Mechanical Buying a M2 truck that needs 6 injectors

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Need some advice

I want to buy a used 2006 M2 cat 7 engine ,with 300k miles.

The seller, said it needs injectors to be replaced . It's a cat 7 engine.

Selling price 8k

Please advice if you guys think it's a worthy gamble. And yes I've heard and read everything everyone says about CAT 7 engines been bad

Good idea or bad idea

Sent from my SM-N910T using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I guess it depends if it needs injectors? May need a heui pump as well. Add that and injectors, that is roughly 8k retail at a Cat dealer. May or may not be a good deal depending on the rest of it. That c7 will go way beyond 300k if it was services properly.
Also keep in mind, Cat does not do "New" injectors any more. They do rebuilds. Still warranty them but something to consider.

Reactions: Kip life

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably 5k. Would still recommend a pump because the bearings in the pump likely failed and shot metal through the fuel rail taking out all the injectors. Injectors typically wouldn't need replaced at 300 unless something upstream took them out.

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see so either way I am looking at approx 8k isn't it just cheaper to get a used engine to such a unit than spend 8k on two items?

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greasshirt, thanks for your input. First off, I want to stay with a truck pre DEF or whatever they have nowdays. So I am strictly looking at anything pre 07 and post 04.

I don't want to buy anything international or Hino. My current 2004 m2 has been good despite what is considered a bad engine CAT 3126.

So as it is, I exactly know what I want in in my next truck but I am also not well versed enough with trucks to make a decision on own .

That why I come to you guys.. you have alot of knowledge and and willing to share

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wouldn't have a CAT engine if they gave it to me. They are junk and CAT is dishonest and doesn't stand behind their product or their warranty. Good luck to you if you do get it.

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am at the CAT dealership in san antonio and they have Quoted me $2750 6 injectors and filters and labor

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
What Davekc sd, probably needs a heui pump. My experience with CAT C-9, similar engine, 2006 motor went 1.3 million before major oil usage a problem, went thru about 4 heui's and pieced mealed the injectors as I went along except for once did full replacement. Most pumps didn't throw much debri but even a minute amount will cause problems. Run Howes and do not over dilute, run a gallon Howes /320 gallons fuel unless using to anti gel, makes for a smoother CAT, but that is the fuel side of the pump, so I don't believe it will help save the heui from grenading it's tiny roller bearings on the oil side.

Parts are too expensive. Didn't ever use my CAT warranties at a CAT dealer because Freightliner dealers could get me right in and they will honor CAT warranties for the most part. Freightliner in Mt Vernon, IL is the only one that wanted me to pay for $5,500 repair (heui and injectors) up front and reimburse me weeks later after CAT reimbursed them, which I ended up not doing after contacting CAT and talking to supervisors at the dealer to explain this is not how warranties works. The service writer was a real ringer let me tell you after some other issues I had on non warranty wheel bearing work.

The heui pump and price of injectors are my main gripes but have made good money and not too hard to do the labor myself. I do have to go to someone with the CAT ET to set the trim on the injectors.

So far, 200,000 on CAT certified reman and warranty has paid for one heui and 7 injectors. Since a old timer told me to run Howes, truck runs smoother and fuel mileage went from 9.2 to 9.7, allison 6 speed. Because the Howes runs thru the fuel, I don't think it will help the heui pump roller bearing failures on the oil side.

Sounds pretty cheap to me but if not running I'd be hesitant, I just don't like buying something you have to go right to work on, could turn into a major wasp nest.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I bet the $2750 is just for the injectors. The "and" sounds to me can be replaced with "PLUS". Make sure they know to pull the plug on the oil galley on the head to sweep a magnet thru, the metal from a failed pump will end up there towards the front mostly and if not removed, and heui pump replaced, you will be talking another round of injectors after cranking it pumps the metal into the oil fired injectors. Injectors are usually right at $3,000 for a six pack with exchange on the C-9.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
My biggest issue is price point, I want to stay cheap .I already have a 04 that I got lucky.

I know that price is very important, but at this price point you are playing Russian roulette. It's hard to lump make and model into good and bad categories down at this level because everything at this level is either ancient, has a billion miles on it, or has had the tar beaten out of it. Or it smells like a urinal.

Buy the best one you can afford. Not the one with the lowest price. Skipping this latest truck was a smart move. Be very picky.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app