Throwback Thursday: Cargo Van Revenue in 1995

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I should add that in the early 1990's in expediting, if the carrier was unable to get you a load by 6:00pm when you were away from your home - they paid you $45 a night for a motel room. At that time that would get you a clean comfortable room for that kind of money.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see the $$ is about the same as today....first load was .85 all in 2nd load was a WTF.... 69 cents!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
in 95..that was good money back then....I think todays most carriers and brokers are still living back in that time period...yesterdays rates to todays cost of living...

Reactions: Mailer

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
in 95..that was good money back then....I think todays most carriers and brokers are still living back in that time period...yesterdays rates to todays cost of living...

Today, at least we got higher mileage deductions. Back then I think it was 30 cents/mile. Loose some, gain some, I guess :oops:

Wonder what was the cost for 2 hot dogs at the J then? Lol....

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
remember those day's well, a lot of hotel's had good deal's on hotel rooms, van's and straight truck's didn't have sleeper on them.
so after staying 10 nights in hotel room you got a free room, you learn system

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Goes to show me that O/O's now a days don't seem.to understand that we're getting paid the same or less then in the 1990's.
Now this isn't the only industry that this happened to when it comes to pay.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I should add that in the early 1990's in expediting, if the carrier was unable to get you a load by 6:00pm when you were away from your home - they paid you $45 a night for a motel room. At that time that would get you a clean comfortable room for that kind of money.
Don`t forget that $45 was generated by reducing our revenue to 46% on any load that took us closer to home.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ha, there was a time in the Roberts days they paid the motel stays. lol

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Ha, there was a time in the Roberts days they paid the motel stays. lol

Dave, it's amazing to think that in today's freight environment.

The net effect was it forced the carrier to keep the fleet and freight levels equal because it would become very expensive to over staff and pay thousands of dollars daily in trucks not moving.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: davekc

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is ridiculous why are we letting ourselves get screwed today?

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
What do you have in mind to solve the issue?
Gather up the troops. If everyone was on the same page we could have a strike and send them all scrambling. I've been talking a lot about this with other drivers and what I'm hearing is a lack of leadership. Another guy said truckers don't like each other but I think that's b.s. because I get along with everyone. Drivers gotta understand we're all on the same team.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What do you have in mind to solve the issue?
Gather up the troops. If everyone was on the same page we could have a strike and send them all scrambling. I've been talking a lot about this with other drivers and what I'm hearing is a lack of leadership. Another guy said truckers don't like each other but I think that's b.s. because I get along with everyone. Drivers gotta understand we're all on the same team.
Spoken like a true union man.