The Fake News Depot

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I've seen it a lot. Stories that have nothing to do with Trump will tell the story in the first four paragraphs, then the next eleven paragraphs will tie it to Trump and one of his Tweets 4 months ago.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Newsweek offers up scientific proof that Trump has tiny hands. This is even better than CNN's investigative reporting on Russian dressing.

Reactions: Moot

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Newsweek offers up scientific proof that Trump has tiny hands. This is even better than CNN's investigative reporting on Russian dressing.

Where is Al Franken? lol :D
1zklng.jpg

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
ABC just suspended Brian Ross for 4 weeks without pay. Brian's FAKE NEWS caused the Dow to drop 350 within minutes of his "scoop." Ya think ABC got a few phone calls from high powered investors when the "clarification" was issued?

There are things going on (Veritas attempted sting of WaPo is just one of the more notable examples) that are forcing journalists (a term I use loosely these days) to double and triple verify sourced information. If they don't do that, and stick to one unverified source, they do so at their own peril.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The View Tweeted out that bit several times throughout the day, including Friday night after the correction. It wasn't until Saturday morning that The View Tweeted out their own correction, an then finally took down the other tweets (after posting the original to YouTube, of course). Joy will show up for work on Monday thoroughly disappointed that Trump wasn't impeached over the weekend.

Her reaction is pretty typical of how partisans (left and right) disseminate information. She has only the smallest, most basic idea of what happened, and she treats it as a game changer anyway. This is how FAKE NEWS spreads.

Her reaction on Monday will be interesting. I predict it will be a combination of disgust, defiance and determination (that the truth will come out and Trump will be impeached). In her defense, she was merely reading off a blue card handed to her from ABC News, and she had no reason to doubt it. And she's not a journalist, so she wouldn't be expected to react like a journalist. She's clearly not a critical thinker or interested in intellectual curiosity, as her purely emotional reaction shows.

McCain, on the other hand, her reaction had the Five Ws written all over it. She wants to know the details. Behar couldn't care less.

You wanna see a liberal have a little orgasm? Tell them that Trump will be impeached, Pence will appoint Hillary as Vice President, and then Pence will promptly resign.

Reactions: davekc and muttly

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You wanna see a liberal have a little orgasm? Tell them that Trump will be impeached, Pence will appoint Hillary as Vice President, and then Pence will promptly resign.
Please stop, you're killing me!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"...had not been fully vetted through our editorial standards process"

That's code for "Our source sucks, and we're a bunch of asses for relying on a single unnamed source."

Reactions: muttly and Ragman

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Since he has time off during the holidays, I'm curious to how he'll spend it.
a) Drowning himself with eggnog.
b) Drowning his source.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Incidentally, and ironically, 3 years ago ABC moved The View from its Entertainment Group to the Non-fiction Group headed by ABC News.

I think they need to move it back, because Joy's joyful chair-hopping leg-tingle news on Friday was literally pure fictional entertainment.