ELD''s in cargo/sprinter vans

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I would question intermittently if he basically does it full time.
You've got a wildly undefined "it" hanging out there. What does "it" mean? Does "it" mean HAZMAT full time, or does "it" mean driving a CMV full time, or does "it" mean perform work for compensation full time?

And a good lawyer could really trip up a company rep on a driver who is not a driver, when convenient, although he's driving.
It would take not merely a good lawyer, but rather the best lawyer ever. I've learned two things about the FMCSA regulations: Never try and use common sense in applying the regulations, and never overthink it. A CMV driver is either on-duty and performing work for compensation (either for a carrier or for someone who is not a carrier), or they are off-duty and relieved of all work.

A cargo van driver is not, generally speaking, a driver of a commercial motor vehicle. The only time he is is when he's placarded for HAZMAT. The instant he unloads that hazardous material he is no longer a CMV driver. Period. Any time a cargo van driver operates a commercial motor vehicle (including but not limited to a placarded cargo van), he must account for the hours he has performed work (on-duty) over the previous seven days, regardless of what that work might be, whether it be operating a cash register at the Seven Eleven, popping the corn for Ragman's Saturday matinees, or, driving a cargo van.

Could be a who's on first style Q&A.
Not if those asking the questions understand the definitions of Commercial Motor Vehicle and of On-Duty. If they think "driver of a vehicle that hauls freight" applies to everybody regardless of the definitions within the regulations, yeah, it's gonna be confusing. But a good lawyer will know the definitions and will be asking the right questions.

Reactions: roadeyes

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I buy your arguments if debating in a room full of lawyers.
Presenting my arguments to a jury, think Billy Joe and Bobby Sue,( two Young lovers with nothing better to do) an average lawyer could muddy the waters, create enough confusion to prevail.
I quess we'll wait and see.
I guess the real answer will be seeing how cautious the industry leaders are on this issue.
We know how the sketchier members of our community will handle this.

Billy Joe and Bobby Sue could have been expediters.

They went down to El Paso,
Where they got into a great big hassle.....

I recommend Steve Miller of the Take The Money and Run Law Firm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Worn Out Manager

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Any time a cargo van driver operates a commercial motor vehicle....,must account for the hours he has performed work (on-duty) over the previous seven days....or.driving a cargo van.

The argument I've been trying to make.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's been confirmed.
Billy Joe and Bobby Sue ARE Expediters.
( The initials should have been a clue.)

According to Steve:

They got the money
Yeah, they got away
Bought a new Transit
And they're still running today
Singing.......

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Any time a cargo van driver operates a commercial motor vehicle....,must account for the hours he has performed work (on-duty) over the previous seven days....or.driving a cargo van.

It's an old argument, and one that cargo van drivers who occasionally haul HAZMAT have been complying with for years. The only thing that might change for some people with the ELD mandate is the method of accounting for those previous seven days. It just depends on how the carrier decides to implement ELDs in cargo vans when those vans are not CMVs. Won't be a big deal regardless.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot, do you have a thing against bar stools ?
No I don't have a ting against bar stools. I sometimes find it difficult to have a coherent discussion with a person on a bar stool.

And to be frank, I didn't read your document.
Either because it wouldn't show clearly on my iPhone or it was too far into happy hour for my eyes to focus.

You don't have a TING against bar stools ?

It's Monday and at least I'm sober enough to complete a sentence.
You certainly have a keen I for detail.

Reactions: Turtle

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Congratulations, you did it!

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The "word" of the law implies to me that if you are driving non hazmat you are still performing a duty for the carrier and should at the very least be logging it as being on duty and most truthfully should be logging it as driving, that way there is proof that the driver had proper off duty rest before hauling that loggable hazmat.
Carriers that let their cargo vans load loggable hazmat should be making them properly log 24/7/365 as it will go along way to protecting both the carriers and driver's asses in the event of an incident.

Vanners, if you agree to accept loggable hazmat at all, even if you only get one every once in a while, you are still on duty if on a non haz run so either log 24/7 or don't do hazmat period is how I would interpret and enforce the "spirit" of the law.
This is why some carriers have the policy of only allowing hazmat on trucks that would normally log anyway.
As was mentioned, it's too much of a hassle to ensure compliance with the vanners.
Eventually you will all be forced to log. Technology makes it so easy and most of you are already being monitored by your carrier anyway so it really won't be anything new when it becomes law.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No I don't have a ting against bar stools. I sometimes find it difficult to have a coherent discussion with a person on a bar stool.

Either because it wouldn't show clearly on my iPhone or it was too far into happy hour for my eyes to focus.

Yes eye do.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
maybe it is time to be professional....maybe time to re consider the logging issue for all CV's doing interstate loads?...
do you really think you are any further ahead doing 30 hour drive on 5hrs sleep with a couple power naps...safe?...are you really making more? or is your carrier just throwing you to the wolves?...
If it drives out enough of the free loaders it just might increase rates like a straight truck...no one would have an advantage over the next guy...and you'd probably be healthier to boot...?....
I am a cargo van driver..PERIOD...nothing special nothing professional about it really...

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If it drives out enough of the free loaders it just might increase rates like a straight truck...no one would have an advantage over the next guy...and you'd probably be healthier to boot...?....
I agree. While it will somewhat level the playing field, it will also cause more freight to be shifted onto team vehicles that would previously be done by a solo if the times are tight.
The trucking industry as a whole has a huge opportunity here to make the shippers wake up and realize they can't waste a drivers time like they have been used to doing. Getting loaded/unloaded quick will have to become a priority and the industry has a chance here to make the shippers/receivers accountable because they can blame it on government regulation without the carrier making themselves look like the bad guy.
Detention time needs to start after one hour now not two, and be enforced for all customers.
This is the opportunity for the industry to come together and tighten capacity and increase rates while using the government as a scapegoat. I hope they are smart enough to take advantage of it.

I am a cargo van driver..PERIOD...nothing special nothing professional about it really...

Professionalism is an attitude Ken, the occupation is irrelevant. Don't sell yourself short!:)