Uber Freight

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well spit it out, UBER. Do you have cargo van loads and what are the rates? That being secret sets off my bull**** alarms

I am pro-app and eagerly awaiting a finished product. Kind of useless to me when my company keeps me loaded every day at above bid board rates tho

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I mean:. Hello Uber, can you pick up 2 of us at the Holiday inn and take us to the airport?

OR

"Hello Uber, I have some rush freight."
What kind?
"You know, like 2 skids"
What size?
"You know, probably 48x48"
How heavy?
"Say 2000# I think"
Are they ready now?
"They should be, maybe"
Where are they going?
"Um, I have a POBox but I'll see if I can a better one"

Dam, they hung up!

While nothing is impossible, Uber is not going to take on our type of expediting unless they can build an algorithm to run it. IMHO

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For now it's only FTL, both dry and reefer van.
They're not saying anything about deck or specialized, yet!
Although they do say they can handle same-day freight (subject to availability of course).
But don't think for a minute that it's not going to affect this industry and in the not to distant future either I believe.
The algorithms and the questions asked will get better.
Once they get into LTL, it will probably kill off U-ship unless they have any proprietary technology that Uber might want but not likely.

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
This will gut the local courier market, I think. Customer could simply enter pieces, weight, dimensions. A vehicle of sufficient capacity would be located and vectored to the customer. As a customer, you wouldn't be able to demand IMMEDIATE pickup, any more than an Uber "taxi" customer can. But if you need a couple of boxes taken across town same-day this would probably get it done.

What if you're a supplier in some little town who missed the window to get stuff on a truck and need 1700# of parts (2 skids) taken to an assembly plant 2.5 hours away NOW? Uber probably can't fill that need. They'd have to have a driver "on the clock" with a large enough vehicle to handle that load. Somebody who is willing to drive 150 miles or more as well. We're a strange lot -- equipped with bunks in the vehicle and comfortable sleeping at a strange Wal-Mart or truck stop. You ask your average person in Findlay, OH to go up to Sterling Heights Assembly (through Detroit) and they're not necessarily going to be comfortable with that. They might actually turn down your emergency load; just as the passenger-carriers can turn down requests.

Of course, if Uber hired on a guy with some 15 yo rust-bucket old Ford van... Chrysler might not like that either.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well, there are still rush couriers that do that work as well as the true expedited industry players and as the gig economy continues to grow from layoffs due to automation, you will see more "couriers" hanging out after hours and living in WM parking lots in hopes of getting one of those "emergency" runs. With electronic documents and electronic signatures becoming the norm,the "traditional" courier industry is hurting badly so expect them to continue to encroach into expedited territory.

This industry actually stands to lose more from Uber Rush in the short term than Uber Freight, imo.

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My hangup with the is anyone can drive your family members, and customers freight without any credentials.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure about freight, uber didn't get where they are by being stupid. I'm guessing they follow the law pretty close.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Two issues that I was thinking about as well. Uber profitability & compliance on this new platform.

How a company that is valued tens of billions of dollars but has yet to turn a profit boggles my mind. What ever happened to companies earning money?

As far as compliance, I assume Uber will make sure users have an active MC/DOT#. That's easily verifiable. But just as we've all seen in Expedited, the insurance game is where it's at. In Uber's user agreement they'll probably have wording that will absolve them of anything & everything. Will real players take part in their game?

Here's follow ups on two companies that were supposed to have big impacts in our industry.
Cargomatic & Otto ...

How 'Uber for truckers' Cargomatic burned through $15 million as it quietly pivoted away from being a tech company at all

Google’s Robocar Lawsuit Could Kill Uber’s Future and Send Execs to Prison

Last edited:

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As far as compliance, I assume Uber will make sure users have an active MC/DOT#.

They don't do any verification to insure you have the right insurance to carry passengers for hire...or worry about legalities. For example..technically it is ILLEGAL to carry passengers for pay in Ontario without specific (expensive) insurance and a valid municipal taxi licence (or bus operating authority)...yet Uber roams the land.

I agree...some kind of legal agreement absolving them of any of the
responsibilities a real carrier would have...just rake in their cut...a load pimp by another name.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They don't do any verification to insure you have the right insurance to carry passengers for hire...or worry about legalities. For example..technically it is ILLEGAL to carry passengers for pay in Ontario without specific (expensive) insurance and a valid municipal taxi licence (or bus operating authority)...yet Uber roams the land.

I agree...some kind of legal agreement absolving them of any of the
responsibilities a real carrier would have...just rake in their cut...a load pimp by another name.

When you are on the clock driving for uber you are being covered under their policy, they just ask for proof of insurance to make sure you are covered when not on the clock.

One would think they would do a more detailed check on a truck driver than they would a car driver.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
and yet with all that has gone on the last 5 yrs....many members hold out hope for some type of recovery?...IMO isn't happening...going to stay stagnant or get even worse....IMO again..expedite is now a part time income profession....unless you are willing to do 4-5,000 miles a week IF you can get that at what? .65-.75 a mile?..you are fooling yourself that that is a great rate...it stinks....
Have a great day...:)