Nervous newbie

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Josh, check weather channel it has real time weather information I particularly use weather.com and just pull national 10 day map to see what to expect. Best of luck. I like your energy and spirit best of luck out there

Sent from my SM-N900T using EO Forums mobile app

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Josh, check weather channel it has real time weather information I particularly use weather.com and just pull national 10 day map to see what to expect. Best of luck. I like your energy and spirit best of luck out there

Thank you and happy birthday!!

Heading to Laredo Texas. Prolly be stuck there for awhile but the load pays good and at least it will be warm.

DBenton

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Josh, they did a PM on reefer and did a NIS Test. We needed thius done before orientation. We started heading to Ohio yesterday and got a fault for the Def Valve. Turned around went to Stoops Freightliner and they could not get us in until Tuesday. Did a manual regen and headed to Lodi, Ohio to the TA. As we sat and idled the check engine light went away and all they could do was a diagnostic and clear codes. Truck doing better now.

At Thermo King they let us stay in the truck sleeper so we were comfortable.

Fixing to shower and do a load of laundry so we can head to Fed Ex facility and get ready for orientation tomorrow. Update tomorrow!

Reactions: yogaines

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Josh, they did a PM on reefer and did a NIS Test. We needed thius done before orientation. We started heading to Ohio yesterday and got a fault for the Def Valve. Turned around went to Stoops Freightliner and they could not get us in until Tuesday. Did a manual regen and headed to Lodi, Ohio to the TA. As we sat and idled the check engine light went away and all they could do was a diagnostic and clear codes. Truck doing better now.

At Thermo King they let us stay in the truck sleeper so we were comfortable.

Fixing to shower and do a load of laundry so we can head to Fed Ex facility and get ready for orientation tomorrow. Update tomorrow!

And the fun begins!

Had kind of a irritating day yesterday when we picked up, but that was our own fault. We got ourselves into a bad situation. We ended up in a place that a truck was not meant to be in. Once I realized something wasn't right and we shouldn't have been there, there wasn't anywhere to turn around. Figured I'd press on and find a sutable place to turn around rather than backing up down the street. Bad idea, should have held up traffic and backed up. Ended up turning around in what appeared to be someone's driveway. It was just BARELY big enough for me to back into and get turned around.

Lesson: check your end address. Just because gps says "firestone corp." doesn't actually mean that's where it's taking you. We got rushed when leaving the truck stop and got sloppy.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
And the fun begins!

Had kind of a irritating day yesterday when we picked up, but that was our own fault. We got ourselves into a bad situation. We ended up in a place that a truck was not meant to be in. Once I realized something wasn't right and we shouldn't have been there, there wasn't anywhere to turn around. Figured I'd press on and find a sutable place to turn around rather than backing up down the street. Bad idea, should have held up traffic and backed up. Ended up turning around in what appeared to be someone's driveway. It was just BARELY big enough for me to back into and get turned around.

Lesson: check your end address. Just because gps says "firestone corp." doesn't actually mean that's where it's taking you. We got rushed when leaving the truck stop and got sloppy.
Here's what I do.
When I get close, I Google map the address, bring up the satellite image and have a look around.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
That's normally what we do for every stop, it was just done at the last min this time and the wife ....misunderstood the map. Lol

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And the fun begins!

Here's what I do.
When I get close, I Google map the address, bring up the satellite image and have a look around.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

I’d google map any strange location ASAP.
If I need to call, I’d prefer the day before rather than when I got close.

DBenton

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Josh this has happened to us before and we were in a truck with 53 foot trailer. We had to back out onto a highway and hope like hell no one ran up on us. Stuff like this happens. Sounds like you got out of the bind and got a plan for the future. How is the weather where you are going?

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
IMG_1654.JPG
Josh this has happened to us before and we were in a truck with 53 foot trailer. We had to back out onto a highway and hope like hell no one ran up on us. Stuff like this happens. Sounds like you got out of the bind and got a plan for the future. How is the weather where you are going?

Weather is absolutely awesome. Currently 68 and the sun just went down. The loves that we stopped at for the night has a big patch of grass where we parked and we were able to let the dog run out all his energy. It's amazing how much weather effects your mood.

Reactions: DBenton and ucfd608

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Grabbed a load out of Texas to Illinois. Just delivered that. Accepted our first load with multiple stops. Heading to pick up now. We'll end in Omaha Nebraska which I beleive is due for some snow tonight. Fun fun.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Grabbed a load out of Texas to Illinois. Just delivered that. Accepted our first load with multiple stops. Heading to pick up now. We'll end in Omaha Nebraska which I beleive is due for some snow tonight. Fun fun.
22fwi8.jpg

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

I don't feel good about that Nebraska load. . It's just me!

I am on way to west Virginia from good old Texas !

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver

I don't feel good about that Nebraska load. . It's just me!

I am on way to west Virginia from good old Texas !

I can't say that I feel too good about it either. We stopped about 40 miles away from our first drop off last night. Alarm is set for 6am, wife is still sleeping. I'm afraid to look outside since I can feel the sleeper moving around from the wind. Our first two stops are in Omaha and the last one is in Lincoln. After that we have a load that picks up in Kansas City KS and will go to Ohio.

How's the weather in West Virginia? I don't like going through mountains when there is a possibility of snow. We said we were gonna stay away from that area this winter but we ended up passing through several times. Thankfully the weather wasn't bad when we did.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
All three drop offs are done. Once we hit the interstate this morning we were at a stand still for the next 2hrs. I think they were "treating" the road, from what I could look up anyway. The shipper canceled our load to Ohio.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Just a few winter driving tips to share,

This is just what I have found to work well for me so far. This morning we woke up to no snow, but there were ice warnings in effect for the area. Upon leaving my spot in the parking lot, on the way out, I make sure there is no one around and I hit the brakes pretty hard. This gives me an idea of how slippery the roads could be. I figured I'd jump on the interstate and end up cruising around 45-50mph. I went about 3 miles before coming up on a police officer on the side of the road with his lights on, he did not have anyone pulled over. I slowed way down when I got close to him along with obviously changing lanes away from him. Part of the reason I slow way down is because of the slippery conditions. If I needed to stop suddenly for any reason while passing the officer I would be able to do so. The semi behind me however did not appear to be ok with my slowing down to 35mph (i was only doing 45 along with everyone else) and he went flying by me once I got back into the right lane. I am very glad I did slow down because right over the hill there was traffic at a complete stop. It would appear the officer was trying to warn everyone.

I immediately turned on the 4 ways to alert other drivers behind me if they could not have already seen the backed up traffic. After a few hours just sitting there we started to move again. I slowed my speed to 35mph once we did get moving. It was me and about 10 other drivers in the right lane who were all going slow and being cautious. After seeing how many other trucks were flying by me I can see how all these accident occur. We eventually passed a semi that had gone into the ditch. I assume that was part of the original back up.

Once we got closer to omaha the snow was in full effect and covered the streets completely. Not a huge deal, just take it slow and be patient. Our truck was loaded with 4,000lbs of paper. After our first stop all but 200lbs was unloaded. Things were different after that. The weight in the back really helped in the snow. Once our truck was close to empty it became very easy to fishtail. It is pretty controllable (as much as a 25,000lb truck can be) as long as you are careful. If you see a hill coming up, try to build some momentum before you get to it. If you are coming up to a downhill section of the road, try to slow before hand. If you need to slow down while going down the hill use the brakes very lightly. You shouldn't need too much pressure since you shouldn't be going that fast to begin with and you should be leaving plenty of distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. Also, be very gentle with the accelerator. Most people won't realize how much torque is being applied to the wheels with what seems to be very little accelerator input.

As long as you don't rush and get impatient you should be fine. Don't let others flying by you discourage you. Just stay in the right lane and if needed, keep your 4 ways on. If you feel that you're starting to become a hazard and impeding traffic flow. Pull over until you feel it is safe to continue. I cant speak for other carriers but as for fedex, they don't care if it takes you longer due to road conditions. Just keep them posted. I told them I wouldn't be at delivery until 9:30 (original time was 9:00) and they said no problem and extended it until noon. Even though I was only running a half hour late.

If anyone else has some good tips post them up. No such thing as too much information. Also, my engine brake was off at all times, as I feel it should have been. DRIVE SAFE!!

Reactions: yogaines and Ragman

DBenton

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Josh,
Thank you for that post on weather. We are out of training now and waiting on that first great load. The weather here in Canton, Ohio is awful. Ice covered in snow. Our drive to this truck stop was uneventful but I took it slow because I am empty. I have no shame to stay in that right lane and take it easy.

Reactions: RoadTime