The cost of staying warm

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm saving for an APU
for a straight truck, there's no other way that makes sense.
Van guys, Espar makes sense if you have a low need for 110 power. I don't like waking up in the middle of the night shivering, or baking in the oven with the bugs
I am tired of starting up every time I want a cup of tea or a bowl of soup.
Comfort is worth something after all.
Worth it and willing to pay for it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

R u in a van or straight truck

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
I believe he is in a straight truck.

Reactions: ntimevan

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Hmm.
Read my post and ask a question with the answer in it...
Still happy to answer
Yep, a 22 straight with an invertor, just not enough to meet my needs.
Old 2007 truck, not worth putting more money into, but it's all I've got to work with at the moment.
Best thing about it is that it's paid for.
I just bought a HEAP air cleaner so I don't have to breathe the soot from idling 24/7 to stay warm.
And, before you ask, I have a new exhaust running back to the rear axle, just a leaky old sleeper that let's in more than it should.
I think I ( and My cat ) deserve to breathe decent air as long as we have to be couped up in this box...
The APU will be installed soon... right after a new clutch that will cost 3 grand.
Anyone know of a better deal than that place South of Kansas City called Dales APU Center?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle used to have the old style rheostat controller, but replaced it with the fancy schmancy Digi-Max D1000.
How did Turtle hookup his new fancy schmancy Digi-Max D1000? What did Turtle do with the grey wire? Moot would like the details. :D[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got a question for those of you that use or used the Buddy Heater with a 15-20lbs propane tank. Where do you keep the tank? Aren't you afraid that in the event of a leak you might blow up? Or are you using a propane detector of some kind?
I never ran mine while sleeping and always turned the valve off before turning in. My first heat source was the 1 pound propane Buddy. Occasionally when using the Walmart brand1 pound propane cylinders, the cylinder would leak after unscrewing from the Buddy heater. Never encountered that problem when using Coleman brand cylinders.

I have a single propane burner stove that runs off a 1 pound propane cylinder so I carry my old Little Buddy heater for a back-up.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle used to have the old style rheostat controller, but replaced it with the fancy schmancy Digi-Max D1000.
How did Turtle hookup his new fancy schmancy Digi-Max D1000? What did Turtle do with the grey wire? Moot would like the details. :D
I was asked if I wanted to use the controller or the intake as the thermostat, and after answering "the controller," I mostly stood there talking to Brian while the other guy swapped out the old controller for the new one. It was real easy.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had an Onan Quiet 2800 generator in the spare tire well of my van. It powered a Coleman low profile rooftop A/C in hot weather and a 1500W heater plugged into a 110 outlet in cold weather. It also kept my batteries charged as needed. It tapped into the main tank at about the 1/4 tank level so it could never run the van out of fuel. I usually refilled after every run anyway but it was a safety feature. The only downside was no oil filter so oil changes every 200 hours. It only held a quart though.

I also had two smoke/CO detectors in the van, one in front and one in back. I had my van set up at Sportsmobile in Austin. They did the rooftop A/C, generator, insulation, cover paneling, ceiling fluorescent light, hotel battery with all the splitters and redirectors etc., Fantastic Fan and a really nice window opposite the side doors with a jalousie bottom so I could open it and the FF even in a hurricane and have good ventilation flowing through. I planned to add a gasoline Espar but never got around to it. If I were going back out again I'd definitely add that also.

subzero89

Seasoned Expediter
If you are in a van or sprinter, go to walmart and buy a lasko electric heater for $30, an outdoor extension cord (at least 50-100 ft) and hook up to any outside outlet, usually at a larger gas station (thortons, mapco, etc. I never have any problems with employees there as long as the extension cord is put away from people walking so nobody trips over it.

Reactions: schwanman

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You run yours a lot warmer and longer then mine

If needed during the day, I run it at 62-65F, at night I'll normally bump it up to 68F or leave at 65F depending on temps. Only once so far have I turned it up to 70F this winter, and still ended up turning it back down to 68F mid sleep. I guess that's my sweet spot.

I like the digital thermostat, although I was questioning its accuracy.
After using a separate digital thermometer to compare, mine is pretty much spot on

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app
I must have jinxed myself with this post. Only 22F/WC 16F. Have spent many a colder days then this and been fine, but I've been just cold all day. Started at usually 65 setting, then 68, 70, 72. Finally set to 74, but that got too warm for me so took it back down to 72...for now.

Might have something to do with my van currently being encased in ice

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I must have jinxed myself with this post. Only 22F/WC 16F. Have spent many a colder days then this and been fine, but I've been just cold all day. Started at usually 65 setting, then 68, 70, 72. Finally set to 74, but that got too warm for me so took it back down to 72...for now.

Might have something to do with my van currently being encased in ice

36036443635ac15f13ff3fe52504d2ad.jpg

Maybe you should get out of the Van ...

another day .. another bowl of Popcorn

Reactions: RoadTime

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
A couple of quarts of hand sanitizer will fix that, only problem is that you have to apply it from the outside!
Or on the door seals before you close the door, up to you...
Works on frozen wipers too.
After you get a jump start and get her going again...

Reactions: RoadTime