The latest new Load One custom

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
They can, however, cite the driver for not having a log book and medical card, because if it weighs 10,001 pounds or more, regardless of what the weight rating is, it is a CMV. The regs make that very clear. Don't have to argue with anyone about it, all you have to do is read the regulation. Just look up the definition of a CMV.
I am not finding that in CFR 390 regarding the definition of a CMV anywhere. Can you please tell me the regulation you are looking at?

CFR 390 speaks extensively about the weight rating of the vehicle but not about if the actual weight exceeds the ACTUAL weight rating... as far as I can tell.

What regulation number am I missing?

I know a lot about truck construction regulations because I absolutely had to. However, I probably still can learn something about driver exclusive regulations, as we only had to build trucks. But from what I see in CFR 390, the weight stated on the rating plate determines if it is a CMV or not. The regulation does not seem to use the actual weight of a non-combination vehicle to determine if it is a CMV or not. This is a learning opportunity for me... not because we violate but because I want to know for sure now because it came up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBird

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
am not finding that in CFR 390 regarding the definition of a CMV anywhere. Can you please tell me the regulation you are looking at?
It's CFR 390.5 definitions

The FMCSA 390.5 said:
Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

First it states the weight rating, then it states the actual weight, and then it wraps it up by making it clear that whichever one of those is the greater number is the one to which the rule applies.

You could have a GVWR of 9,990, but if you actually weigh 10,045 pounds, there ya go. Greater is greater.

That's why it's so important for someone pushing things with a 9999 GVWR that they don't allow Creature Comfort Creep and end up over 10,000 pounds because they've got too much assorted crap on board. If the vehicle is really close, I'd do the math to find out the cargo capacity, and then subtract a couple hundred pounds as a little safety net.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I have followed this thread with some interest because the subject of experimentation and innovation in this business. After all, it is a moving target. Soo, i'll say that many reading this are a product of their experiences and also a product of the quality/knowledge of their dispatch staff. That said, I see value in the type of equipment being presented here. Back in the day...when Leased to Roberts then fedup, I hauled 5-6 skids in my 22ft box truck that barely weighed 1K many times.

However, when presenting a concept to predominately O/O's and drivers the readers are not able to look over the fence to the greener grass. Seems anytime a concept is presented here we always have a dic nose or five wanting to P on someones parade. Case and point years back there was a fella that lauded his Class eight single axle Kenworth straight truck and guffawed my Class eight Argosy quad axle with 30ft box capable of 16 skids and CARRYING 34K.

The fella was a product of his knowledge and experience and, me of mine as a dispatcher and Carrier. I am certain John with his training background, already has a set of dispatchers trained up and ready to take advantage of Mr. Ws attempt to make everyone more efficient and profitable.

I'd suggest to save yourself heartburn and typing, keep experimenting/innovating, keep it to yourself, and, let em wonder what happened while you are making trips to the Bank.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Soo, i'll say that many reading this are a product of their experiences and also a product of the quality/knowledge of their dispatch staff.
Sir, I take great exception to the second half of your above statement.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Soo, i'll say that many reading this are a product of their experiences and also a product of the quality/knowledge of their dispatch staff.
I can accept that great exception

I can accept that great exception. However, you quite probably may be an exception and not the many I typed about.

Reactions: Moot

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
IMO anything that is less then 15 mpg is a loser .... as not every load will pay what is required to make this work ... even straight trucks are working cheap these days and they are getting 10-11 mpg. Again it's just 1 opinion :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
For years I've heard that a minimum 72 " of rear door height is required to be considered a sprinter load.Why only the 69 " height?

Sent from my Z988 using EO Forums mobile app
I don't know..the standard automotive 45x48 bin is about 35" or 70" stacked....my older sprinter is just 70 high and its a tight squeeze but they do go in....I am thinking because the top one sits down a bit on the bottom bin...

Makes no sense...anything over 48" won;t go on a CV

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd look at it from an O/O viewpoint not fleet owner. I'd wave a magic wand and make it have 73" door opening height with 75" or so inside height. I'd include the windows etc. but not the bulkhead wall or bed. Due to a hiatal hernia I have to sleep in a recliner. I'd have the entire area open so when not under load my "home" would be huge. I'd add an Onan Quiet 2800 and some sort of A/C and the gasoline fired Espar. All that based on John saying he could use me/it. Otherwise I'd stay here in the recliner and just read about it.

Oh, and I know a guy that has a great floor roller system for moving the freight in and out. I'd see if he could hook me up. I'd probably list my capacity at 3,300 pounds figuring I had about 3,600 actual and keeping about 50 pounds per floor spot as leeway for ignorant shippers who don't weigh properly.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
For years I've heard that a minimum 72 " of rear door height is required to be considered a sprinter load.Why only the 69 " height?

Promasters are 69" high at the door and they are loaded quite often... I have a herd of them so I know...

I have a 72" high Ford and only VERY, VERY rarely does it see anything over 60" high, only once over 69"high.

Keep in mind that 6 - 35" high containers still fit... even 6 - 65" high containers!

Most importantly, height is the biggest factor in fuel efficiency for vans. I'm not going to spend another 5% or more for fuel for my entire fleet for a handful of loads (at best) a year. Don't forget, this van can haul anything $printers can, one way or the other.

I swear, obviously a few would find fault with even a golden goose!!!

Reactions: RoadTime

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Exactly and so why wouldn't load one make their trailer 6 feet high. Is it not worth the cost to raise that trailer up are there not enough Automotive loads or there are not enough Sprinter loads

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We are keeping all these in our own fleet, leased to load-1. They will be VERY profitable. Don't feel sorry for us.
Does that mean you will not be making them available to other owner ops and fleet owners running for Load One? You did a great job on this van. Makes me want to start setting aside a little bit more coin to replace my Promaster when it dies in a few years.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Does that mean you will not be making them available to other owner ops and fleet owners running for Load One? You did a great job on this van. Makes me want to start setting aside a little bit more coin to replace my Promaster when it dies in a few years.
XLT10, Inc. will be putting drivers in all of them... drivers working for West Michigan Expedite, Inc.

It just a simple business decision... we can make far more $$$ by owning them than selling them. Sorry!

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow. Finally a thread that has the potential to make me grab some popcorn.
They are far and few between anymore. Too many good posters have retired and the colorful ones have been run off.
I like both Steve and John but am confused about what I think now.
EDIT. I had a vision last night on how this evil plot against the Expedite Empire was hatched:
3am in a smokey room just south of Nashville:

Steve: Hey John. Give me 18 months and I can build a vehicle that can lower straight truck rates.
John: Tell me about it, Stevearino.
Steve: blah blah blah.........
John: Excellent idea Stevenson !
Lowering straight truck rates in 2017 is on my list of things to do.
You know , almost daily we get calls asking for a hard to load, hard to unload, hard to secure, non dock high straight truck.
Stevie, Stevie, Stevie, You the Man !

First off, beautiful job Steve. I wish you would go do upfits and stop trying to re-invent the wheel.
Curious of why you assume this will be highly profitable. Any promises or dedicated freight?
That's the only way I see it profitable. We know when we target a vehicle for specific, non regular freight that it will result in more deadhead and downtime.
Would I drive it ?
No, unless there was a fuel cost adjustment.
Any fuel penalty and handling problems will be on every load, offset by an occasional premium run ?

Pricing. If John picks up Straight Truck freight for less than straight truck rates, does that make him a Penske style operator with better insurance?
If he gets straight truck rates, how do straight truck operators feel about competing against a straight w/o a logbook ?
Seems like a way to piss everybody off.

And I'm surprised the homemade body passes the insurance underworld.( s/b underwriters).
Lawyer at trial:
So Steve, you built it for profitability first, driver comfort second.
Any structural testing? Wind tunnel or skid pad testing ?
Steve:
We ran it to 7-11 for munchies after each phase.
Lawyer:
That's ALL you did for safety?
Steve:
Well we put $40 extra worth of reflective tape on the rear doors. We think it looks cool.
Lawyer:
Since you don't have a gazillion dollar product liability policy you can step down. We'll concentrate on your carriers policies. Pun intended.

The straight truck field is getting saturated like the van market. Friends tell me if they bid on any load that can be hauled by a van, they offer their regular price,( they can't compete with a van),and put the call out of their mind.

I hope this is about a break even deal for all involved. I don't want good guys getting hurt, nor do I want to see them prosper on this idea.

A year from now I hope we hear " It seemed like a good idea at the time" and "It was just more trouble than it was worth."

Back to retirement.....
Hey barkeep, another VO & Water.
And one of those 1/2 hot dogs.

Last edited:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I saw the video on overdrive mag, I think you though this out to the max. with right company it will do well.
by trail and error you will figure out how to use unit to max.