hello_hello_hello

New Recruit
Driver
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to deliveries and although this isn't necessarily trucking related I thought you guys might be able to help me out. My wife is a florist and she's starting to offer deliveries. I'm going to be delivering to our clients and we need something to keep the flowers refrigerated and in good condition.

I found a reefer unit from the company called Volta Air and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with their units or the company.

My van is the 2017 Mercedes Sprinter cargo van and it has a capacity of 15m^3.

Thanks in advance!

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to deliveries and although this isn't necessarily trucking related I thought you guys might be able to help me out. My wife is a florist and she's starting to offer deliveries. I'm going to be delivering to our clients and we need something to keep the flowers refrigerated and in good condition.

I found a reefer unit from the company called Volta Air and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with their units or the company.

Thanks in advance!
I can’t say I have any experience with such reefer, but out of curiosity, how cold do you need the flowers to be?

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Should probably have more concern with the van. Sprinters have proven to be some what problematic with emissions issues. For local type deliveries you want to look at a gasser like the ford transit.

Sorry no tips for the refer part

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You might be ok with a gasser van with a rear AC unit, even a rooftop RV type.

Add on RV units are really good these days, might be just the ticket for a van.
Maybe hang a flexible curtain to separate the cab from the cargo area.
Go for it and good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Should probably have more concern with the van. Sprinters have proven to be some what problematic with emissions issues. For local type deliveries you want to look at a gasser like the ford transit.

As stated .. the guy has a 2017 Sprinter. Are you suggesting he change his unit? His is brand new ...

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: BIGTRAIN

BIGTRAIN

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

As stated .. the guy has a 2017 Sprinter. Are you suggesting he change his unit? His is brand new ...

Thanks for jumping in there .....I agree . He asked about refrigeration.....not his VAN !

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi Everyone!

Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately, there may not be an abundance of information or advise on here concerning refrigerated vans (Sprinter, Transit, Pro Master, etc..)

It's specialized equipment for this size unit. Not exactly what most of us need. Added weight & lack of customer base make it undesirable. Think niche markets ... pharmaceuticals ... flowers ... whatever.

The 2007-2009 Sprinter NCV3 engines have well documented issues with their emissions systems. Your van is a different generation & 10 yrs newer. Good choice imo!

Best of luck with your business!

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry read that part wrong. Sprinters are still some thing to be concerned with IMO. I wonder if the roof top would get cold enough? What’s the required temp?

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I doubt it require heavy refrigeration for flowers, pretty much just cooling yes?
The problem with that is in a van the reefer will require the engine be constantly running.

Plan to get real acquainted with your dealer for "forced regens".
As the DPF will clog up constantly with this.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I doubt it require heavy refrigeration for flowers, pretty much just cooling yes?

This is what I was initially thinking. A person could set up a small generator, insulate the back area where flowers would be stored, and put in a smaller window AC, mount in the back door. This way you don’t have to idle the vehicle and potentially save a lot of $ instead of buying a set reefer unit.