Blower Motor Replacement

Coffee2016

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Driver
Good Morning,
I work for a office coffee and bottled water company here in Portland, Oregon. Our Hino water truck stopped blowing air through the vents the other day and I replaced the blower motor. I checked all the fuses that I could find with a voltmeter, and confirmed the blower motor was getting power. When I found out the motor was getting power I went ahead and replaced the blower motor thinking that the motor was the problem. After installing the new blower motor...it still doesn't work. I noticed with the connector plugged into the motor I'm getting 12v on both pins of the connector. Is this correct? I assume one of these pins should be a ground. With the connector disconnected I'm not getting continuity to ground on either one of the pins, and the resistance reads 180 or so ohms. I haven't been able to find a schematic of the circuit and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
-Aaron

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hi Aaron,

Yes, the blower motor always has power. It grounds through the blower motor switch. The switch and its connector get fried when old blower motors start consuming too much power. You have fixed the root cause, now pop out the switch and look at the connector. Replacement connector bodies and wire repair pigtails are available.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Coffee2016

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Driver
Hi Greasy,
I have got the new switch and pigtail. Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to get to it this afternoon after route. I'll post the results.
Thanks again
-Aaron

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hi Greasy,
I have got the new switch and pigtail. Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to get to it this afternoon after route. I'll post the results.
Thanks again
-Aaron
Occasionally the blower resistor also gets damaged, but generally speaking replacing the switch and repairing the harness and connector solves everything.

Coffee2016

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Driver
Thanks so much for your help Greasy! The switch and connector were totally fried. Splicing the pigtail and replacing the switch was quick and easy. I removed the radio to access the switch and connector, spliced the connector, installed the switch, and voila!
I wasn't expecting the switch/connector to be so burnt up.
Thanks again!
-Aaron

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Thanks so much for your help Greasy! The switch and connector were totally fried. Splicing the pigtail and replacing the switch was quick and easy. I removed the radio to access the switch and connector, spliced the connector, installed the switch, and voila!
I wasn't expecting the switch/connector to be so burnt up.
Thanks again!
-Aaron
Glad I could help!