Did you leave a good paying job to get into this business?

zanico

Expert Expediter
I am struggling here. I found this site over 10 years ago. I jump on here now and then to read up on whats going on and see how the business is doing. At the time I needed a stable income to get my kids into and through college. Well...mission accomplished.

Without going into too much detail... I'm 52 and have had this job for 33 years. Its the only real job I have ever had. I make OK money and have built up a decent amount of savings. No company pension, only a self funded 401K with a very small company match. My health insurance is through my wife's employer, although my employer does offer it. The job has slowly morphed into something I just don't enjoy anymore. When I tell people that I want to leave my current job and get into expediting they think I'm absolutely crazy! Am I? Is it insane for me to leave stable job and jump into something that I have only read about?

Sorry about my rambling......back to my question.

Did any of you leave a good paying, stable job, to get into this inconsistent line of employment?

Reactions: Ruan131

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I left my U S Postal Service Job after 17 years in 2003 (letter carrier) loved the outside work and my customers .... inside office stress after 911 was terrible ... started out in Str-8 truck , within 6 months i could once again get peacefull sleep ... almost no stress ... did the Str-8 truck until 2008 when freight market got bad ... then went off road for 2 years employment ...
Back out in Flat top Chevy van in 2010 and currently in 2017 Promaster .... Owner/Operator .. love the Freedom ... Dealing with People you meet out here is a 2 edge sword .... my age 59 in june

hauling freight from a Pond near you

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
zanico

It really depends on what your looking for at this stage of your life.

If your looking for independence and control of your schedule. Expediting would be good fit. If you have a bug to travel and see North America. Expediting would be a good fit. If you would like the opportunity (and risk) to generate your own income based on your availability. Expediting would be good fit.

If you are looking for:
  • Set Hours
  • Guaranteed Income
  • Employer Paid Benefits
Expediting would not be a good fit.

Still want to try it? Here's sound advice from many in this community. Drive for a fleet owner first, there are many great ones who participate in these forums, do a little background check first.

Many Driver Want ads are posted here:

1. https://www.expeditersonline.com/classifieds/

2. Consider this large fleet who can offer equipment financing Upcoming EGG - Expediter Services

3. Attend the Expedite Expo for tons of information, workshops and speak face to face with industry leading carriers: http://expediteexpo.com

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am struggling here. I found this site over 10 years ago. I jump on here now and then to read up on whats going on and see how the business is doing. At the time I needed a stable income to get my kids into and through college. Well...mission accomplished.

Without going into too much detail... I'm 52 and have had this job for 33 years. Its the only real job I have ever had. I make OK money and have built up a decent amount of savings. No company pension, only a self funded 401K with a very small company match. My health insurance is through my wife's employer, although my employer does offer it. The job has slowly morphed into something I just don't enjoy anymore. When I tell people that I want to leave my current job and get into expediting they think I'm absolutely crazy! Am I? Is it insane for me to leave stable job and jump into something that I have only read about?

Did any of you leave a good paying, stable job, to get into this inconsistent line of employment?

If you're looking at going into the van segment of the market, I'll agree with others ... absolutely crazy.
I'd recommend straight truck or larger ...

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I left a good paying, reasonably stable job, in 2014. My wife had been retired for a couple of years. Was looking for something we could do together, kids were doing fine with there lives. Haven't looked back. With both of us contributing our gross income is slightly better. We are in a sprinter, that's set up for a team.
For some it might have been a insane move. Hard to forcast what your experance will be like.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The job has slowly morphed into something I just don't enjoy anymore. When I tell people that I want to leave my current job and get into expediting they think I'm absolutely crazy! Am I?
You are definitely crazy! I should know. I recognize the signs.

Is it insane for me to leave stable job and jump into something that I have only read about?
Certainly its insane to leave a stable job. Just ask anyone with a stable job that abhors that job. Also insane acts are common among crazy people.

I did! Was I crazy? Yes, but there are many different types of crazy. One kind of crazy is throwing caution to the wind and making a drastic job change. Another type of crazy is the going postal crazy. I was on the verge of doing the postal thing. My crazy decision to get into expediting averted me from doing the crazy postal thing. I guess it all comes down to different degrees of insanity. Excuse me I have guns to clean.

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
I left a good job as the general manager of a small but very successful business, where the owner was definitely overpaying me and giving me basically full run of the place. I did a good job over several years of working there and increased my pay by almost double from when I first started. Still, I had a boss, and as with any relationship, there will be times when that relationship gets bumpy. My particular boss, despite being a good guy in general, was not good at interacting with subordinates(including me) without insulting them and basically stressing them out with threats of losing their job and/or being docked pay. I had several clients who were in expediting(the business was an auto-repair facility, car dealership, and trucking company housed in one very large building.) So I learned a very small amount about expediting through casual conversations with those clients.

I decided to take the plunge into expediting after a particularly bad argument with the owner of the business I managed, where he basically reneged on a deal, cutting my commission on vehicle sales in half retroactively(so on a vehicle I purchased, repaired, and sold already, I was not going to get paid what was agreed upon.)

I had already been considering and planning to get into the business to lower my general stress level from having to deal with a boss, so I already had a van purchased and all I had to do was upfit it for expediting.

To this day, my old boss will still hire me back if I ever want to stop expediting. Despite leaving after an argument, I did my job well, and left on a good note, offering to help with whatever he needed to facilitate replacing me.

Looking back, there are some things I would have done differently. Lawrence gives good advice here. If I were to do it all over again, I might have went to work for a fleet owner first just to see how it all worked. Also, whatever you think you'll need, money-wise, to get started as an owner-operator, double it. Everything costs money, and to have a truck set up right to be on the road consistenly, you need to have proper equipment and upfitting of the vehicle. I started out with no generator, no inverter, no independent heating/cooling, 2 12v power sockets(1 broken), and a wood floor that I installed with e-track. It's hard to basically live on the road in such a spartan manner, so it encourages you to go home more often, which is a money trap. It costs money to go home. Every time you go, you pay for that gas. And at least with me, the allure to spend "just one more day" at home after spending that money to get there is too strong. It's easy to end up being a part-time expeditor with companies that don't specifically require you to be available a certain number of days per month.(I wouldn't have it any other way, but it's still easy to take too much time off.)

That said, I have no regrets about leaving my old job to get into expediting. The freedom to set my own schedule, take time off when I need it, and just generally be the master of my own destiny is infinitely rewarding in the form of a healthy psyche, even if less rewarding materially.

Just make sure you're financially prepared for the worst, because eventually the worst will happen. You'll pay thousands of dollars to replace engines/transmissions, and you HAVE to have a very healthy cushion as an owner/operator to do that. You can't depend on future earnings in expediting to build that cushion. You need to have it at the start, because what if you have one of these things happen in week 1 of expediting? Things just come out of nowhere on you, and as the master of your own destiny, you have no one but yourself to depend on to take care of things like that. And working for another fleet owner, you really don't make enough money(in my experience) to save up money to become an O/O, so if you have a good job now, you should save up all the money you'll need to become an O/O before you even go to work for a fleet owner.

Others have said it before on here, and it was good advice. Probably 75% of owner operators out there are 1 breakdown away from being an Ex-Expeditor. Don't be one of those guys.

EDIT: Sorry for the wall of text. Guess I got carried away. ;)

Last edited:

IBXPUHDYTIN'

New Recruit
Researching
I am in the same boat as o/p but I want to use expediting to live in a 12-14 ft box truck rent free and play poker when stopped and or take time off (no family or friends and lived in a big truck frm 97-04 OTR TANKER) Tired of being taken to task by 30 something managers and poker 40 gets to be a job too

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't require a lot of money to be happy, so straight up, if I was single, I’d buy a cargo van, set it up exactly how I would want it, and just go out and enjoy life while making decent money at the same time.

But I’m in a relationship, and I’m not 100% yet on wanting to take her out with me. I want to be home on weekends, so Flatbed/local routes are looking more and more like a fit for my life.

Now, I say all that so you know, Expediting means away from home. How important is “home” to you?

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We both left a 50k a year salary behind for expediting. Heather was an optician for over 20 years and I in the courier business for over 12. We never look back. The same repetitive job day in day out was killing our souls. Now we feel we are living life on our terms.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You nailed it my friend.
Well said.
I made sure I had 5 or 6 grand in hand and available before I hit the road after buying my own truck.
At orientation, I was told that I was doing it the right way because so many newbies get caught with expenses and breakdowns ,so they fail because there is no emergency fund available if and when it's needed.
If you have any doubt that you have enough money to start and deal with anything that may arise without getting stranded or unable to repair an issue, then don't dive in until you are.
Right here is a great place to start. Get educated, pay your dues, then, and Only then, go for it!
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
For me, it was a health issue that led me to this career.
A bad accident wrecked my lower extremities and I was no longer able to be on my feet for a long day as a sailor, a nurse assistant or a physical therapist .
Being a single person ( the girlfriend dumped me when I started this job ). No kids or close family to come home to either,
It seemed like a good fit for me .
I'm making good money, I have no boss, I can take time off when and where I want and I enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of doing a job well, being on time, ect.
Do I miss going home after work everyday?
Not really, nothing attractive to come home to at this point in my Life.
That's the goal for me. To find my attraction.
Interesting post. Kinda makes you think about why we do what we do.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Worn Out Manager

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Yes, we left good paying stable jobs and everyone thought we had lost minds!! We had hours of 9-5, weekends off, retirement, health insurance, and we were bored out of our minds. Kids had left home for college and we needed a change.

Thirteen years later as owner-operators of a straight truck we make more money, we have better retirement, we get to see our extended family more, and we are still having the time of our lives...

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Can't add anything intelligent to what's already been said. Thus:
For some (1) it's an escape & evade maneuver.
Tired of all the crap that nest of vermin called humanity evoke in daily 9-5 work.
Human contact minimal, no social or family obligations, body parts not broken or wore out.
Works for me !!!

Reactions: Worn Out Manager