Newbee with some Questions

Tryguard

New Recruit
Researching
I am looking to get a way for a couple of years, maybe more. The family is grown and all doing their own thing. I am 54 years old with nothing but time on my hands. I have passport and TWIX card. I am thinking of buying a new ( not used) ford transit 350 and getting into the expediting business as an owner operator. I have a few questions.
  1. What can I make a mile? (I know it fluctuates, but give me a real number I can expect to hit.)
  2. Will experience affect pay? how?
  3. Who should I stay away from?

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome to EO, have fun and enjoy the madness.

If you could refine pay per mile, as in loaded mile, all miles including relocating. It would help with getting better idea about what expect. Most good carriers pay about the same it is just presented deferent.

Inexperience will most likely hurt, do to not knowing when and where to move after dropping. What loads to run or not will also have a impact. Some carriers don't give you much choice, (
something to ponder).

Read in the different forums here and elsewhere, most of the bad actors, and some of the good ones will be represented.

Tryguard

New Recruit
Researching
Yes, loaded miles, I thought that was obvious. So what are we talking, .75, .85, $1.00

The question of experience was pertaining to employers, not tricks of the trade, (knowing when to deadhead)

Will employers pay less to drivers with less experience?

And just to clarify,
  1. Who should I stay away from? Pertains to Companies or dispatchers.

Thank you

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not a company driver. So maybe someone that is a employee can chime in.

In this small, over capacity segment of trucking, there are few choices, as to whom to avoid. The tried and true method of talking to people that have experience with the company, or dispatch team you would like to work with seems to be most effective.

Pay per loaded mile is figured basically two ways. One method is fixed as per contract, the rate varies, contact the carrier. The other method is based on a percentage of the pay for the load. There are many factors that can influence what is a fair number. Right now rates to a van are under a lot of pressure. The carrier I am leased on with pays a base rate of 80 cents per loaded mile.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When talking to carriers it's important to ask. Do they pay deadhead, how many miles do you drive free before dh pay kicks in if they do. This mostly applies to per mile carriers and can have a huge impact on your bottom line.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Will employers pay less to drivers with less experience?
No. The load pays what the load pays. It'll pay the same to a driver in their first week or a driver that's been out here for 20 years.