US Air Force
Keep going!
fb754ce653505b50dcf6fc4eefcd7b20.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
91b01aad53676cdf36284703d07cc97a.png

After a having a little plateau, fat burning seems to be kicking back in gear. 85 pounds gone now

Also, noticed that it's been 1 year since I started getting more serious about my weight and general health.

...oops, it's still June lol. So 11 months ago

bdf9d2277fd0069e06e236b20691d30d.png

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
4th of July in the Keto Kitchen.

What new recipe idea will I try this time?

Why a nice steak sounds good.

steak.png

Well, kind of. My first attempt at making grilled Beef Heart :eek:

cow.png

Actually been wanting to try this for some time, ever since I started adding organ meat to my diet.
Would have initially repulsed me, but after hearing so many comments on how good it is, taste like steak, and when cold taste like roast beef. I was up for the challenge.

I followed this recipe...
Grilled Beef Heart

I currently have mixed feeling on my results.

Pros:
It wasn't as gross as I expected to prepare.
It was very tender, did taste like steak for a fraction of the price.
Did taste like roast beef when cold (especially with mustard, which is what I like on roast beef)

Cons:
I didn't care much for the Balsamic Vinegar marinade. Unfortunately, I marinated it all, so will have to try something different next time. but that's a personal preference.
Although it tasted like steak, there was this ever so faint taste that I could not identify at first. I knew the taste, but it was so weak I couldn't put my finger on it.

Then it came to me. The very faint taste was...Liver. Having already added Liver to my diet, it wasn't a big deal especially how faint the taste was. I would definitely want beef heart over Liver.

With such a faint liver taste, I can see this easily being remedied with different ingredients/marinades.
There are lots of recipes out there for use in stews, ground up as hamburger, stroganoff. Anything you would use beef in.

My comment on the Liver taste is the only one I could find, so maybe it's just me or how I made it :rolleyes:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Confused about dietary advice? Tired of eating whole grains and vegetable oil and not getting any healthier? It's time to go back to real, full-fat food.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

View attachment 15928

View attachment 15929

Actually been wanting to try this for some time, ever since I started adding organ meat to my diet.
Would have initially repulsed me, but after hearing so many comments on how good it is, taste like steak, and when cold taste like roast beef. I was up for the challenge.

Grilled Beef Heart

Pros:
Did taste like roast beef when cold (especially with mustard, which is what I like on roast beef)

Cons:
I didn't care much for the Balsamic Vinegar marinade. Unfortunately, I marinated it all, so will have to try something different next time. but that's a personal preference.
Although it tasted like steak, there was this ever so faint taste that I could not identify at first. I knew the taste, but it was so weak I couldn't put my finger on it.

Then it came to me. The very faint taste was...Liver. Having already added Liver to my diet, it wasn't a big deal especially how faint the taste was. I would definitely want beef heart over Liver.

With such a faint liver taste, I can see this easily being remedied with different ingredients/marinades.
There are lots of recipes out there for use in stews, ground up as hamburger, stroganoff. Anything you would use beef in.

My comment on the Liver taste is the only one I could find, so maybe it's just me or how I made it :rolleyes:

The "liver" taste. Probably not just you. The heart, like the liver has a blood/ iron taste from , well, the blood. Maybe not as strong of a taste in the heart as it is a muscle, where the liver is a filter.
If it is just a faint taste, I might have to try it. Can't stand liver because of the iron taste. Maybe putting the heart on a smoker would cover that faint taste?

Reactions: RoadTime

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Grilled Beef Heart

Pros:

Cons:

I'm sorry that just doesn't work for me.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The "liver" taste. Probably not just you. The heart, like the liver has a blood/ iron taste from , well, the blood. Maybe not as strong of a taste in the heart as it is a muscle, where the liver is a filter.
If it is just a faint taste, I might have to try it. Can't stand liver because of the iron taste. Maybe putting the heart on a smoker would cover that faint taste?

I did find out it was the balsamic vinegar marinade that I disliked the most. Even just smelling the bottle makes me shutter.. I tried to unmarinade what I had left with other flavors, made it a little better, but after a few days of beef heart, I've had my fill of it for a while :rolleyes:

The butcher I got it from said he makes deer heart, wondering what that taste like now, but don't think I'll try it ;)

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Perception, reluctance, and the unmentionables...

After decades of wearing 2x-3x size clothing, I've been rather reluctant to wear more form fitting clothing.
Even after losing 85 pounds, I'm still for the most part wearing the same clothes. Obviously, there too big now, but comfortable, and it's what I've been used to wearing.

All my jeans are ridiculously huge now and make me look like a hobo clown. So they have all been mothballed.
I actually don't like jeans anymore and prefer the comfort of sweat pants and boarder shorts. But even with those, I'm now having to double and triple tie the draw strings to keep them up.

What will it take me to finally start buying smaller clothes?

Well, here is a start. TMI ALERT.
If it wasn't already hard enough to keep my pants up, now I can't keep my underwear up :eek:
Ok, that's not going to fly. Being the reluctant size changer I am, I was going to buy 1 size smaller. But the packaging says I need 2 sizes smaller.

Hmmm, ok, I'll give it a try.

Holding them up and looking at them I laughed, thinking they look so small, like a kid should wear them.

To my surprise, it was a perfect fit.

This led me to try something I've been putting off.
Try on my +33 year old suit from high school. Yes, I still have it. Thankfully, it's not from the 70's so it's still fashionable today and in excellent shape.

Almost identical to this one...

suit.png

And it fits. The pants don't require a belt, so I'm still a little above my high school weight, but not by much.

Perception can be a fumy thing. I guess as clothes continue to fall off, I'll finally have to give in to smaller sized clothing :rolleyes:

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Glad you're posting here. I lost quite a bit on paleo but eating that way got lost in the rush of living. Weighed in the docs today, when I figured out what 120.7 kg meant I decided I had to catch up on your posts
You Canadians, it's so cute when you talk like Europeans and use funny measurements, but I like it because with your method I'm only 107

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With the increasing popularity of a Paleo Diet, organ meat consumption has also grown.

I conclude my organ meat tour with, Beef Tongue.
Really, that's as far as I'm going :rolleyes:

"While organ meats have gotten a little more attention in the Paleo community recently, many people still don’t quite appreciate how vital it is to include these nutritional powerhouses in their regular diet".

174159645.jpg

The last time I tried Beef tongue was in my teen years. Mom loved it, and would make it for us on occasion. I remember thinking it was not bad, so decided to give it another try.

Note: the above picture shows the skin still on, it can be easily removed after cooking. You can eat it, but more visually appealing not to see the taste buds ;)

I already eat the Liver, and after eating heart, it wasn't very hard to try this again.

I made mine in a slow cooker. Very simple, like making a roast.

What's it taste like?
If you haven't tried it before, it reminded me of eating a fatty beef roast.
Had I not of known what it was, I would not of know the difference.
You can also eat it cold for sandwiches, etc.

"Because tongue is still technically muscle meat, the nutritional profile is similar to that of other beef muscle meats. It’s a good source of iron, zinc, choline, vitamin B12, other B vitamins, and trace minerals. (1) Tongue is a fatty cut of meat, with about 70% of its calories coming from fat, making it one of the most tender cuts of beef you can find."

Although I did like it, I did not like the price.
Unless my butcher is just way over priced, I was shocked that it was $8.40 a pound :eek:
Seriously? It's the tongue, the heart was only $2.40 a pound.
I grumbled about the price, but since it was the only reason I made the trip, I got it.

So, I enjoyed it. But unless the price comes way down, this will be my last time :rolleyes:

Reactions: brokcanadian

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was just looking over my St. Clair County news letter.

There is a section promoting exercise called..."Get Moving!".

It's unclear where they got their data, but it wasn't very surprising. It says that 67% of St. Clair County adults report being overweight or obese.

Judging from what I see around town, there are many more that are unreported :rolleyes:

Reactions: Treadmill

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Perception can be a fumy thing. I guess as clothes continue to fall off, I'll finally have to give in to smaller sized clothing :rolleyes:

We see this reluctance in the gym also. One woman in particular comes to mind. She has totally transformed herself from morbidly obese to fit, toned and trim. Joint pain she used to experience went away because the joints are no longer bearing too much weight. Physical activity like biking, hiking and playing with the grandkids has skyrocketed because her strength, mobility, balance and stamina have all improved. She loves life and loves working out.

Yet when it comes to clothing, she still wears the 3x tops she wore before. When people ask her why, she says she does not see herself as thin. It makes no sense to her to buy smaller shirts. She had to buy smaller pants because her old ones would not stay up.

Diane and I have also reduced our body sizes since getting into the fitness business. We have purchased new clothes and they are a joy to wear. Yet when we think about taking the old clothes to Goodwill, we have yet to do so. We don't need them any more. We absolutely hate the idea that they might one day be needed again. Yet we hang on to them.

It seems the big clothes are the last thing to go.

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We see this reluctance in the gym also. One woman in particular comes to mind. She has totally transformed herself from morbidly obese to fit, toned and trim. Joint pain she used to experience went away because the joints are no longer bearing too much weight. Physical activity like biking, hiking and playing with the grandkids has skyrocketed because her strength, mobility, balance and stamina have all improved. She loves life and loves working out.

Yet when it comes to clothing, she still wears the 3x tops she wore before. When people ask her why, she says she does not see herself as thin. It makes no sense to her to buy smaller shirts. She had to buy smaller pants because her old ones would not stay up.

Diane and I have also reduced our body sizes since getting into the fitness business. We have purchased new clothes and they are a joy to wear. Yet when we think about taking the old clothes to Goodwill, we have yet to do so. We don't need them any more. We absolutely hate the idea that they might one day be needed again. Yet we hang on to them.

It seems the big clothes are the last thing to go.
It is kind of a strange feeling. After decades of hiding my weight, it feels almost unnatural and almost embarrassing not to. I can't count the number of times I've walked outside, and had a moment of panic that I forgot to put everything on. And would have to actually check, because it just didn't feel like I had enough clothes on.

I can relate to her not seeing herself as thin. The mirror keeps trying to tell me I am, but I don't feel thin.

Hopefully at some point, i'll get used to the new me

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Greg and Treadmill

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I rarely get cravings for anything particular. But this last week being mostly in high heat & humidity places, I have been craving some ice cream.

Preferring not to stray from my diet and wanting to make my own. I found this yummy looking recipe for blue berry ice cream. Only down side is, I'll have to wait till I get back home to try it. I guess I can hold out a little longer

7efd0bc6708d5574dab7ba6938598955.jpg

And from the files of you get what you pay for, sorry Walmart, I think I'll pass.

342efd7ba4cc04a480f8be72d7ac4b63.jpg

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app