Another Hino Throttle Problem

likemlow

Seasoned Expediter
Mechanic
Hi Everybody! I'm new to this forum and am hoping someone could help me figure out whats going on with this truck. Its a 2010 Hino 258 Flat bed. From a stop It Bogs real bad when you first press the gas pedal. It wont go over 5mph if you hold the pedal down. If you release the gas pedal and press it again, it will take off eventually. If you stab the brake pedal once while its Bogging it will take off as well. When the Engine Idles And the Exhaust Brake Light is on, It will take off from a stop no problem. So, in a way we can "drive" around this problem but it's Really annoying. We have replaced brake switch on the pedal. Swapped the Gas pedal And throttle Body from another truck, and verified the Throttle Plate Holes are present. We're considering swapping the Turbos as well because another weird thing the truck does, is make like a Waste gate Fluttering noise sometimes when you let off the throttle. I don't know if the two problems are related but other than that. The truck runs great everyday. Also, of course no Fault Codes out of our Snap-on Scanner Thanks for any help!

likemlow

Seasoned Expediter
Mechanic
Yea the turbo is worrisome. The driver reports the truck regens on long hauls on its own consistently and he only has to manual regen once maybe every three weeks.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Yea the turbo is worrisome. The driver reports the truck regens on long hauls on its own consistently and he only has to manual regen once maybe every three weeks.
Spin the turbo's shaft by hand and put a bit of side pressure on it. If it binds at all it's time for a new one.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Had a 08 338 today with a hellacious turbo flutter. If you, in drive stood on the throttle
and let off quickly it would badly flutter. I removed the cac hose and grabbed the throttle shaft. There should be almost no play between the butterfly and shaft. This one was flopping around. I put in a new Intake throttle valve and the flutter went away. When you check the turbo, remove the hose clamp on the LH CAC hose and give your throttle valve a wiggle. If its loose, replace it. There roughly 200. This may not be your issue, but its free and easy to check it.

Reactions: greasytshirt

likemlow

Seasoned Expediter
Mechanic
Hi! Finally got to check the turbo today during the LOF. It has Up and Down movement and Binds when turning the shaft while applying side pressure. Looks like the Turbo needs to be replaced. I'll do that and report back Thanks!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Avoid the temptation to get the turbo rebuilt and reusing the old vnt controller. Avoid aftermarket 'rebuilt' controllers. We've seen plenty of these cause myriad problems.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Hino123

likemlow

Seasoned Expediter
Mechanic
Ok, I can get a rebuilt Turbo with a New VNT Controller. Do you think that would be acceptable?

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
OEM Hino turbo's are the only option as far as im concerned. Keep the receipt and buy from a dealer. Did you ever inspect the intake throttle valve for play?

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, I can get a rebuilt Turbo with a New VNT Controller. Do you think that would be acceptable?
I have an 07 Hino. Got my turbo from Tri-State Turbos out of NJ. Greasy installed it, no problems now and it's been 9 months.

likemlow

Seasoned Expediter
Mechanic
Hi all, We replaced the Turbo yesterday with a rebuilt unit and a New VNT controller. That Solved all our problems. No more Bogging from a stop and No more Flutter noise. Has a Lot more power too. Thanks greasytshirt for helping me figure this out!