we bit the bullet and sold everything, quit jobs attended school to get our cdl’s which we got last week. Had an owner set up waiting on us and just got declined by panther today. So that’s really put a damper on my day and it’s actually drug me down as this is what we want to do. If they declined me, my fiancé is still in the application process but I assume most of the bigger companies will deny us. The worse part is they will not tell me why so I can verify the truth or fix it if possible or just to know for my well being to have closure. I will admit I had some problems in my past when I was around 18 and had a dui in 2004 but we’re talking 14 or more years no felonies. To judge me for my past and not look at my future the mature man I’ve grown up to be. Or if it’s my driving record which again back then young and dumb. I will admit I did get hit for speeding in 2010 and 2011 but they claim they go back 3 years. I just don’t know right now and was really shocked. Everything lined up perfectly like it was meant to be then got our hearts stomped on. But we are going to keep pushing and hope. This is a bright future for us and this is what we want to do and hopefully all works out in the end. Hopefully I will not be judged for mistakes I’ve made as a late teen early adult. That is not me anymore. You guys stay safe out there and hopefully we will cross paths someday on the road.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Well it’s good seeing all of you out there making money and being safe while doing it. DBenton congrats on getting through orientation and starting your new career. Update on us...things went down hill so quickly and it’s a shame honestly. So after following this thread and researching for months until we bit the bullet and sold everything, quit jobs attended school to get our cdl’s which we got last week. Had an owner set up waiting on us and just got declined by panther today. So that’s really put a damper on my day and it’s actually drug me down as this is what we want to do. If they declined me, my fiancé is still in the application process but I assume most of the bigger companies will deny us. The worse part is they will not tell me why so I can verify the truth or fix it if possible or just to know for my well being to have closure. I will admit I had some problems in my past when I was around 18 and had a dui in 2004 but we’re talking 14 or more years no felonies. To judge me for my past and not look at my future the mature man I’ve grown up to be. Or if it’s my driving record which again back then young and dumb. I will admit I did get hit for speeding in 2010 and 2011 but they claim they go back 3 years. I just don’t know right now and was really shocked. Everything lined up perfectly like it was meant to be then got our hearts stomped on. But we are going to keep pushing and hope. This is a bright future for us and this is what we want to do and hopefully all works out in the end. Hopefully I will not be judged for mistakes I’ve made as a late teen early adult. That is not me anymore. You guys stay safe out there and hopefully we will cross paths someday on the road.
Hi guys.
Sorry to hear that you were turned down by Panther.
Frankly, they can be kind of picky and anal, but in a weird and random way sometimes.
I started with them and some of the people I saw and talked to at orientation really made me wonder what the recruiting process was looking for...

In my opinion, Panther is being much more careful and choosy because they took on some shady people and had lots of issues that cost them money.
Knee jerk reactions being what they are, you are paying the price for their bad choices when they were a bit desperate for drivers.

Obviously, you will keep trying and good luck, we need good sensible people out there.

No worries, keep trying, there are lots of other companies out there.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
I also agree, keep trying. I had a TERRIBLE driving record as a teen (up to 7th offense operating after revocation, facing prison time) and I didn't get my licence until I was 21. If you didn't get on with panther, than it wasn't meant to be. Panther doesn't have awesome reviews from what I remember anyway. Glass half full. Keep a positive attitude and it will reflect on future phone calls to potential carriers. Good luck and keep us posted

Reactions: Gear_Grinder

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
IMG_1684.jpg Officially encountered the most difficult dock thus far. And I had to do it twice since one of the pallets needed to be unloaded 7 doors down from where the first 3 skids were unloaded. There were also construction fences all around the parking lot with 4 other trucks waiting. Also had to wait 2hrs to get unloaded.

Since we're so close to home we're prolly gonna take a few days off.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Per DOT regs, any trucking company does not have to disclose why you were disqualified.
Also I wouldn’t have quit jobs, sold everything off including house before I was accepted by a trucking company. Hopefully your gal got her job back.

Reactions: ucfd608