ST Cargo Cameras recommendations

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Hi all I am wanting to install Cameras in my box trucks I had forklifts damage multiple boxes that cost me a lot to repair .
can you share what equipment are u using and recommend me som cameras that worked for you to monitor
the box.
also is good to check on loads while on the move
thanks in advance.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cameras will not prevent damage from forklifts, only record the damage as it happens. Then you have to go after the shipper/consignee for restitution which could lead to a legal battle and alienation of a customer.

If I owned a straight truck it would be equipped with a quality pallet jack. Freight, whenever possible would be loaded on the tail and I would position it in the box. The reverse would be done when delivering. Yeah, I know, those pallets are so heavy and way to much work. Exercise like that could kill a truck driver.

Reactions: FlyingVan

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
... I know it won't protect the truck from damage by forklift , but it would help when the fork driver see the cameras he will more carefull... and yes I will have footage if damage occurs so the shippers insurance can pay , not mine
I have pallet jacks and driver does load sometimes , but we have shippers that doesn't allow that or even see how the truck is being loaded / driver not allowed to go in building or even look at freight by the time he pulls out of dock his doors are closed and sealed..
it's not about our drivers being out of shape old or lazy
They are young strong ppl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I picked up a 10k lbs load and before I backed into the dock I positioned my load bars so they wouldnt load it all the way in the front. Well, don't you know that they took it upon themselves to remove the load bars and load it in the front.

I made them unload and then reload. They complained but I respectfully told them that down the road at the weigh station I will be the one paying the fine not them.

What I am trying to say is that I dont trust any shipper to load the truck right or to secure the load properly. I would have to inspect it before sealing the doors.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
agreed. I just had a lot of headaches with forklifts in the past I had a couple of guys put there forks trough the BOX
and later I can't prove it. so I end up paying for the repairs
I had one of my other trucks get roof damage , the driver was getting loaded som light stuff but tall pallets
when the forklift was in there I guess when he was moving the pallets around he was picking them up too much and was hitting the roof... so it was all messed up....
so I think cameras R good idea for me if something does happen and I have it in my packet I can always demand
for them to fix. ya they won't like it , but I don't care the way I care about there freight not to get damaged and what not , they should becarefull with my equipment as well.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Running LTL both city and linehaul I had power over how my trailers were loaded. City trailers I could always rearrange the load as I delivered. Road trailers I had to trust the dock workers to load it right. If it was my truck I would be on the dock loading or supervising, no blind loads.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I can't watch them load, it won't get on my truck. Period, end of story. No debate.

Reactions: Moot

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
this is how we do it as well supervising the loading , but we have some costumers that pay top dollar and they are blind loads driver doesn't have any access to loads .. they are usually light but , we get som damages time to time it has happened and driver usually doesn't know till they brake the seal at the other end ... and thats when the problem comes ... no way of proving what happened.