Cargo Van To Decal or not to Decal...

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
With my short stay at Panther in 2007 we were told at orientation to cover the Panther name & # when we were not in service.

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Great stuff folks!

Second recruiter called today, decal research locally affirms taking them off not that big of real.

The stealth thing with decal makes sense on the blending in.

Do decals ever cause you any no entry issues? Bad example but something like taconic parkway ny, National parks for example?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With my short stay at Panther in 2007 we were told at orientation to cover the Panther name & # when we were not in service.
I'll have to take your word on that being I have never attended a Panther orientation.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do decals ever cause you any no entry issues? Bad example but something like taconic parkway ny, National parks for example?
I believe you are fine on most NYC parkways provided you are under 10,000 GVWR and have a passenger seat.

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
BTW, Panther & XPO, BOTH recruiter said a clear and no negotiating position regarding decals, must have them and Qualcomm too.

Starting to pick up some names in some posts this week for smaller outfits.
I need to figure out some vetting process other than glassfloor and indeed for the smaller companies. With the big guys, it is hard to argue with their business models and thus their requirements. NYSE listing gotta mean something.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I've been bothered both with and without signs a few times. I would say more so with than without. I have been bothered the most in my FedEx years, probably because FedEx is a company that most people know, and they wonder why that FedEx van sits there instead of delivering packages. I got so frustrated that I removed all the big signs, only left the small sign with the gray name, dot# and Green, OH. No more bother after that until I went all stealthy.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
The Panther Orientation lasted two days. For the physical I sat on a table had each knee hit with a rubber hammer, asked to do a knee bend and was pronounced fit. When they announced urine tests, at least 10 people walked out the back door.
It used to be in New Jersey, on the Garden State and 9 W and I think the Palisades no commercial vehicles but bus's were allowed. In Ct you had to have car or combination plates for the Merritt or Wilbur Cross Parkways.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great stuff folks!

Second recruiter called today, decal research locally affirms taking them off not that big of real.

The stealth thing with decal makes sense on the blending in.

For one you can't drive on line things like the Natchez Trace Parkway.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
However, the longer I've been in this and the more I sit, camping comforts do take priority over expediting for me
Yeah, the longer in the business, the finer the line between camping comforts and freight priorities.
THIS is why I want to be in Expediting. It's a Lifestyle.
It's a business first.

Moot and RoadTime have been doing this for a long time. As a newbie, you need to consider it a business first.

Reactions: RoadTime

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's a business first.

Moot and RoadTime have been doing this for a long time. As a newbie, you need to consider it a business first.
How many times have we seen this BUSINESS described as a LIFESTYLE on this forum!?

For all you folks that want a "lifestyle" sell your vans, move to South Florida & join a swingers club.

Imo these are the folks that are ruining our business .. not hard working eastern Europeans, Bigfoot, or anybody else ...

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It really is both in as far as one "lives" it 24/7 for usually weeks at a time while out in the "truck", "truck" being code for van/straight/semi whatever. So one has to prepare for the "life" portion which is eating/sleeping/bathing/hobbying/etc. during the down times and mandatory break times. It absolutely is a business and a career though. To be truly successful one must approach it as such and put in the hundreds of hours of study and preparation just the same as if one was going to be a successful mechanic/plumber/accountant/paralegal or whatever else. Way too many think all it takes is learning which lever works the wipers and which button tunes the radio and finding where the key goes and they're suddenly businesspeople ready to embark on a new career. The revolving door is over that way.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's a business first.

How many times have we seen this BUSINESS described as a LIFESTYLE on this forum!?

For all you folks that want a "lifestyle" sell your vans, move to South Florida & join a swingers club.

Imo these are the folks that are ruining our business .. not hard working eastern Europeans, Bigfoot, or anybody else ...

Lol, respect
Seems I hit a sore spot with the word "lifestyle", so let me rephrase.

When I see people with custom vans made for comfort wearing the most comfortable shoes imaginable, no stains on their shirts or jeans unless they are a sloppy eater, complaining about having to walk into a station "twice", and their biggest opponent is Boredom, <~ yea, that's the life I want to live.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's a business first.

Lol, respect

When I see people with custom vans made for comfort wearing the most comfortable shoes imaginable, no stains on their shirts or jeans unless they are a sloppy eater, complaining about having to walk into a station "twice", and their biggest opponent is Boredom, <~ yea, that's the life I want to live.

Oh, that paints a much clearer picture ... silly me.
Dude, go finance a new van today! Get a Sprinter, Promaster or Transit.
Don't go working for someone else. This BUSINESS is easy money! Why share any of that wealth? You sound prepared & ready to run your own BUSINESS.
Contact Geo .... he'll hook you up with a brand new Sprinter. He likes dealing with knowledgeable people that are ready to hit the ground running .....

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol, respect

Be careful what you wish for

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Solar