Get your wallet out

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another new year, another toll increase on the PA Turnpike. These increases happen every year, and are scheduled to last until the 2040s.

For years, the car toll between Valley Forge (326) and Pittsburgh (57) was $5 for cash (no EZPass existed). As of today, the cash toll is $37.00 ! Toll-by-plate is the same. If you need a break, EZPass is $26.29. As for me, avoiding the pike is cheaper, even if it involves more miles.

By the end of the scheduled increases in the 40s, the toll I discussed above will be $67.00

Between tolls, the 75c /gallon fuel tax and the cost to register a truck going up all the time, my home state is starting to look like an extravagance ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well in my experience , there is no reason to go to the east coast , there is plenty of business without it... if the customer or broker won’t pay a surcharge to help cover tolls, leave your wallet in your pocket and simply say no OR work for a carrier like Roadrunner or Load1 that pays your tolls...

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Nah! Tolls are a part of doing business just like fuel. Do you suggest telling dispatch that you wouldn't take any loads to or through a state where fuel is .20 higher than a Midwest State?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nah! Tolls are a part of doing business just like fuel. Do you suggest telling dispatch that you wouldn't take any loads to or through a state where fuel is .20 higher than a Midwest State?

You can drive through those states (minus Texas, California, and a couple of other large western states) without having to get fuel.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

You can drive through those states (minus Texas, California, and a couple of other large western states) without having to get fuel.
Laughable I fueled with a fellow driver in Effingham once and we were going the same place in Detroit
He was a 70+ driver and me being a pokey type well anyhow I beat him there as he had to fuel up 2 more times ... he had a transit ;)
Turtle and hare story

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I've always told all the companies I work with that I'll do any load if the price is right.

As the owner/operator, I price each load accordingly. Without that liberty, you're simply doing some loads for less than others.

Edit: unless you work for a company as stated by OVM ..

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: VSprinter

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Believe me everyone that ships & receives in or along the glide path of a troll road know it's there & know they must pay.

Now weather or not you get it depends on who you work for.

Reactions: VSprinter

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess Clarksburg is the new northeast limit of travel. Have to get to Minard's. Anything beyond that is optional and with tolls like that the option is no.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No such thing as BFE anymore!
Says who?

11727d1328242968-et-member-lives-here-bumfuck.jpg

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well in my experience , there is no reason to go to the east coast , there is plenty of business without it... if the customer or broker won’t pay a surcharge to help cover tolls, leave your wallet in your pocket and simply say no OR work for a carrier like Roadrunner or Load1 that pays your tolls...
Just brought a load to PA.
You bet your behind, I got better rate than going to TX to cover those tolls.
Another story is, did I go through any of them?

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well...lucky for me I was at night, going 60+, with only 2-3 stops.

"Amazing Grace, half-decent rates..."