Questions About Driving For An Owner

Jedidad

Active Expediter
Researching
  1. You find an owner here on EO or through a carrier, do you send a resume and do an in-person interview or phone or Skype?
  2. What about references? Do owners give out contact info on current/previous drivers?
  3. Does the driver get to inspect the truck beforehand or does the owner just send photos? (if you're going to be living in it you don't want some nasty junker, right?)
  4. Is there a driver/owner contract where it specifies home time, pay structure, etc.?
  5. Since a driver can turn down loads, are there "performance" milestones that have to be met? Such as owner expects "X" number of miles per month? No tickets or failed inspections, etc?
  6. If a truck is down for repairs does the owner pay for a hotel room for the driver?
  7. What about terminating? Does the driver and owner give the other "X" number of days notice?
Thanks.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would want to meet an owner before taking possession of the truck. As far as the rest, I wouldn't agree to any contract that didn't satisfactory address those issues. Last but not least, have a lawyer of your choice inspect the contract before signing. Any owner that objects isn't one I would drive for.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
  1. You find an owner here on EO or through a carrier, do you send a resume and do an in-person interview or phone or Skype?
  2. What about references? Do owners give out contact info on current/previous drivers?
  3. Does the driver get to inspect the truck beforehand or does the owner just send photos? (if you're going to be living in it you don't want some nasty junker, right?)
  4. Is there a driver/owner contract where it specifies home time, pay structure, etc.?
  5. Since a driver can turn down loads, are there "performance" milestones that have to be met? Such as owner expects "X" number of miles per month? No tickets or failed inspections, etc?
  6. If a truck is down for repairs does the owner pay for a hotel room for the driver?
  7. What about terminating? Does the driver and owner give the other "X" number of days notice?
Thanks.
The answers are as varied as anything else.

1. Usually a phone conversation and if they want you then you have to fill out a carrier ap and qualify
2. Always ask for references
3. If feasible inspection would be smart but expect to pay travel expenses. #2 might help avoid the need.
4 If things aren't spelled out in a contract you might want to look elsewhere.
5. Depends on the owner like every question you asked.
6. See #5
7. Driver almost always needs to give notice to get final settlement. Owners not so much, giving many drivers notice could lead to a trashed or abandoned vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: davekc and ucfd608

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
#1 just call him and talk about it
#2 2 sides to every story I could give you the number to my fat cousin Chris Cross and tell you he drove for me for ten years but I wont tell you I paid him with IOUs and if he tells you I am a nice guy I will send him a 12 pack.
#3 you want a job or not? why should I get my hands dirty? if you want to pick up the truck and inspect it on your way to orientation. your lucky I will give you gas money to get it there.if its filth then clean it out.
#4 you have not even started and want to know when you get home and you think you get paid for all this glamorous life style you will be living? go home anytime you want as long as you pay for the fuel there and to next load. you get 40% of
#5 if your offered a load take it or someone else will.
#6 it will most likely take a week before they even look at my truck so you can sleep in the truck and they might have a drivers lounge with a tv,shower some even have roach coaches come by a couple times a day.
#7 If you do not run I have the right to terminate our contract. if you want to quit give me a couple weeks notice and even though the list of potential victims is a mile long and you clean my truck out I am still gonna charge back to recover my truck and a fee to clean it cause the next guy that picked it up on his way to orientation said it was a freaking wreck and he needed gas money to get to orientation.

Reactions: VSprinter

Jedidad

Active Expediter
Researching
"...#4 you have not even started and want to know when you get home and you think you get paid for all this glamorous life style you will be living?..."

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or an ass. I'm just trying to get the lay of the land here sir.

Reactions: xiggi

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Thanks.

1: Both, EO classifieds or carriers will have a list of fleet owner with openings.
Usually, unless you are close or willing to travel to the interview, it is done over the phone.

2: Some will and some wont. Personally we have no issues in giving out references. Shoot, you can google us. We have nothing to hide.

3: If you want to see it and want to travel to do it you can otherwise we usually send pictures.

4:If you are smart there is. We provide a complete contract with everything spelled out.

5: Some may have that, we do not. We do have a rate average that we like to see loads pay.

6: I would think any decent owner would feel obligated, We do, also if it is down for a lengthy repair we will send you home till it is done.

7: Drivers should give notice. It is the rite thing to do. Owners kinda do both ways. Sometimes yes, most times no because driver that are being fired have a bad habit of not returning trucks or they tear them up. Not all drivers do this but the majority will, sad to say.

Hope this helps, Be careful in your search but dont be a big PIA either. Some things just are not able to be done. both parties are taking a risk.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
"...#4 you have not even started and want to know when you get home and you think you get paid for all this glamorous life style you will be living?..."

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or an ass. I'm just trying to get the lay of the land here sir.

Sorry if I offended you in any way just being sarcastic. in reality money and home time is a crap shoot. sure most will pay you on a percentage.but it has a lot to do with the carrier your leased to cause even 90% of 0 is still 0. depending on your home location you may sit at home waiting for a load longer than you really want to and at times you will be running good and not want to break the cycle to go home.so your home time will vary.just understand this is not a 9-5 job or even a monday -friday job